Low cost streamer

pnredkar

Hi all,

I am new to the concept of media players. So I needed some help here. I tried to search but did not get concrete information.

I already have a receiver, HDTV, NAS, wireless-N/G router. My requirements of the streamer are as follows:
- Wireless connectivity (preferably N, though G is okay)
- Front USB slot
- HDMI (audio/video) output
- Co-axial audio output
- Play mp3/WAV or other lossless formats
- Plays various video formats (mainly avi)
- Preferably plays HD video
- 3D support not required
- Internet streaming not required
- Anything that I have not mentioned is probably not required

What are my options? And where can I buy them in Bangalore? Now can I get something that suits my requirement in the Rs.3000-4000 price range. If not, what is the minimum that I need to spend.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

No reply after 24 hours :sad:

Is this price point unachievable? If so, let me know the lowest that I will have to spend. Wireless connectivity is a must.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Hi,
I would suggest that you could buy WD live media player, slightly above yr mentioned budget ,but worth it.cheers

Thanks Umesh for your feedback.

How much do I get a WD live player for. As far as I have read, WD live media requires USB wireless adapter. How much does such adapter cost? Any suggested products.

Thanks Baiju. What is the difference between the three?

Guess, I should closely follow the other thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/18774-himedia-hd600b-wd-tv-live-india-pune.html

Both these players are being discussed there.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Last edited:
Thanks Umesh for your feedback.

How much do I get a WD live player for. As far as I have read, WD live media requires USB wireless adapter. How much does such adapter cost? Any suggested products.

Thanks Baiju. What is the difference between the three?

Guess, I should closely follow the other thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/18774-himedia-hd600b-wd-tv-live-india-pune.html

Both these players are being discussed there.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

All three use the same firmware.

hd600a has no internal hdd slot while 600b and 600c have.

600b also has a visual fluorescent display and touch sensitive keys. Also it is a fanless model.

wifi is not supported on this model but may be some other advanced models you can do that or you may conside the HTMedia players. I guess all the models of HTMedia supports WIFI.

/Alok

Thanks Alok and Baiju.

I think I will go with Himedia 600 series. 600C is a design with fan. So I don't want that. 600A or 600B is the question now.

How much performance difference does it make streaming from a local disk vs. streaming from wi-fi N (the highest spec wi-fi). Or rather what are the reasons to go for 600B over 600A if I have a NAS accessible through wi-fi.

- Prasad.

600a and 600b uses the same chipset and firmware. If you don't need internal HDD support, USB 3.0, esata etc. then 600a will be VFM over 600b. You can access files from your NAS or PC through wifi or using LAN cable.

I have 600b wifi and I played a 4GB 1080p BDRip file over wifi without any stutter.

600C is a design with fan. So I don't want that.
That fan is for cooling the internal hard disk.

How much performance difference does it make streaming from a local disk vs. streaming from wi-fi N (the highest spec wi-fi). Or rather what are the reasons to go for 600B over 600A if I have a NAS accessible through wi-fi.
You can either stream media from internet or you can stream media though LAN.

For streaming via internet through wifi, even if it is n, flawless streaming would depend on the internet speed (your d/l and the website's server's u/l speed).

For 1080p streaming through LAN through wifi, you would require in the order of 300Mbps. There may not be flawless playback even with n.

Ontherocks: Thanks for your feedback.

That fan is for cooling the internal hard disk.

I don't like the humming sound of the fan. It's too distracting (atleast for me). If I require an HDD, I will go with 700B.

You can either stream media from internet or you can stream media though LAN.

For streaming via internet through wifi, even if it is n, flawless streaming would depend on the internet speed (your d/l and the website's server's u/l speed).

For 1080p streaming through LAN through wifi, you would require in the order of 300Mbps. There may not be flawless playback even with n.

I have a wi-fi N enabled router so I can check the playback quality. If it stutters, I have the option (though slightly cumbersome) of wired LAN.

- Prasad.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back