Maha wharfdale 9.1, 10.1, 10.4,jade 7 + quad 9l2, 11l2 & 12l2 speaker demo/shoot out!

denom

Banned
Banned
WARNING! Long post about to be unleashed :D Trying to add as much as I can & with as much accuracy as I can remember ;)

Couple of confessions to make before I start off:
1) I do not look at Book Shelves in a positive ray of light, have always been a Floor Standers Fanboy :D
2) I have not heard any Wharfedale Speakers till date! Yes some may find that shocking but its True! Something kept me away from them (like spideys 'spidersense' :lol:)

Its been a long time since I demoed some speakers & armed with an excuse to do some serious demo's on behalf of a friend (who was pestering me for a long time) finally managed to take the opportunity of doing just that!
The friend in question was very specific, he wanted me to hear the Wharfedales (9.1, 10.1, 10.2, 10.4, 10.6) & Quads (11L2 & 12L2) on his behalf (Yes I know folks will jump & say he should do so himself & such) but he wanted to me to give my views on them so that he could compare notes as he has already listened to most of them.
Happy to oblige him as I got a valid reason for doing so :eek:hyeah:

Couple of things had to be figured out,

1) Where can I get the opportunity to do so with respect to the place having atleast 70% of the models in question?

2) I would need sufficient time to do justice to all of them, hence time factor had to kept in mind, as it is I like to take my time during the demo's (much to the horror of the sales rep!):p

3) Shall I split the session or do it in 1 shot?

4) Would have to take a wider assortment of Test Material

The Answers to which were

1) Shitij, of Designer Audio made it happen (almost as except for 10.2 & 10.6) the rest were made available for the demo.

2) I had kept the latter part of the afternoon till evening just for this purpose.

3) Did not need to as got 95% of the models on demo + 2 additional models & some thing else(Scansonic Speakers) too as an extra BONUS!:licklips:

4) Had to keep friends listening taste in mind hence took some music which I listen to once in a while. Please see & hear the tracks listed below as these are the ones I used for auditioning. The fact that my friend might not hear this type of music is another matter but hey atleast I tried something different other than Hard Rock/Metal ;)

Testing Material comprised of the foll: AUDIO CD's ONLY!

‪Woman - Wolfmother‬‏ - YouTube

‪Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby‬‏ - YouTube

‪Hinder - Lips Of An Angel‬‏ - YouTube

‪The Killers - When You Were Young‬‏ - YouTube

‪Maroon 5 - Makes Me Wonder‬‏ - YouTube

‪Keane - A Bad Dream‬‏ - YouTube

‪Fall Out Boy - This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race‬‏ - YouTube

‪The Feeling - Sewn‬‏ - YouTube

‪The All-American Rejects - It Ends Tonight‬‏ - YouTube

‪Dashboard Confessional - Stolen‬‏ - YouTube

‪She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart‬‏ - YouTube

And 1 Track for me ;)

‪Judas Priest - Judas Rising‬‏ - YouTube

I carried more material but recycled the above just to get an accurate enough idea during the A/B comparisons between 2 specific speakers.

Now about the remaining part of the gear that was used with the above mentioned speakers:

AMP - Marantz SR5005 (2 ch mode obviously & a compromise but there was no mid level amp available for the demo, the others available at hand were the high priced Quads (full range might I add - which in itself was a nice surprise as one never or very rarely gets to see multiples of high end gear of 1 particular brand in one shop!)

Source - Sony BDP (Yes yes I know but same as case with the amp, had only a Quad CDP at hand that too an ancient one circa '95 :D)

Cables - Quad IC's & DAC 14 AWG Speaker cables (not bi wired)

Another point to raise here was the Demo room being geared for all out HT set-ups(plenty of them). Who cares for 2channel guys these days? They are like a dying breed anyway & depleting community in comparison to the HT guys.

So yes a compromise of sorts but still, my take is that if a particular speaker is good enough, it will shine through in almost any kind of set-up, be it 2 or multiple channel.

So trade off in some aspects but more + points as I could get a very generous demo of so many speakers & that too in an unhurried manner & WITH THE REMOTES IN MY HAND!!! :licklips::eek:hyeah:

All bookshelves demoed were placed on wharfedale stands.

The demo started with a pair of Quad 12L2's Vs Wharfedales 9.1's

Please note that this is like comparing apples to oranges. The Quad 12L2 sells for Rs. 45,000.00 and the Wharfedale 9.1 sells for Rs. 13,000.00

A) QUAD 12L2's:

I was warned by shitij for not expecting too much from them, ok - so kept that in back of my mind.

