Looming WAR between Hathway & DEN - make the most of it

nomdeplume

Hi All

A couple of months ago, our local Cable provider in South Delhi shifted lock, stock and barrel from Hathway to DEN. We got new set-top boxes, and cable packages became somewhat favorable.

Last Sunday, Hathway employees (direct from Co.) came all over our locality, and offered us FREE connections for 3 months at least, if we were to replace the DEN boxes with theirs.

I got to talk to them in detail. This is the gameplan:

1. Cable companies are under pressure to get as many subscribers as possible before May 2012.
2. They are willing to acquire customers at any price - as long as customer pays for new box, they can give service free for 6 months (if u ask nicely).
In markets where Digitization has already happened, they are willing to give away the boxes too.
3. Hathway has a plan to hit back at DTH with HD, and HD+ offering (he showed me a press release, and offered to give me a demo at his office this week).
4. Hathway local franchisees expect the HD box prices to come down in the near future (currently its about Rs. 6000+ tax for the entire year for 9 HD channels).
5. They expect DEN to upgrade their offers in the next few days too.

Evidently, DEN knows that Hathway is sniffing - they called us to tell us that Dec, Jan, Feb bills are waived off for our existing service !!

So, all members of HFV - hang on before committing to annual packages with DTH. There could be positive surprises - at least in compulsory addressable markets where these guys have a market-share problem.

I intend to go to their office on Saturday to check out the HD STB, and will update the community on my first impressions.

Cheers,

Aman aka Nomdeplume

I don't remember who my cable operator is ... but his guys had recently come over to inform that we should not pay our cable bills (@ Rs. 350 / month) for the next 3 months to just about anyone .... am in South Delhi too.

This thing is happening in vashi for long. Got my SD settop box free 2 years back. 4 or 4 times the bill was reduced to Rs 50 for a stretch of 4-6 months

BTW the operator is you scod 18 , stb is cisco

Hi All

A couple of months ago, our local Cable provider in South Delhi shifted lock, stock and barrel from Hathway to DEN. We got new set-top boxes, and cable packages became somewhat favorable.

Last Sunday, Hathway employees (direct from Co.) came all over our locality, and offered us FREE connections for 3 months at least, if we were to replace the DEN boxes with theirs.

I got to talk to them in detail. This is the gameplan:

1. Cable companies are under pressure to get as many subscribers as possible before May 2012.
2. They are willing to acquire customers at any price - as long as customer pays for new box, they can give service free for 6 months (if u ask nicely).
In markets where Digitization has already happened, they are willing to give away the boxes too.
3. Hathway has a plan to hit back at DTH with HD, and HD+ offering (he showed me a press release, and offered to give me a demo at his office this week).
4. Hathway local franchisees expect the HD box prices to come down in the near future (currently its about Rs. 6000+ tax for the entire year for 9 HD channels).
5. They expect DEN to upgrade their offers in the next few days too.

Evidently, DEN knows that Hathway is sniffing - they called us to tell us that Dec, Jan, Feb bills are waived off for our existing service !!

So, all members of HFV - hang on before committing to annual packages with DTH. There could be positive surprises - at least in compulsory addressable markets where these guys have a market-share problem.

I intend to go to their office on Saturday to check out the HD STB, and will update the community on my first impressions.

Cheers,

Aman aka Nomdeplume

Wish this is the case for South tooo!:clapping:

Back