Mains DC and Transformer vibrations

omishra

Let me start this thread as I was latest victim of this. I got confirmed after reading this.

In stereo setup I used to find my 200VA toroidal transformer which used to vibrate intermittently. I thought there is some problem with transformer. But used to happen sometime only. Irrespective of amplifier which is powered with this, at lowest or highest volume. It was in an DIY MOSFET amplifier.

I have 3 phase connection in house, so I moved that amp to living room. There vibrations are not present. Back to bedroom room its back. I noticed whenever our water pump starts this also starts vibrating.

According to that suggestion, I added that 50A bridge and 2 X 4700uF, 100V caps in series of toroidal mains supply. I measured DC offset across diode bridge, it was ~ 230-246mV.

See pics.

After doing the modification I found that toroidal transformer just went silent. There was very tiny hum in output. That too vanished. I find clarity increased. Now its not getting as hot as it used to be earlier.

Does anybody experienced same? Now I am more inclined towards R-Core transformers in future or add this mod to all vibrating toroidal transformers.

Last edited:
Does anybody experienced same? Now I am more inclined towards R-Core transformers in future or add this mod to all vibrating toroidal transformers.

I dont remember everything I read about one, but is an R-Core immune to this by design?

--G0bble

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back