The speakers were at best average, a mix of all frequencies with the spotlight not shining on any particular one. If you have them running as background fillers, you won't much care but if you use them as your main speakers, you WILL be dissatisfied. I was actually expecting more from them but they did not deliver at all. By no means are they bad but they just do not give you any satisfaction.

B) Wharfedale 9.1's:

Oh yes the speakers which people are wanting so very badly. Wondering what the fuss was all about. FELL FLAT! man what was happening? Everything was muddled/muddy! I could not figure out what was going on at all. The complete jumble of all frequencies had me stumped & very upset. I listened to them for a period of 2 tracks but I just could not enjoy it anymore & asked for them to be removed ASAP.

What a bad start! As it is I was let down by the Quads & then the 9.1's made things worse.

Shitij told me that the 9.1's were brand new, had not had any 'burn-in' & so please do not assume anything about them in this scenario. Fair enough I say, but I am sorry they did not do anything for me & feel they won't even when they are burned in. My gut feel!

Heard the 10.1's in their place, felt they were better than the 9.1's with more separation, less muddle & better sound stage but still did not much care for them.

Feeling very disappointed, I saw a small pair of Book Shelves lying behind the 12L2's & asked Shitij about them who told me they were the Quad 9L2's. So I requested him to do a A/B with them & the Quad 11L2's next.

A) QUAD 11L2's:

Again these were fresh out of the box, in fact they arrived when I was listening to the above mentioned speakers. Straight away I found the difference between them & the others heard earlier. Chalk & Cheese, night & day! That much of a difference. The 11L2's are such a sweet sounding pair of speakers that one may listen to them for hours & not get tired at all. Track after track they just kept me enjoying the way they conveyed the details of each song, be it the tiny background sounds, clearer instruments sound & placements, the voice of the singer, all nicely spaced & given their due with a clear & crisp sound stage which was nicely conveyed with a slight toe-in.
I have heard the tracks above off & on but I realised that there were quite a few details of them which I had not heard earlier, which were brought out by the 11L2's. Pleasantly surprised to discover this. The thing that really made me like the 11L2's were the clarity & sweetness they delivered. To describe in One Word, 'VELVET'!

B) QUAD 9L2's:

Do not be deceived by their diminutive size, these are surprisingly good at delivering nearly 80% of what the 11L2's deliver & yet again they were a pleasant surprise for me.
I felt they would be ideal for someone having a small room or if one wanted a small set-up for one's bedroom.

Now the only speakers left to hear were the Wharfedale 10.4's, which were promptly placed alongside the 11L2's - also no other FS in similar price bracket so decided to compare them with the 11L2's

A) Wharfedale Diamond 10.4's:

These were well 'burned-in' I was told, so at least they would be at their optimal in delivery or so I thought!
Again I played a mix of the above tracks just to refresh my mind on the difference that one would/should find when one would compare a BS speaker to a similarly priced FS. Straight away the difference was apparent & the words of so many came to mind instantly which were BS costing slightly more or at par with FS in similar price range are always better. This is an ideal example of this advise & is completely true in this situation, no doubt about that! It was as if the music suddenly got muted/dulled than when it was heard through the 11L2's. This comparison was all the more startling for me as I never really bought the above mentioned advise but here it was being proved in front of me, LIVE!

In spite of having separate Bass & Mid Drivers in the 10.4's the sound was not at all as sweet, appealing & enjoyable as from that coming out of the 11L2's

So yet again another Wharfedale model for me fell flat on its face.

To put it mildly, I was disappointed with the Wharfedale sound. If the Quad's were freshly baked bread, the Wharfedales were Dried, Crusty & stale old bread :rolleyes:

So another speaker demo session came to an end, yet again I learned so much about this hobby of mine, of the people involved in this industry(read distributors/dealers) their mid set & so on.

Final Parting Words & observations:-

Please note that this is like comparing apples to oranges. The Quad 11L2 sells for Rs. 32,000.00 and the Wharfedale 9.1 sells for Rs. 13,000.00

I now like Book Shelves! Well, Quads at least ;) In spite the fact that they cannot handle my genre of music:sad:

Wharfedales may be popular & VFM but I would rather save more money & buy a better pair of speakers (there are so many better ones available - one needs to hear as many as possible to decide which one suites them)

If for arguments sake I as a newbie bought wharfedales, I would most certainly start hating them pretty soon & itch to buy another pair of speakers in a very short period of time, no doubt about that, resulting in going thorough the painful process of selling @ a loss & buying more expensive speakers with even lesser funds to start with!

We need more people like Shitij :clapping: of Designer Audio, he just is a prime example of how one should deal with any client who is interested in experiencing a demo to his/her liking. Hope he continues to remain the same & treat like minded folks to sample gear the way they want.

