Lumin X1 vs P1 vs T3

Yeraditya

Hi All. Wanted some advice on people who have experienced all of the above on their thought on P1 vs X1 vs T3.

Currently I have a Octvave V80SE Integrated and pair it with ProAC K6 signature. Trying to understand what source would work best/reasonably with the above set up.

Hi All. Wanted some advice on people who have experienced all of the above on their thought on P1 vs X1 vs T3.

Currently I have a Octvave V80SE Integrated and pair it with ProAC K6 signature. Trying to understand what source would work best/reasonably with the above set up.
I would watch the replies with a lot of interest as it is something even I've been contemplating. And iam leaning towards the P1 as of now.

T3 - No digital inputs. So can't feed my CD transport to it. Has a switch mode power supply, no output lundahll transformers, no built in preamp, no hdmi, no fiber ethernet input.
P1 - has digital inputs, comes with the X1 power supply, has output lundahll transformers, has preamp functionality, has hdmi for YouTube music videos.

The X1 power supply alone costs 3500 usd. So adding that to the cost of a lumin T3, gets us everything else for another usd 2000. So if one is okay with the price of the T3, then suddenly the P1 looks incredible value for money. Now add the fiber ethernet imput. And you save another usd 3k on the innuos phoenix net. Just get a router like a TP link with a fiber optic port and one is sorted 😁😁

Having said the above, I haven't heard any of the 3 🤣🤣🤣. But I will go for a all-in-one streamer cum dac, instead of seperates. As I don't want to faff with cables and figuring out which input sounds best etc. And if one is into that kind of thing, an additional power cord 😅😅

Unconfirmed rumours are that the X-2 will be released within 2 months....
I can safely hazard a guess that the new X2 will be well out of my reach 😂😂😂. So the T3 vs P1 is where iam currently stuck. I don't need a preamp really, already have 3 that I really like. So still wondering if the delta in sound quality between the T3 and P1 warrants the additional outlay.

After some heavy head scratching iam buying none of the above. I guess I will just get a lumin or aurender transport and get a old tube dac, which I had loved in the past.

The Audial guy understand the 1541 chip better than most. He’s been around for more than two decades. His dacs are very musical and very good sounding. Don’t get fooled by the price. It’s very well engineered. He pays a lot of attention to the power supply which usually goes missing in cheaper dacs.

The Audial guy understand the 1541 chip better than most. He’s been around for more than two decades. His dacs are very musical and very good sounding. Don’t get fooled by the price. It’s very well engineered. He pays a lot of attention to the power supply which usually goes missing in cheaper dacs.
Got it... Thanks 😁😁👍

Finally ended up getting the lumin P1. Its outright magical. I cant recommend it enough. The detail and sound stage is jaw droppingly good. You won't be disappointed even one tiny bit.
Hearty congratulations on getting the lumin 😁👍

Very happy to know you are pleased with it. Definitely is a lovely peice of kit. Enjoy and please do post a few pics for me to drool on 🤣🤣

Finally ended up getting the lumin P1. Its outright magical. I cant recommend it enough. The detail and sound stage is jaw droppingly good. You won't be disappointed even one tiny bit.
Congratulations 👍
I'm Eagerly waiting for Some Pictures, Detailed listening experience, comparing dedicated DACs to the DAC ability of P1, which will be very interesting.
If it works out, I'm Planning to upgrade from Terminator and U2 Mini, Consolidating to One System For Movies and Music. P1 fits the bill perfectly.

Congratulations 👍
I'm Eagerly waiting for Some Pictures, Detailed listening experience, comparing dedicated DACs to the DAC ability of P1, which will be very interesting.
If it works out, I'm Planning to upgrade from Terminator and U2 Mini, Consolidating to One System For Movies and Music. P1 fits the bill perfectly.
I think Hifi Rose 150b is the only other one I know with AV chops. And it has on board storage too. But the sound quality is still a mystery.

Will add pictures soon, as i'm working on the A.V Rack :).

Currently I have had the experience at home of following:

Lumin P1 to Octave V80 SE to ProAC k6 signature.

Before going there:
I use synergistic research XLR cables between P1 and Octave(have mogami 2803 and Oyaide XLRs here, both of which are no match for the synergistic research XLR interms of lower end retrival, sound stage and resolution ! Mind = blown difference here, many blind tests done with other guests as well).

In speaker cables I tested two speaker cables before I ran out of money :). I have studio connections abbey road as well as Oyaide Tunami Speaker cables. I think its a case of choice. The oyaide cables are more stronger on the ear and the weight of the song is higher. I prefer the studio connections cable as its very soft on the ear, analogish and fatigue free. Trasience is strong on both.
So, keeping the cables out of the picture.

I have tried four sources for the Octave plus ProAC combination. Before going further into the sources, at the onset the generic sound signature of the combination is quite simply put - very tightly controlled. Not very tubey. Just mild overtones of tube. I tried using some 300B amplifier(cayin mk2) and found it impossible to listen to after listening to the octaves. The octaves can control ProACs like hendrix can control the guitar. I had used the Octaves on the Q acoustics concept 500 earlier and the sound was utterly musical but the control was very poor, except for the ultra smooth midrange and buttery vocals. The dynamic range changes would make the concept 500 go a bit mental. Too loud muddy etc. With the ProACs its just utterly tight. The bass is strong, the resolution is very high, very strong transience. However, what you loose out is the harmonic sweetness. This is substantially reduced but you gain soundstage, insight, PRAT :).
So overall Octave plus ProAC is exactly that. Very clear, very seperated, high trasience and very strong control on dynamic range. Not lush or warm. Inviting but not loving. The rhythm and groove is the dominant ear pallette. Vocals are just one other instrument.

