Lyrita's Mono Power amps and Line Preamp

viren bakhshi

Lyrita Audio introduces the new GM70 SET Mono power amplifiers, and the DHT Line preamplifier:

GM70 SET Mono Amp - single ended power amplifier with a power output of 35 watts, using the Russian GM70 directly heated triode. Two stage design, with a triode connected 6E5P driver tube, coupled through an interstage transformer to the GM70 output tube. Separate transformers for high voltage, for filament current, for bias voltage.

DHT Line Preamplifier - line level preamplifier using the Russian directly heated 4P1L tube, connected as triode. Very simple signal path, capacitor coupled output. No feedback. 6 dB gain. Output impedance 1250 ohms.

The mono amps were developed, again on request from a customer, for more power from a single ended tube design. The Russian GM70 transmission tube, similar in rating to the 845 transmission tube, turned out to be a great contender. Easily available, very sturdy construction, inexpensive. Using the stereo chassis for the mono amp, freed up enough space to use even more transformers, one for each function; and for the development and use of huge film capacitors for the high voltage power supply.

The Mono amps cried out for a superior quality preamplifier. What better than a DHT for line level duties. Low gain, and low output impedance. The Russian 4P1L, a relatively unknown directly heated power pentode, connected in triode mode, served the bill perfectly. The tonal colour and saturation from this tube is just amazing. It takes the overall sound performance of an audio system to new levels.

Lyrita Audio is having a listening session, featuring these products, on:

Sunday, December 18, from 11:00 to 14:00 hours. All are welcome.

Some pictures are attached, one of the interior of the amp. The wiring uses full advantage of the 3-dimensionality of space.

Attachments

• DHT preamp and mono amps.jpg
    DHT preamp and mono amps.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,074
Last edited:
Viren

More 'power' to you and your wonderful amps and speakers. And to the equally wonderful coffee and hospitality that you serve :)

Virenji,

I will be elhi - GGN on 5-7 Jan 12. can I come down for a short session

Regards,
venu

The Lyrita GM70 SET Mono power amplifiers are priced at Rs.84,000 per pair.
The Lyrita DHT Line preamplifier is priced at Rs.22,000.

Viren

Considering the difficulty and other issues involved in bringing one from overseas, without any warranty or after sales support (as an owner of a few tube amps I know what I am talking about!) these prices are attractive.

Congrats Viren for bringing out another great product to market. I am sure this would sound even better than the GM70 integrateds. Are there future plans for similar monoblocks using 845s? Also, did you choose the GM70 tubes mainly because of the economics?

Eagerly awaiting the listening impression from Delhi folks.
Joshua

The Lyrita GM70 SET Mono power amplifiers are priced at Rs.84,000 per pair.
The Lyrita DHT Line preamplifier is priced at Rs.22,000.

Viren

The Lyrita DHT at this price is awesome deal.
Congrats Virenji for bringing this Amp to India Audiophile Community. I had a brief listen to this pre-amp while it was in construction and it sounded good. Tube Warmth experience for the masses.

--Vinay

Hi,

For a high powered SET amp, the Russian GM70 tubes have worked out very well. I went for the GM70 tubes because of quality problems, and uncertain delivery, of the Shuguang 845 tubes. The GM70's have a very robust build, have a higher heat dissipation rating than the 845's, are readily available, and are much cheaper (a bonus). All towards a more affordable (some would question that affordability, as it is high priced) amp!

The DHT preamp I am even more proud of. The Russian 4P1L tubes have been a find! I would not call its sound as tubey warm, since that seems to have negative connotations. Rather, it projects the rich texture, and sonority, of real instruments much better. That includes low level detail, and realistic dynamics. Tone - that's what its about!

Lets see what opinions arise this Sunday.

Viren

Also, if anyone is inclined to test the waters, a combo of a tube pre and ss power amp is also something to consider.I currently use a Grounded Grid pre( from Transcendent Sound) coupled to a AKSA 55N ss power amp and I love the sound.

Got my 'first' taste of 100% tubes today at Virenji's .... Many thanks to provide this opportunity.
A new experience .... a new learning avenue .... :yahoo:
Last Sunday it was Mumbai Hi-Fi meet, today, it was at Virenji's ... :D. My heart cries out for my wifey! Honest ... :indifferent14:

Hi,

Photos,impressions on the amps please.

Awaiting my DHT preamp.:licklips:

Regards
Rajiv

The essence of a music system is to get you involved in the music. In that respect, DHT's (directly heated triodes/tubes) reproduce nuances in music much better, bringing more realism to music. (Technically, DHT's have the lowest distortion amongst amplifying devices). That's why power output tubes such as the 45, 2A3, 300B, 845, and the GM70 are so highly regarded. So, it made sense to try a DHT in a line gain stage (preamp) too. Of course, the implementation of circuits using these tubes is of utmost importance too.

The Lyrita DHT line preamp brings an enhanced sense of realism to music. Music comes more to life. Please come listen for yourself.

Regards,
Viren

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back