Low audio output in some receiver channels - solved!

raptor77

Folks, I struggled with an issue for the last couple of weeks where my left channel audio output went down compared to the others. Scoured the web but found very few helpful links - maybe one or two threads in other forums where this was asked. Since I solved it, thought I would post it here in case any of you face this issue in future.

Issue: Low (not nil) audio output in one channel of the AVR. Very obvious based on audible output and vibrations of the speaker drivers.
AVR: Denon 2311

Solution: Microprocessor reset. Switch off (or keep off) the AVR using power button. Then press Surround < and > selection buttons on the frontplate of the AVR together and then press and hold power button simultaneously. Wait for the AVR display to flash 4 times before releasing all buttons.

Steps/checks tried before this (did not work):
Checked cables, banana plugs - even removed and reset the cables into banana plugs.
Changed/swapped a few cables into the amp.
Switched off and restarted the amp

That's so coincidental! I too faced a similar problem which was addressed by turning off power button on AVR.

That's so coincidental! I too faced a similar problem which was addressed by turning off power button on AVR.
I am having a similar issue with my onkyo htr380 avr since last 3 days but the issue is with all channels. The sound is very dampened and low and not open, intense and clear as it used to be earlier. I don't see any changes in the settings- the dynamic vol, dynamic eq is on, the crossover frequency is as it is and the cable connections are alright. Earlier the main vol at 30 percent would be enough to fill the room but now even at 50 percent it is not sounding open and clear.

Last weekend i went out of town leaving the home with a distant relative who has a 10 year old kid. I fear he must have done something, because on my return i faced with this issue. I cant ask him directly or his dad because i think it would be wrong to do so and anuhow they would be denying. I wonder What could have possibly gone wrong. I have switched off and on the avr too many times but it didn't help. Would resetting the avr help? And how should i do it?

Last edited:
I am having a similar issue with my onkyo htr380 avr since last 3 days but the issue is with all channels. The sound is very dampened and low and not open, intense and clear as it used to be earlier. I don't see any changes in the settings- the dynamic vol, dynamic eq is on, the crossover frequency is as it is and the cable connections are alright. Earlier the main vol at 30 percent would be enough to fill the room but now even at 50 percent it is not sounding open and clear.

Last weekend i went out of town leaving the home with a distant relative who has a 10 year old kid. I fear he must have done something, because on my return i faced with this issue. I cant ask him directly or his dad because i think it would be wrong to do so and anuhow they would be denying. I wonder What could have possibly gone wrong. I have switched off and on the avr too many times but it didn't help. Would resetting the avr help? And how should i do it?
U will have to check the user manual for the steps to reset

Googled how to reset the onkyo receiver and after resetting its working like before. The sound is punchy again. Thanks to the forum and its members! Would have been difficult otherwise for me to know the issue and find solution.

Googled how to reset the onkyo receiver and after resetting its working like before. The sound is punchy again. Thanks to the forum and its members! Would have been difficult otherwise for me to know the issue and find solution.
Awesome good u didn’t ask the kid hahaha

Last edited:

Glad all is well.....better to hint to the relative that your system was not working the way you left it....and you had to pay to get it fixed...that will instill fear and touch me not thoughts in their minds should you in future let them stay again in your absence....else make a lock and key cabinet and unplug the entire system......

Awesome good u didn’t ask the kid hahaha
Yeah that's what I was thinking

Glad all is well.....better to hint to the relative that your system was not working the way you left it....and you had to pay to get it fixed...that will instill fear and touch me not thoughts in their minds should you in future let them stay again in your absence....else make a lock and key cabinet and unplug the entire system......
Locking the stuff would be better

Back