Coming to source components. I have tried 4 source components.
1. HQ player to Holo May LTE 2
2. Lumin P1
3. Cambridge CXN v2
4. MAC to hifiman EF400

The options 3 and 4 are not even worth considering on this system. Cambridge is suited for people who like detail and V shape(which I was until I was blown away by the current chain). On the current chain its makes the sytem sound dull and boring and slow and lacking in every area. It was much better paired with my earlier set up of Parasound Halo P6 and Q Acoustics Concept 500. That synergy was good. On this chain though, even EDM sounded like 60s Jazz. I tried it for a couple of days and stopped trying.

Same with EF400. The output voltage was very poor to be able to send info to the Octave.

Net, net looks like you need really high voltage sources to make the system sound like a 30 lakh system.

Back to the sources. I tried a lot to find a used Mola Mola tambaqui on the market(still trying :)). But ended up with lumin P1 after some testimonials from other X1 users. Mola mola can wait. I already have the Holo May ln my headphone system and that is my second source. Let me compare both of the systems here.

1. Holo May is utterly musical and makes you loose yourself in the music. After a point you are essentially relaxed and dont bother much with whats playing. The midrange is buttery smooth. The vocals are a bit recessed but not as much as lumin. The sound stage is okay. The bass is there but again comes out only when the artist intends it to take centre stage - like thunder etc. Otherwise, its very coherent, organic and detailed. Melifluos.
2. Lumin P1 is totally different beast( i strongly recommend the fibre optic cable here). The system loses a bit of that life that is in holo but what you get is utterly captivating sound. You are mesmerised by the details and presentation. The layering is almost scandalously good. You can hear things in a song that I bet you never knew existed. The transience and dynamic range is through the roof. Sound stage is almost 270 degrees. You will hear sound from well outside the speakers and the room. Sometimes even from the side of the ear. What you gain is total understanding of each instrument and its role in the song. I still get goose bumps thinking about ella Fitzgerald and the vibrations she made on each word. The timbre isnt as good as holo. You will not here one song, like in holo may. You will here many many songs in a single track. Each time lumin makes you here a different complement of instruments. Its warm but if Holo was 30 percent warm lumin is 5 percent warm. Its bass control is mindblowing, same with midbass. Midrange lucidlity is the only area where holo wins hands down.

Back to Lumin P1 and one big plus. Lumin sounds the same at even very very low volumes. With every other Source I tried I had to keep increasing the volume. This is the first source componet where I can listen at 50 db and feel the same way as 70/80 db. This is due to its leedh volume control I presume. But this could be a clincher for many.

Having done the comparisions. Let me address the sources I tried.
1. I tired Roon
2. I tired HQ Player into USB
3. Lumins own app(tidal/Qobuz)
4. Hard disk(DSD files)
5. Apple TV HDMI
6. Airplay

I tried their upsampling and non upsampled modes. The broad findings did not change much. Clearly Airplay and spotify were the worst performing by a distance. If you need to use Airplay I would recommend using your MAC system audio directly. This is the best way to listen to Apple music, unless you want to do HDMI ARC from Apple TV. The phone Airplay sucked as much as spotify and i never managed to listen to these again.

What it tells me is that lumins own app for everything else plus HDMI ARC for apple music/youtube should do.

As a one box solution its perfect. The dac is very neutral and analog sounding. May be 5 percent warm with a tube amplifer :). But its presentation is one of a kind and it has the abilty to bring each artist of a song to the forefront. Strongly recommended for anyone who likes these things. You loose velvetyness. You gain everything else including the almost exclusive advantage of low volume listening.

I think Hifi Rose 150b is the only other one I know with AV chops. And it has on board storage too. But the sound quality is still a mystery.
I strongly considered this. A mentor of sorts who has auditioned and owned both said exactly this. That lumin has 20 percent better sound while 150b has many many many features - swiss army knife is how he put it. I simply took the decision to go with P1. Also, the rose is expected to sell at lower resale price than lumin. The build quality is very different on the devices. Thats what I have been told.

Superb insights Yeraditya!

Enjoy the journey - it's as important as reaching your destination.
Looking forward to when you can share some pictures of your room and setup.

@Yeraditya ...thanks for the detailed and lovely write up 😍👍..

Especially since you state your previous experiences with parasound and qacoustics concept 500, I can really relate to your findings and experience.
I wish more reviewers posted comparative opinions, like your comparison with the holo may, as it helps to understand the sound signature better. I think I have a idea as to how it sounds now.
Glad you are really happy with your system now. Enjoy 😁😁👍

I strongly considered this. A mentor of sorts who has auditioned and owned both said exactly this. That lumin has 20 percent better sound while 150b has many many many features - swiss army knife is how he put it. I simply took the decision to go with P1. Also, the rose is expected to sell at lower resale price than lumin. The build quality is very different on the devices. Thats what I have been told.
I have the Hifi Rose RS250 and I can tell you this is true. I use multiple external dacs, never the internal DAC of the Rose which is meh. I have ABed the Rose with an Aurender N150. Aurender is clearly better sounding even in casual listening, though I am not sure if it's artificially processed smoothness or just better as a streamer. But the Rose has too many good features to give up. Album art on the project screen is a BIG plus for me, totally adds to the experience of the music.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back