Made in India AMP - NAD 375

magnolia

Dear Friends,

I am looking for Indian made products, there is demand for NAD products here in India and HFV forum, Is there any Indian version of NAD 375 Amplifier or NAD product....? , I am aware of Norge products.

Just for kicks can we make equivalent of NAD 375 in India and name it as INR 375 and sell it at Hifimart :p - - - - - I will be the first customer.;)

PS:: I am a newbie who listens to TV music.

cheers,
sameer

.......Just for kicks can we make equivalent of NAD 375 in India and name it as INR 375 and sell it at Hifimart............

Are you suggesting that someone makes a clone of the NAD 375 and starts selling them here ? If so they will eventually end up heavily fined and possibly in jail ! If you modify the design, then it isn't a 375 anymore !

Why do all that ? Guys can easily make an amp equal too or better than the 375. Whether it will be finished well , marketable and sell for a comparative price is a different matter.

But of course ,you can make an exact clone of the 375 for your own 'personal use' ! You just can't sell it commercially .

Why stop with NAD only then? Why not Marantz or Cambridge Audio or Rega or Arcam and the lot?
A strange idea to clone a NAD....

There are so many musical Fidelity X10 and Marantz 7 clones out there, I wonder why the Chinese haven't started Making NAD 3020 clones. I'd certainly buy one.

PS: an NAD had a clone for a very long time, called Proton. Kinda complicated story though

Are you suggesting that someone makes a clone of the NAD 375 and starts selling them here ? - - - NO, basically what I mean is lets have a DIY Team who can easily make an amp equal to or better than NAD, Marantz........................... I suggested NAD 375 for reference like warm Amp with 150x2 Watt.

Whether it will be finished well , marketable and sell for a comparative price is a different matter----------- we all can chip in to support the DIY team,

Why stop with NAD only then? Why not Marantz or Cambridge Audio or Rega or Arcam and the lot?

Yes, made in India product which sounds like Marantz or Cambridge Audio or Rega or Arcam........ which can be sold commercially in India.:licklips:

There are so many musical Fidelity X10 and Marantz 7 clones out there, I wonder why the Chinese haven't started Making NAD 3020 clones. I'd certainly buy one.

Yes me too............ Its time Indians start making good quality products like NAD, Marantz..........why depend on chinese when Indians have the ability and skills........... If all FM chip in and support our desi DIY team, we can have entire ecosystem like Indian hifivision magazine with reviews from expert FM ;), buyers, seller, after sales and support.

Yes me too............ Its time Indians start making good quality products like NAD, Marantz..........why depend on chinese when Indians have the ability and skills........... If all FM chip in and support our desi DIY team, we can have entire ecosystem like Indian hifivision magazine with reviews from expert FM ;), buyers, seller, after sales and support.

What you are smoking man?
Are you daydreaming ?

and what budget you are talking?

Chinese manufacturing is extremely advanced maybe 15-20 years ahead of us. In many cases the chinese delivered price in India < Indian labour cost

This I am talking out of experience as I was DVD product head in Onida for couple of years. Onida DVD is delivered from China in fully salable form , ie Manufactured , Tested , with Onida Logo on software , Manuals , BOX Packed and again 3 -5 DVDs were packed in another bigger carton.
There used to be regular meetings and regular price corrections . Many models were designed in China. Onida designed ( Only Exterior) a fancy DVD - Candy - at that time I understood costs and issues involved with Design , Testing and Manufacturing - that too outer Body , electronics would be another hassle.

Here on HFV half of the group buys meet with failure , and many times the group buy co-ordinator accused of profit making , taking commission , vested interests and sometimes held responsible for delays do you think people across India will come together your Group - Design , Manufacture - Distribute proposal?

By the way India has products far far better than Marantz and Nad . Have you heard brands like Cadence , Rethm , Audire , Lyrita. Now it is open secret that these world class products get so less takers in India that these are cross subsidised by founders another business Interest ( Barring Lyrita - But Mr Bakshi started this after he became well settled engineer)

So buddy can you give your plan in much elobrate way?

let us not discourage the idea.
It is in line with PM Modi's "Make in India" slogan

If China can make, why not we?