PS: Heard some sad news from Shitij, speaker prices are to be revised from next month onwards with a hike of 20-30% projected.:mad: as per notification he received from IAG. So folks, buy your speakers before the price hike:sad:

Will write about the Jade 7's & Scansonics later pls!

Re: Maha wharfdale 9.1, 10.1, 10.4,jade 7 + quad 9l2, 11l2 & 12l2 speaker demo/shoot

Looks like you had a good time. Your genre of music... I do know about it :)

Hope you liked the Paradigm 7s you heard at my place.

Last edited:
Re: Maha wharfdale 9.1, 10.1, 10.4,jade 7 + quad 9l2, 11l2 & 12l2 speaker demo/shoot

Appropriately timed at the time of Wharfedale war.. Nice review denom. It is always better to hear all the speakers at one time and at one place, so we will have an immediate conclusion and sorting out easier. So you never changed the amp's thru out.. right?

Appropriately timed at the time of Wharfedale war.. Nice review denom. It is always better to hear all the speakers at one time and at one place, so we will have an immediate conclusion and sorting out easier. So you never changed the amp's thru out.. right?

Sandeepmohan is goiing to be one happy guy.:lol:

Some pics to give abetter idea of the speakers I liked :)

The Quad 11L2 Drivers

mh9477.jpg

Side Profile Of the 11L2

22n4fk.jpg

Quad 9L2

s6qip5.jpg

9L2 Side Profile

5v21dx.jpg

9lL2 Drivers

nnvcid.jpg

The Piano Gloss Finish of the Quad's was brilliant, really well finished cabinets & overall you get the premium quality feeling oozing out of these speakers. So not only does one hear beautiful music out of them, one also gets the added pleasure of admiring these beauties.:clapping:

Looks like you had a good time. Your genre of music... I do know about it :)

Hope you liked the Paradigm 7s you heard at my place.

I had a ball of a time :yahoo:

Haven't I already praised the Monitor 7's in an earlier review??? Shaiju, your rig is set to provide years of entertainment to you & your friends. Enjoy it to your hearts content :)

:D Thanks Srini, have a feeling it was what the Audio Gods wanted :eek:hyeah: Never even thought of going for the demo in context of the discussion held elsewhere in our forum. Anyway, its my individual point of view & each one is entitled to his or her views/tastes.

Yes, I/We all have Shitij to thank for making this possible, infact I told him that I will be expressing my views (good or bad) on the forum prior to the commencement of the demo's to which he was very much comfortable & cool. Intermittently also discussed so many of the aspects that we generally discuss here & he gladly gave his points of view to each. Infact I benefited in learning more about this hobby of mine than just the demos, thanks to him:clapping:

Yes, the amp/source did not change for the demo of the above mentioned speakers, save for the Jade 7 for which I will write a separate review, please bear with me for that to be covered/written about ASAP.

Personally, I'm not a fan of wharfedales but the Quads do a lot of things right - especially for classical and jazz. They are kind of polite speakers and I respect them for what they do. I've not heard the 12L but I do like the 11L. The floorstander is a bit too laid back for me.

The 11L is one of the best speakers in its price range - especially if you listen to classical or jazz. It does especially well with a clean tube amp.

Plus the looks are stunning.

nlbuhh.jpg

6s4aqf.jpg

2qw05fk.jpg

34p1klc.jpg

hs6vr4.jpg

Wharfedale Jade 7 Floor Standing Speakers:

The moment I entered the demo room the Jade 7's were bang in my eyes, majestic looking towers with lovely vintage cherry veneered cabinets, tall & imposing, just the way I like my Floor Standing Speakers to look ;)

These Speakers dispense with the conventional grilles & in place has separate circular grilles for each of the mid range & bass drivers.

Couple of observations:

The grilles could have had magnets on them instead of the conventional plastic spikes to hold them in position over the drivers. Felt this to be a little over sight on the part of the design team/person.

Manufacture's Name Tag at the back of the speakers should have been better thought of than the simple stiff plastic adhesive tag on & serial nos were stuck on to this main sticker (Sure smells of cost cutting) but not justified for the speakers cost which is in the region of 2 Lacs :eek: Remember we are talking of Wharfedales here, the VFM speakers company :lol:

Barring these glaring deficiencies the rest of the build quality is top class & impressive. Loved the vintage cherry veneer.

The Speakers were paired to the following:

Quad
QC24 - Pre
909 - Power

Connected with Quad IC's to

Quad
CDP (An old one (circa 1995) to be precise & showing signs of wear & tear:p

Speaker Cables(Bi-Wired)
I did not ask & did not care much as I was just going to listen to them for a short period of time due thanks to exhaustive demo's of the Book shelves written about above, eating up almost all the time & me having negligible left.

