Marantz amp with analog volume control (not digital)

amit11

Hi Friends,

I was thinking to buy another amplifier, currently i have yamaha as-500 and since few months i tend to find it slightly bright, so was searching for some amplifier which is not bright, and Marantz comes to the mind.

There are various models like PM6007, PM7000N, PM8006 etc and the later two are expensive then the first one. After reading in more detail I came to know that PM8006 has a 'digital volume' compared to normal analog volume control. I remember during one of my audition few years back, the person who was demoing was saying that analog volume is better than digital volume. I somehow tend to believe it and during my recent auditions of denon and yamaha with digital volume, i did not find them satisfying. So i am a bit confused what to purchase. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
amit11.

I have r
Hi Friends,

I was thinking to buy another amplifier, currently i have yamaha as-500 and since few months i tend to find it slightly bright, so was searching for some amplifier which is not bright, and Marantz comes to the mind.

There are various models like PM6007, PM7000N, PM8006 etc and the later two are expensive then the first one. After reading in more detail I came to know that PM8006 has a 'digital volume' compared to normal analog volume control. I remember during one of my audition few years back, the person who was demoing was saying that analog volume is better than digital volume. I somehow tend to believe it and during my recent auditions of denon and yamaha with digital volume, i did not find them satisfying. So i am a bit confused what to purchase. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
amit11.0
I have read online (no personal experience) that PM6007 and PM7000N are a bit brighter than the Marantz house sound, so it would be better to audition/compare with your Yamaha before buying. I have the PM8006 which I can confirm is not really warm compared to older Marantz amps (also had a PM7000 which was way warmer). Its not bright either...bass and mids are on the warmer side of neutral with highs a bit rolled off. You can also consider NAD amps, which are supposed to be much warmer than Marantz. On the volume front, I really don't know the difference between analog and digital controls, but from personal experience I have had zero problems with my PM8006.

PM7000N and PM8006 are warm sounding amps. PM8006 is powerful amp. Perhaps everyone’s rating is different in terms of warm and bright. There are many FMs who have written these are warm amps. You can refer the thread.

It is also depends on the speakers which you are going to pair.

Bdw which speakers you will connect?

Another advantage of the PM8006 is that in addition to bass and treble, it also has tone control for midrange. Using this you can 'tame' the upper mids making it sound a lot warmer than when it is in source direct. My personal preference is to leave it in source direct...lends more depth/focus with respect to the imaging. To be quite frank, I used the PM7000 for 20+ years and got a bit bored with its overly warm and laid-back sound signature. The 8006 is definately brighter in comparison, has great dynamics, and overall makes for a much more exciting listening experience.

There are various ways to implement hybrid or digital volume control. We dont know how 8006 vol. control is implemented. There are digital controls which only selects resistance so signal remains analog. However these are I suppose extremely minute issues. The rest of the amplifier looks very good so see it as complete package.
I had asked somewhat similar question here.
Most modern amplifiers have digital source selection/vol. control. (8006 is somewhat different I guess) Digital controls goes longway back and I suppose they have improved a lot. If we consider Vintage Amplifiers having out of specs caps, ps noise, noisy pots, Out of range resistors it still makes sound. or for that matter clueless DIYers like me having built chip amplifier have no idea how much noise/ripple my amp PS noise has or how much it distorts or clips. If we consider this, the digital control issues seems microscopically tiny to be safely ignored.

But still if perfection is required one option is to built DIY amplifier from compentant knowledgeable builder who can measure and get a high quality log pot installed. OR look for documented high end amplifiers having precision* log pots. But I think they are expensive.
Regards

* Digital control has some advantages like precise balance, separation etc.

having an analogue or a digital volume control affects the sound quality by any means? just curious to know. Does digital ones don’t have a knob?

Cant comment on sound quality. But I am sure difference (if any) will be extremely hard to measure or hear. 8006 I guess would have hybrid vol. control. The signal will remain analog. As for knob it is for visual cue and controling the ic by position i think.

Cant comment on sound quality. But I am sure difference (if any) will be extremely hard to measure or hear. 8006 I guess would have hybrid vol. control. The signal will remain analog. As for knob it is for visual cue and controling the ic by position i think.
okay thankyou! is there anything for identifying that something has a digital or analog volume control? by spec sheet or is there any visual cue?

Most modern majority of amplifiers have switched to digital vol. and selectors. One can findout from schematic or opening the amp (if not under warranty) or company specs if mentioned.

Most modern majority of amplifiers have switched to digital vol. and selectors. One can findout from schematic or opening the amp (if not under warranty) or company specs if mentioned.
nice! it's a great topic for me to learn something new :cool:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back