Mac Optimisation for audio

Fiftyfifty

Staff member
There's so much on the forum on Windows optimisation for audio but so little on Mac/Osx. So I thought I would start this thread to get inputs.

My setup is a Mac mini running Audirvana Plus (paid version) in exclusive access mode. Except for OSX, there is no other software running on the Mac mini, which runs in headless mode. I even disable wifi when music is playing, allowing the Mac to remain cool and obviate use of its internal fan. The Mac has a C7 power input, and I plan to get an IEC to C7 adapter, so that I can use a good insulated audio grade power cord. There are some mod tools to power the Mac mini with an external DC supply, but they involve removal of the logic board, etc., from a completely sealed box and I don't wish to mess with this.
Though the sys optimisation built into Audirvana merely cuts off system sounds and notifications, the extensive controls and filters do a lot more. The Mac mini provides both Optical and USB out options. Optical samples up to 96khz while USB goes up to 384khz and DSD, which my DAC accepts. I prefer the USB option. Recently, FM @rikhav was kind enough to let me try his Uptone USB Reclocker, and the results were good, though my DAC is a very capable one by itself.

Would be great to hear of optimisation/mods done by other Mac users and the resultant improvements.

Cheers!

i found a very big benefit by modding my USB cable to make it a Y so that the power and data were on different cables and hence separated. these days moved out of the Mac to a Auralic Aries + NAS and far more happier.

One of the well regarded Mac mini hardware tweaks is the Uptone Audio MMK kit
Link: Mac mini DC-Conversion / Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK)

This is a conversion of the SMPS supply to a DC input which can then be fed with an Linear Power Supply (LPS). This means that you also need to consider purchasing a quality LPS to feed 12V DC power. The Linear Fan controller tweak, which comes along with the kit, changes the power supply to the Mac mini fan which by default comes with a PWM power (basically DC pulses). This is said to affect audio as the pulses are in the 25kHz range. Together these two tweaks are highly regarded for Mac mini.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Nikhil. I have had my eye on this for a while. Unable to decide whether to trick the Mac with such mods - the Uptone DC conversion kit +LPS/ USB Regen/ dual filter power cable, etc. or just move away from a consumer grade computer, which the Mac is, to something like the Auralic Aries like @arj has done.

I have a MacBook Pro retina 15" 2015 edition. Right now I am using Foobar2000 app to play songs via USB to DAC to an amp. So any other inputs on applications and settings to get the maximum out of it? Thanks in advance.

I have a MacBook Pro retina 15" 2015 edition. Right now I am using Foobar2000 app to play songs via USB to DAC to an amp. So any other inputs on applications and settings to get the maximum out of it? Thanks in advance.

I have tried the Uptone USB Reclocker and it did improve the sound. Foobar2000 is good but I suggest you get the Audirvana free trial to compare. Use a good USB cable.

Thanks Nikhil. I have had my eye on this for a while. Unable to decide whether to trick the Mac with such mods - the Uptone DC conversion kit +LPS/ USB Regen/ dual filter power cable, etc. or just move away from a consumer grade computer, which the Mac is, to something like the Auralic Aries like @arj has done.

i tried Audirvana on my Macbook Pro( with i7/16GB Ram) with a Yellowtec PUC SPDIF/USB converter which is pretty high end but still prefer the Auralic with LPS. it is far more wholesome sounding without losing any details. I used it with an Audiocadabra USB cable and a Audioquest jitterbug as well !!!

Looks like you have two votes in favor of the Auralic. But it's a whole different setup when you go that route.
Another software that you could look up is Roon which does make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

Looks like you have two votes in favor of the Auralic. But it's a whole different setup when you go that route.
Another software that you could look up is Roon which does make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

Yes, I'll do the Roon free trial one of these days. If I do, it will be for SQ alone.... I don't need the multi-device flexibility that Roon offers. Is the SQ dependent on the Core being on a different computer or will it make a difference even if loaded on the same machine that is the output? I have a good mesh wifi network and do not fancy running an ethernet cable all over the house.
Thanks

For me Roon and Vox running on Macbook pro 13" Retina display 2015 model, were indistinguishable and Audirvana did not sound as good. I did use the O-DAC but found no difference in sound. My setup is very simple and transparent with minimal components. No preamp, no DAC. Just a tube amp between the Mac and the 100dB OB full range drivers. DAC or no DAC, made no difference. Vox works best for me though haven't tried anything else except Roon and Audirvana. I would experiment with an upcoming / being modded DIY dual TDA1540 DAC and install in between the chain.

Yes, Vox is indeed good. And Vox radio is an added benefit. I prefer Audirvana though.

Yes, I'll do the Roon free trial one of these days. If I do, it will be for SQ alone.... I don't need the multi-device flexibility that Roon offers. Is the SQ dependent on the Core being on a different computer or will it make a difference even if loaded on the same machine that is the output? I have a good mesh wifi network and do not fancy running an ethernet cable all over the house.
Thanks

You should be fine with Roon running on a single machine. The multiple machine setup can be explored later.
It has a logic to it that is quite reasonable but just running on a single machine itself should give you a good idea.

Running a mesh network is great - Roon really doesn't care where things are. It will connect whatever you want.

Regards.

You should be fine with Roon running on a single machine. The multiple machine setup can be explored later.
It has a logic to it that is quite reasonable but just running on a single machine itself should give you a good idea.

Running a mesh network is great - Roon really doesn't care where things are. It will connect whatever you want.

Regards.

Will surely try and compare with Audirvana as a player!

I have tried the Uptone USB Reclocker and it did improve the sound. Foobar2000 is good but I suggest you get the Audirvana free trial to compare. Use a good USB cable.

I have already used the Audirvana free trial version but now it is asking around 5K + for licence. Too much for an app.

I have already used the Audirvana free trial version but now it is asking around 5K + for licence. Too much for an app.

All are in same region
roon, hqplayer , jriver

Infact roon is best if you think long term
400 USD for lifetime

I feel it's worth considering what all improvennts these software get along with the ease of use

That combination is not easy to get with free players

All are in same region
roon, hqplayer , jriver

400 USD for lifetime

I feel it's worth considering what all improvennts these software get along with the ease of use

That combination is not easy to get with free players
Thanks. Let me think about it and then make a decision :)

400 USD for lifetime

I was not convinced on the price for the Roon lifetime licence. I may change my mind but for now I have gone with the annual subscription as I just don't see any software company staying on top for more than 3-4 years. There will always be some new player / software that can come up and challenge the Roon model.

But that's just my opinion ...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back