Looking to upgrade my tonearm and cartridge

eastofthesun

Hi guys i am looking to upgrade my tone arm and cartrdige . Suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers!
Anand :)

My current setup is:

STEREO: Transrotor Zet 1 TT, Transrotor phono 8.2 MC reference phono stage, Ortofon rondo red cartridge,MSB Platinum iv DAC, Electrocompaniet PC -1 CD player, mola mola Kaluga power amplifiers. Transparent audio Ultra cables and interconnects. Mac book air with Roon and transparent audio USB cable. Joseph Audio Perspectives Floor standers. Blue jeans CAT6a cables.

You're looking for MC? And a rough budget if you've set yourself one would be helpful.

The tonearm can be chosen to match the chosen cart.

One possible option is the Audio Technica ART 9.

Second option is to buy a Denon DL 103/R and send it to The Soundsmith in NY for a retip with their sapphire cantilever and their regular diamond stylus (their top of the line diamond is apparently very demanding on proper tonearm setup). The cartridge body can also be rebodied with choice of wood bodies at Soundsmith. This changes will elevate the humble Denon DL 103 to a much higher level, while also substantially bringing down the tracking force from a high 2.5 grams to about 1.5g.

You could also study the Ortofon Quintet lineup.

I would love to recommend a London Decca (moving iron) cartridge but they need a matching damped arm or a good unipivot arm to work properly (plus I assume your phono stage is MC only).

Last edited:
One possible option is the Audio Technica ART 9.

Second option is to buy a Denon DL 103/R and send it to The Soundsmith in NY for a retip with their sapphire cantilever and their regular diamond stylus (their top of the line diamond is apparently very demanding on proper tonearm setup). The cartridge body can also be rebodied with choice of wood bodies at Soundsmith. This changes will elevate the humble Denon DL 103 to a much higher level, while also substantially bringing down the tracking force from a high 2.5 grams to about 1.5g.

You could also study the Ortofon Quintet lineup.

I would love to recommend a London Decca (moving iron) cartridge but they need a matching damped arm or a good unipivot arm to work properly (plus I assume your phono stage is MC only).

Hi Jls001 , thank you for ur reccomendations, I have been talking to Jeff Joseph of Joseph audio and he was speaking very highly of the soundsmith Hyperion and the Lyra atlas or the brinkmann modified EMT with a kuzma 4 point arm.
Cheers!
Anand

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back