Talk is cheap

Give us a plan

and from a person who has seen ground reality.

and that plan with forum members -

If all FM chip in and support our desi DIY team, we can have entire ecosystem like Indian hifivision magazine with reviews from expert FM , buyers, seller, after sales and support.

--

I will laugh your heart out

I am repeating again

1) Very few sucessful group buys
2) If the group buy is delayed - accuse the initiator
3) In the beginig accuse the initiator of commission taking , to cat a doubt in other persons mind , or ask unrelated question so that thread is screwed
4) Few knowledgeable members just come here to get information from other people without sharing any information . Some of them even hide all possible info when contacted . so much so while posting images the few people tore / hide brand / model no stickers..
5) All "dealers are chor attitude " without knowing actual working of dealers . If dealers are making so much money , they do not have any need of subsidising their business with other business

6) Offering armchair consulting to everyone without knowing ground reality . Remember the "cadence" thread and Mr Shirke's reply why he is concentrating UK market?

7) Anyone played with mass market sourcing esp at components level and know price difference between 10 pieces and 10000 pieces?

So really it is becoming interesting - Show me a least half good plan

This thing about " If China can make it why not us " is a misplaced notion.
Chinese workers have been basically a VERY hard working lot and dedication to detail is VERY high. Even the Japanese acknowledge that. They work very well as a team. Indians often don't and attention to detail is often not as good ! I guess we will get there but not just yet.

To get the forum to 'chip in with FM's' is absolutely unworkable. It does appear that the person who suggested this and others who supported this have no idea what design/manufacturing/marketing/sales/support involves. It will not be about making 50 amps , it would be making thousands of them "reliably" . If you say that each ( large) amp ( at a minimum) "costs" 20 K to build then you already have a requirement of 2 crores in basic investment. Add advertisement, labour costs, shipping, margins for dealers etc. and you will end up being MUCH more expensive than what you can buy ........and probably not as good !

You might not have realised that barring very expensive equipment, DIY equipment compared to equivalent equipment in the market is VERY much more expensive ! It's just that the hidden costs are not visible and the DIY'er absorbs it ( doesn't see it !)! But if you are doing it for fun and not for commercial use then DIY is fine. Don't even think of a 'large scale FM JV !"
I'd call it suicide ! ;)

Last edited:
This idea is not "Indian or Desi" in essence.
A truly Indian idea would be supportive of local artists and be more considerate towards the audience.
And would value live performance more.

To prove the quality 'issues' of some well known & high volume AV electronics - we have seen recent examples of complaints wrt certain manufacturer on the forum itself. That the firefighting done by vested interest is going to be a failure since his intentions are correct but info supplied to him is wrong to begin with!:rolleyes:

Not many know that these very well regarded electronics are infact assembled in India from components brought in CKD kits to bypass higher duty applied to fully built units.

I have seen brand new unit unpacked in front of me, with loose screws lying inside as gift from local assemblers :eek:
Sticker on box said 'Made In Japan' :eek:hyeah:

So much for our quality assembling. Bitter complaints wrt ASS (what can the poor after sales guy sitting in Mumbai do if he receives unit with poor assembly causing the problems!)

" Make one for me"

Hey a lot of guys here are DIY types. Why don't you venture out and make one yourself. Start with a decent chip power amp. You might surprise yourself !:)

Regarding Indian assembled Japanese sets. I remember seeing VCR's being bought by Weston from Hitachi . They took it to Singapore I think and disassembled it there. Imported as SKD kits and assembled it in India. BUT , Hitachi made it very clear that if they removed even one screw they would not be permitted to sell it as a Hitachi labeled product . They were sold as Weston products. I don't remember if the made in Japan label on the box was removed or not. I guess Hitachi didn't care as long as it wasn't sold as a Hitachi assembled product.

But you can be sure that any Jap company that has a registered manufacturing set up here would ensure that all products are reassembled properly. I would never doubt that. I've been to too many of their companies and so I have no doubt. If this has really happened the buyer should make a BIG noise about it in the media and claim that the Jap reputation is being ruined by absorbing the Indian 'chalta hai ' attitude ! I bet heads would roll ! :D
I'm involved with Hitachi even now and from all that I have been seeing over the last few years there is no let up on their part regarding quality !

