Made a purchase finally! Marantz + Wharfedale

kush

I was searching for a decent entry level amplifier and bookshelf speaker combo. Did not want to spend more than 30-35K, I am not an audiophile, have never been exposed to good speakers/amplifiers. I do have a Grado headphone, and love it..Most of my music is in FLAC on a 5 yr Cowon X5 30 GB (they dont make them anymore)

I wanted a combination that would sound good with FLAC playing out of the Cowon X5, as I did not have the budget to get a entry level CDP.

I checked out the foll. combos:

Denon PMA 510 AE with Wharfedale 10.1
NAD 315BEE with Tannoy F1 Custom,Wharfedale 9.2,10.1 and 10.2
Denon PMA 500 AE with the Wharfedale 9.2,10.1 and 10.2
Marantz 5003 with Q Acoustics 2010 (the shop did not have any other bookshelf at the time)
Marantz PM 6002 with Wharfedale 9.2,10.1 and 10.2
Atoll (dont remember the model no) with Wharfedale 9.2,10.1 and 10.2

I tried a variety of music I would listen to. I heard Eric Clapton Unplugged, George Michael, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Grammy 2010 Nominees, Coldplay, U2. Then for Bollywood, I heard Kisna, some A R Rahman, and finally played Hanuman Chalisa (was the only devotional track I had)

Overall, I really liked the Marantz 6002 and Wharfedale 10.2. The FLAC songs played wonderfully well.

All in all, it cost me 33K, including the cables and interconnects. The delivery is scheduled tommorow night, and I cant wait to hear how they actually sound at home!

Best of all, its a gift from my wife!

33k?...awesome pricing and great combo.....i bought an marantz pm5003 and replaced my wharf 9.5 to 10.1 and they sound really good to me!.

TaureanBull: the speakers are 17K, amp is 15K, rest 1 K for the cables/interconnects. I had to also buy a 3.5mm to RCA, which was also included in the price. All cables/interconnects were Bandbridge. Incase anyone is interested, I've purchased from Alliance 4 in Mumbai.

Will post pics and reviews once I get them! I think 26 Jan is a very welcome holiday, as I'l try and spend all day listening!

Thanks to all for the wishes!

Thanks for the update and pricing. I was looking for a place to pick up such a combo myself. I think I will head towards Alliance 4 pretty soon
Meanwhile is the 6002 the lowest end Marantz available or is there something in the 5000 series as well ? If so, what made you tilt towards the 6002 vs. the 5000 (apart from higher power output)

I was not able to hear the 5000 series of Marantz, as none of the places I went were to able to demo these alongwith any decent speakers. The one place I did get to check out a 5003 was with Q Acoustics speakers.

I was not happy with the combo, and that may be down to the speakers also....

Now its been a few days since I've had this combo, and while I intend to give a substantial review separately, I think the combo is on the brighter side, but in a way I like. I now understand it that when people say Marantz is more "musical"

After having this combo, I am on a CD buying spree, whereas I hadnt bought one for months before....

Have you also hooked this up to a TV/watched movies ? I am planning on buying an Amp in similar budget primarily for Audio, but would like to connect it to the DVD player/TV occasionally. Just wanted to check whether you will be happy with this combo, purchase a separate system (expensive), or do not care as much.

Thanks !

same here alliance 4 has these amazing mission towers donno the model no though...quoted me 38k for the pair!!!!

I am 99% sure ...just hav to get my amp b4 that though

I was not able to hear the 5000 series of Marantz, as none of the places I went were to able to demo these alongwith any decent speakers. The one place I did get to check out a 5003 was with Q Acoustics speakers.

I was not happy with the combo, and that may be down to the speakers also....

Now its been a few days since I've had this combo, and while I intend to give a substantial review separately, I think the combo is on the brighter side, but in a way I like. I now understand it that when people say Marantz is more "musical"

After having this combo, I am on a CD buying spree, whereas I hadnt bought one for months before....

Hi kush,

The brightness may be due to the interconnects, try with Chord Crimson plus it may tame the brightness a bit.

N.Murali

Probably Marantz is meant for warm set of speakers. Most well built speakers sound warmer and marantz do justice with them.

I think the combo is on the brighter side, but in a way I like. I now understand it that when people say Marantz is more "musical"

? bright is musical?

the marantz normally sounds fine with older warfedales (the older ones 9.1 and 9.2-sounds best with the 9.1 )
the 10 series was always on the brighter side when i heard them both times
(once with marantz and once with a yamaha)

Ofcourse even i own an10.1 and they are a bit bright compared to my older 9.5's.the mids are way too good on the newer wharf's compared to the old ones

@abhinav: I havent hooked them to a TV nor watched movies on it. The setup is on a bookshelf at the moment, and far away from the TV.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back