MARANTZ 1509 , wharfedale bookshelf 220 & wharfedale 225 C Setup issue with BIC america PL200 Subwoofer

Sarfraz

Friends/ Senior: Currently I am using marantz NR1509 having wharfedale bookshelf & centre speakers. Recently I have purchased BIC america PL200 subwoofer along with DAC cable having such a big issues like subwoofer not giving appropriate outcome.

Below is the setup after auddssy run

Front Cross over : 80HZ
Centre Cross Over : 80 HZ
Bic america pl200: 120HZ

Subwoofer on 50 percentage volume does not getting calibrated on auddysy. Subwoofer is only getting detected on the full voulume. Please suggest if anythings needs to be done wrt the settings.

Friends/ Senior: Currently I am using marantz NR1509 having wharfedale bookshelf & centre speakers. Recently I have purchased BIC america PL200 subwoofer along with DAC cable having such a big issues like subwoofer not giving appropriate outcome.

Subwoofer on 50 percentage volume does not getting calibrated on auddysy. Subwoofer is only getting detected on the full voulume. Please suggest if anythings needs to be done wrt the settings.

Are you using a proper subwoofer cable? Usually, the cable is the culprit. Borrow from someone else a cable and check.

Even after changing the cable, still the same issue, does the sub have some issue? Defect?

Are you using a proper subwoofer cable? Usually, the cable is the culprit. Borrow from someone else a cable and check.

Even after changing the cable, still the same issue, does the sub have some issue? Defect?
This cable ,have purchased from hi fi mart DAC RCA, seems not an issue in that.

Congratulations. That's a good system.

Few things to check.

1. All speakers set to Small.
2. Crossover knob on sub woofer set to the Largest number on the dial.
3. Volume/Gain on the sub set to a volume so that audyssey sets a gain in the negative range.

I am guessing you have done the sub crawl and found the ideal location of the sub. That's critical.

MaSh

Congratulations. That's a good system.

Few things to check.

1. All speakers set to Small.
2. Crossover knob on sub woofer set to the Largest number on the dial.
3. Volume/Gain on the sub set to a volume so that audyssey sets a gain in the negative range.

I am guessing you have done the sub crawl and found the ideal location of the sub. That's critical.

MaSh
Yes thank you for the response.

All speakers are set to small, during the calibration sub was auto tuned at -12db now performed manual high to -8. ( This was the highest volume calibration as to no sub connected fount till 50-60 per volume. Hence 75 percentage voulume is kept during the auddyssy),cross over is too setted to its max.

But the desired output ,I mean speaker is some where making unwanted noice like,churking noices.

Pl guid ,if some settings does the kill.

sub was auto tuned at -12db
Its said that when you get sub level -12 with audyssey,its not calibrated correctly. One should get more level than that.There is no issue if you keep sub volume up to 90% as audyssey needs to get a desired level.When sub is far from mic, it is hardly detected and audyssey will produce more tone and then set accordingly. The best way is to recalibrate again till get best level.

Yes thank you for the response.

All speakers are set to small, during the calibration sub was auto tuned at -12db now performed manual high to -8. ( This was the highest volume calibration as to no sub connected fount till 50-60 per volume. Hence 75 percentage voulume is kept during the auddyssy),cross over is too setted to its max.

But the desired output ,I mean speaker is some where making unwanted noice like,churking noices.

Pl guid ,if some settings does the kill.
Hey hi,

-ve 12 means, the gain is off the scale. As in the sub is too loud. Reduce the gain in the sub. It can be any number in the -ve range but Not -ve12.

Did you do a sub crawl ? You could be in a null zone.

MaSh

Hey hi,

-ve 12 means, the gain is off the scale. As in the sub is too loud. Reduce the gain in the sub. It can be any number in the -ve range but Not -ve12.

Did you do a sub crawl ? You could be in a null zone.

MaSh
Yes have crawl the sub and will more fine tune and let you know.

With all speaker type set to small, set the sub trim to -3 in AVR and adjust the volume on the subwoofer to 12 - 1'O clock position. Check the audyssey settings to ensure a curve is selected like reference or flat and make sure dynamic compression is not off and low frequency offset is at 0 db.

With all speaker type set to small, set the sub trim to -3 in AVR and adjust the volume on the subwoofer to 12 - 1'O clock position. Check the audyssey settings to ensure a curve is selected like reference or flat and make sure dynamic compression is not off and low frequency offset is at 0 db.
Thanks for the quick guidlines. Could you please elaborate this as m a new bie to understand this much details.
Where should I check the dynamic compression in the marantz settings also ,where exactly i should make low freq.off set...this is my what's app num if ok pl guide through,would be greatful.

Thanks for the quick guidlines. Could you please elaborate this as m a new bie to understand this much details.
Where should I check the dynamic compression in the marantz settings also ,where exactly i should make low freq.off set...this is my what's app num if ok pl guide through,would be greatful.

Hi Sarfraz,

Pls check these settings in the menu options of the Marantz which can be displayed on the TV. The reference curve option if I am not mistaken is generally used for movies and flat curve for stereo. It may be there under Audyssey or some other submenu.
As FM Shankara has advised you can try keeping your subwoofer level at -3 db and experiment with the level you prefer from the subwoofer. Use the gain knob behind the subwoofer for adjusting volume level around 11 to 12 o clock after adjusting the subwoofer level on the receiver.
Also if your fronts are very small, pls try crossing your fronts/surrounds at 100 or 110 hz upto the point your subwoofer does not sound localised and the subwoofer gets activated earlier as the crossover increases. Pls keep the crossover knob at Lfe on the subwoofer.

Regards,
Nitin

Hi Sarfraz,

Pls check these settings in the menu options of the Marantz which can be displayed on the TV. The reference curve option if I am not mistaken is generally used for movies and flat curve for stereo. It may be there under Audyssey or some other submenu.
As FM Shankara has advised you can try keeping your subwoofer level at -3 db and experiment with the level you prefer from the subwoofer. Use the gain knob behind the subwoofer for adjusting volume level around 11 to 12 o clock after adjusting the subwoofer level on the receiver.
Also if your fronts are very small, pls try crossing your fronts/surrounds at 100 or 110 hz upto the point your subwoofer does not sound localised and the subwoofer gets activated earlier as the crossover increases. Pls keep the crossover knob at Lfe on the subwoofer.

Regards,
Nitin
ShNitin & Sh shankara- Appreciate your help in the topic. After this follows have gote the superior sound.

Also with the same threat extension ,i also would like to get the info on upgradation of bookshelf speakers.

Currently I am using

Marantz 1509
Wharfedale diamond 220
Wharfedale 225 as a centre speakerbic america pl200 sub
note: I have bought/experienced evo 4.2previously but post a month usage the driver could not performed and had to return to the seller

Hi Sarfraz,

The room size will dictate your speaker size. If you are happy with your Warfedales then don't go for new ones.

Regards
Nitin

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back