Lyngdorf TDAI 2170

panditji

Finally got my Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 amplifier and set it up today.. Out of the box, the sound is different from my Luxman but after room correction, the sound is crystal clear, transparent with fabulous control over the bass which has forever been a problem in my room. My initial impressions are of a slightly digital sound (not warm as Luxman) but I am sure I will get used to it as I have got immense clarity in the tradeoff with zero boominess....

It's just the first couple of hours and I am hoping the sound settles after 20-30 hours.. Another advantage is that I have pushed my speakers against the back wall as you can see in the pictures which increases my room size and my listening position is in the corner..Being in the corner does not give me any soundstage or imaging but the clarity is outstanding. I will be playing around with the speaker positions and listening position (want to see the effect of the room correction with the speakers and chair in a perfect triangle) and see the differences before settling down.... I also want to check if the Chord 2Qute fed into the Lyngdorf improves the clarity further or if the Lyngdorf inbuilt DAC is good enough... Will also try and see if by adding bass traps in the 2 corners behind the speakers makes any difference as that is the only room treatment I can do in this room...

The power supply in the amplifier is linear instead of a switch mode which saved me extra money as I had been contemplating one.. It takes voltage from 100-240 and gives the amp the correct voltage it needs and therefore makes a stabilizer redundant (I still have a Voltage Stabilizer at the mains)..The setup and room correction is a breeze and I can even connect my trusted NAD 521 CDP as well to the Lyngdorf which I was thinking of selling earlier. I will now keep it along with my CDs...

All in all , a superb product for people like me who cannot do much room treatment and are lazy...

The Luxman would have to go now and I will check if the 2Qute makes any difference or not to the sound fed into the Lyngdorf...If anyone wants to join in the experiments, you are more than welcome....

Attachments

• IMG_8894.JPG
    IMG_8894.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_8895.JPG
    IMG_8895.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_8896.JPG
    IMG_8896.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 190
BTW - if your listening position is in the corner - is there a chance yo can rotate the rig @45 deg so the speakers fire at your listening position ??

Try out the Luxman that way and then decide which one you want to retain.

Even if the Luxman sounds good that way and you decide to still sell the luxman due to aesthetic issues - atleast you would have experimented.

Those VU meters look great.

PS ; I like the Owlie in the pic. I have one too but made of clay.

regards

Thanks Mahesh... My room is the living room and you know how much changes can be allowed..I love the Luxman and so does the wife especially the VU meters but I could not make any changes to the room... However I will try and experiment with both the amplifiers in the next couple of weeks and play around with the room placements as much as I can.....

Congratulations Panditji! I must compliment you on the room too, looks beautiful and will definitely make the music that much more enjoyable. Do let us know what your experiments reveal. After all, we are true seekers of truth ;)

Just a question? I wonder what effect the glass centre table has on the SQ. Have you tried listening with and without the table, or without the glass?

Best wishes

50:50

if the glass table goes - he has no place to keep his beers or single malt :)

its a wonderful accessory to add to the ambience....

regards

Congratulations Panditji! I must compliment you on the room too, looks beautiful and will definitely make the music that much more enjoyable. Do let us know what your experiments reveal. After all, we are true seekers of truth ;)

Just a question? I wonder what effect the glass centre table has on the SQ. Have you tried listening with and without the table, or without the glass?

Best wishes

Thank you sir. I did remove the glass table earlier with the Luxman and it did improve the sound but could not muster enough courage to voice my opinion as I already knew the answer. A living room without a centre table does look odd unless you are a bachelor. Even the corner where I sit has big glass windows which are covered with blinds as the missus did not like the option of using heavy curtains. Hence the Lyngdorf even though the Luxman has a fabulous rich sound but the room did not bring out the best. The Lyngdorf sounds a bit lighter due to its room correction in the frequencies as compared to the Luxman but the trade-off ensures the sound is clearer without boominess. Still need to experiment with both amplifiers before taking a final call.

So I have been comparing the in built DAC in Lyngdorf with the Chord 2Qute for the past week and have not been able to find out any discernable difference between the two.... So the Chord 2Qute also has to go as the Lyngdorf does the D/A conversion as good as the Chord 2Qute if not better...
Maybe it's my ears or the different Room Correction setups but I am now appreciating the Lyngdorf even more as more details trickle through (I know it sounds cliched) and I can finally hear and feel the bass the Tannoys are capable of churning without the boominess....

Congratulations! Welcome to the Integrated club!

As Kishore said earlier, you have a wonderful listening room. Looks like a great place to listen to music. Living room setups, while have a bit of compromise in terms of acoustics, make up for that by involving the other members of the family in the listening experience. The DSP in the Lyngdorf is a complete game changer though. Makes living room listening a completely different experience.

Could you at some point share some info on the Room Correction setup?

Enjoy the music!

Regards.

Congratulations! Welcome to the Integrated club!

As Kishore said earlier, you have a wonderful listening room. Looks like a great place to listen to music. Living room setups, while have a bit of compromise in terms of acoustics, make up for that by involving the other members of the family in the listening experience. The DSP in the Lyngdorf is a complete game changer though. Makes living room listening a completely different experience.

Could you at some point share some info on the Room Correction setup?

Enjoy the music!

Regards.

Thank you for your kind words Nikhil. My room is a huge compromise acoustically... The Room Correction software is super easy to use. Basically, they give a mic and a stand which you need to place at your listening position and other random sports in the room which helps it to map the room dimensions and stuff inside the room which may affect certain frequencies..Once the software has enough knowledge about the room, it makes corrections in the digital signal itself... Lyngdorf says that the speakers should be placed as close to the back wall to allow less reflections from the back wall and timing but I have realised that placing the speakers in the ideal position makes more difference in the sound.. Of course, putting against the back wall frees up the room and makes the missus happy and it also cleans up the sound considerably but I am still experimenting with different speaker positions and will also try and move some furniture to check where it sounds the best...

The Lyngdorf is a little light sounding than say a Luxman and you may think the sound is not loud or fuller but the transparency and detailing make up for the loss of loudness/fullness.. Of course, if you have proper room treatment in a dedicated room, there are enough amplifiers and DACs out there which will sound better but in my case and for people like me who don't have the luxury of a separate room and room treatment, it is a boon.... I am now seriously thinking of upgrading to the new and more powerful 3400...

I did remove the glass table earlier with the Luxman and it did improve the sound but could not muster enough courage to voice my opinion as I already knew the answer. A living room without a centre table does look odd
Lovely room there!
You don't need to do away with the centre table completely, merely replace it with a wooden one without a glass top.
No need to worry about the beers and single malts ;)

I wish I could sir but aesthetics matter and that is the Lyngdorf's job now to make up for the shortcomings of the room... But I will take your suggestion and try and put a kind of thick cloth on the glass table and see if it helps the Lyngdorf do it's job better.. The cloth can be removed as and when guests come over...

Not really but I feel it might sound a little fuller although the Lyngdorf guys say the internal architecture is the same with wattage the only difference.... Let's check out the 2170 for 6 months and then take a call..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back