So if you see any shoddy product from a Jap ( or other giant ) company in India please SCREAM at them. You should get a fitting reply . Don't sit quiet and complain to friends ! Email the top Japanese officials at their corporate office in Japan. They do read all the emails ! They will be VERY concerned! ;)
They are VERY proud of the quality of their products !

So an idea was thrown out here. And some didn't like the idea or thought it was ridiculous. That's OK but, was it really necessary to be so harsh in some responses? So condescending? So mocking?

Heard about/Seen the famous cartoon where a dog has his paws on the keyboard and tells another dog: "On the Internet nobody knows that you are a dog"? A variant of that applies here - there is no need to be a dog on the Internet even though you may really be one.

Last edited:
I pledge to buy one quantity of the Indian DIY version of NAD 375 amp. Please sign me up.

I may or may not have any use of it, but that's besides the point. The point is - I want to support Indian manufacturing, if it's able to overcome the hurdles on the way.

That said - here is a reality check.

(1) Indian buyers want cheap (oops, make that VERY cheap) but want the label to be a 'foren' one.

(2) In a 'chalta hai' country, doing anything better (actually trying to do anything better) attracts discouragement from all quarters, including bosses. [I have had numerous 'encounters' with my bosses because I strived for quality but their only quest was productivity].

(3) If you are in the business of 'good stuff', bureaucrats are not necessarily going to encourage you. More likely they are going to target you for being different.

(4) Indian manufacturers have resigned to the idea that good stuff can sell. They would rather sell 100 units of average stuff than 2-3 units of good stuff.

(5) Everyone will nudge you and ask you to take initiative but when you go ahead sacrifice your time, resources and efforts to take one, you will find no one around.

All the above is based on my general perception as a resident Indian. I have even tried to work with people who are already in the hobby/hifi business/industry to bring inexpensive but good Chinese stuff to India. When you talk to people, in principal everything will sound perfect. But the moment you head towards actual implementation/execution all your plans will fall flat.

As Indians we can dream. But it takes a lot of hard-work-with-honesty and dedication to succeed the way Japanese/Taiwanese/Chinese have. Visit the countries you are trying to match and see the public life there. Come back and look at us. You will know where the difference lies.

I pledge to buy one quantity of the Indian DIY version of NAD 375 amp. Please sign me up.

I may or may not have any use of it, but that's besides the point. The point is - I want to support Indian manufacturing, if it's able to overcome the hurdles on the way.

That said - here is a reality check.

(1) Indian buyers want cheap (oops, make that VERY cheap) but want the label to be a 'foren' one.

(2) In a 'chalta hai' country, doing anything better (actually trying to do anything better) attracts discouragement from all quarters, including bosses. [I have had numerous 'encounters' with my bosses because I strived for quality but their only quest was productivity].

(3) If you are in the business of 'good stuff', bureaucrats are not necessarily going to encourage you. More likely they are going to target you for being different.

(4) Indian manufacturers have resigned to the idea that good stuff can sell. They would rather sell 100 units of average stuff than 2-3 units of good stuff.

(5) Everyone will nudge you and ask you to take initiative but when you go ahead sacrifice your time, resources and efforts to take one, you will find no one around.

All the above is based on my general perception as a resident Indian. I have even tried to work with people who are already in the hobby/hifi business/industry to bring inexpensive but good Chinese stuff to India. When you talk to people, in principal everything will sound perfect. But the moment you head towards actual implementation/execution all your plans will fall flat.

As Indians we can dream. But it takes a lot of hard-work-with-honesty and dedication to succeed the way Japanese/Taiwanese/Chinese have. Visit the countries you are trying to match and see the public life there. Come back and look at us. You will know where the difference lies.

Nice Ranjeet

This is from horse's mouth ... Ranjeet has business in China with Chinese employess ... so he knows best,

I never ridiculed the idea but I told the pitfalls and the biggest pitfall was doing through HFV members in their "part time"

And you understand reality while planning - the OP do not even know "copying" is crime ! Such a thing was pardonable in the past , nowdays these MNC will cripple you!

A serious business cannot built in this way ..no it will not go beyond paper!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back