Shitij played some Jazz to 'warm up' the pre-power amps before letting me play my CD's. Jazz to me always sounds nice on 9 out of 10 speakers so could not be critical in that period plus it was played during 'warming -up' of the amp. After the 'warm up', I heard 2 tracks from the list above & just for kicks played 1 track of Lady Gaga - 'Poker Face' :lol:

Following was my experience of the Jade 7's.

The sound was very neutral & sterile. That is the best I can put it in a nutshell. I expected the acufibre cones of the bass drivers to show some movement during the Lady Gaga Track but I just could not see any perceptible movement. These acufibre cones were really stiff. Shitij informed me that these speakers require a 'burn in' of 300 odd hours to really shine. Hmm, that is quite a lot of hours & the owners would require a good amount of patience to await the change in sound post their 'burn - in' :rolleyes:

Conclusion:
The music heard through these was nice but nothing spectacular. Maybe I should have heard them for a longer period of time, maybe I should have played some other genre of music. I would not like to pass judgement on them yet. This calls for a another session of listening to them, like after they have been 'burned-in':eek:hyeah:So lets leave it at that for now:)

Personally, I'm not a fan of wharfedales but the Quads do a lot of things right - especially for classical and jazz. They are kind of polite speakers and I respect them for what they do. I've not heard the 12L but I do like the 11L. The floorstander is a bit too laid back for me.

The 11L is one of the best speakers in its price range - especially if you listen to classical or jazz. It does especially well with a clean tube amp.

Plus the looks are stunning.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your experience on the speakers discussed. Re-affirms what I felt.

Nice looking speakers, but short review. Generally audiophile calls for 100hrs break-in for the bookshelf itself. So can wait up to 300hrs for your review further. Please make sure to visit after 300hrs and update us.:)

Thanks Denom,wish I cld join you next time.

Sure Spiro, why not!

Meanwhile, please work on arranging a Mumbai Meet, its really OVERDUE!!! We need to take a leaf out of Bengaluru Forum Members Initiatives + detailed planning & organize a similar meet for Mumbai & Its Surrounding areas.

Will help you in any which way I can for making such a meet possible :)

I heard quad 11L at panditji's place and those bookshelves were so good that I too started believing that bookshelves can better floorstanders. I was expecting 12L2 to be much better than 11L2 so that is some disapointment.
What is the price for 11L2? Wish a group buy is started so that I can get one pair for my bedroom (or maybe it ends up in living room, who knows).

I have been waiting for a review of these ever popular Wharfedale's for a long time and I am glad it is finally here. I agree, it is excellent value for money but I won't say the same for the sound. You get tired of it too soon. You can buy them if you don't really care about accuracy and that's about it.

I heard quad 11L at panditji's place and those bookshelves were so good that I too started believing that bookshelves can better floorstanders. I was expecting 12L2 to be much better than 11L2 so that is some disapointment.
What is the price for 11L2? Wish a group buy is started so that I can get one pair for my bedroom (or maybe it ends up in living room, who knows).

No chance of Quad Group buy as informed by Shitij as they(Quad) will not oblige such a offer :sad::mad:

Yes, Now hope you are too Doc Saheb ;)

I have personally never heard wharfs. The only time I have heard Quad is some QUAD floor stander (can't remember the model no. but it was floor stander) paired to Denon 710 AE and Norge 1000. Basically I was comparing the amps. The source was a Denon CD player.

While I found the sound to be pleasant, It didn't make me jump or something like that. Somehow I found that Denon and Norge 1000 were not different at least with these speakers. Now going by your review, It is likely that it was Quad 12L2. Would like to listen to 11L2. Will be visiting Mumbai at September end. Will PM you then:).

Very informative post denom. Like every other noob, I too thought Wharfedales were the way to begin this journey, what with the universal praise

But after reading this comparo of yours, seems like it will take a lot more effort at auditioning before I find speakers that work for me

I have heard many of the budget hifi speakers and feel that the Wharfs are not as bad as stated especially in the midrange & high frequencies section. The low end is a little weak gets better after burn in and a SW150 sub definitely helps.

Monitors, Quads, Q Acoustics and at a slightly higher price the PSBs may be slightly better for some genre's but nothing like night and day. And yes the Wharfies need amps with a wattage more than 60 to 70W RMS & definitely a couple of days of burn in till the kevlar drivers loosen up.

And yes read this post by Steve who is respected the world over as as audiophile guru! He has heard more speakers and headphones than anyone else on this forum.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20064619-47.html

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back