Marantz AVR & Dali Speakers

sid.india

Hi there,
Just started my hifi journey.
I have a Marantz 1402, all sources hooked to it.
Looking for speakers, budget 50-80k
Auditioned Dali Zensor 7 and Dali Ikon 6 Mk2. Liked both. Any opnion/option i should be looking at ?
Reviews are confusing ...

Been told that I should buy an AMP right away, atleast to support the Ikon 6, which is a good investment and the AVR can be changed much later.

the use is evenly spread around music(soft, slow rock, instrumental, sufi, classical, lounge etc) and movies.

sid.india,

The model Marantz 1402 which you have can deliver only 50W and the Dali Zensor 7 recommended is 40-150 W.

So you could try with some book shelf speakers which can be driven by the marantz say Dali Lektor 2,Dali Concept1,Dali Zensor 1 or some MS Mezzo BS etc.

In my opinion, If you ready to spend 50-80K then go with a Stereo amp say 20-30K and Good Floor standing or BS for 30-40K,But the marantz receive which you have needs to be rested or needs to be soled.

If you like to use the Marantz Receiver then go with BS speakers.So you decide on your thought:)

For normal music listening , you can use the Marantz with matching BS and save the money for futher upgrade or some other purpose

^^ very wisely suggested.
your chosen speakers need solid power..so you have to think of power source..that is streo amp..or a heavy avr..
or to drive with your present avr..go decent bookshelves..
if you have a fancy for the sopakers you chose,,go for them..but then slowly upgrade to avr with pre out and add stereo amp...can use them with present avr..but whole fun will be missing AND is risky for avr if you run them at even moderate volume...you have to run them at low volume..

thanks friends for the advise. i delayed the decision for buying the speakers for my marantz 1402. I am very happy with the marantz 1402, for it's sheer simplicity, integration, functionality and ease of use. on top of that i am ok with the old sony speakers (5) i hooked it up with , without the subwoofer. then since the room is pretty big (350 sft), and i thought of getting a better floor standing speaker for a more fuller sound and improved listening experience, i liked Dali Zensor 7 and Dali Ikon 6 Mk2. but i was told my avr is underpowered. so i am being strongly recommended dali zensor 5. what is your opinion ? also can I use any equipment to increase the power output to support bigger speakers ? i just dont want to do away my with avr it seems. what sub would you suggest to go with this as well ? and any other brand of speakers i should be looking at ? my usage is 30% tv and documentaries, 30% movies, 40% music and music videos.

Have you auditioned the Zensor 5? Lows were pretty hopeless and all over the place. Sounded very harsh to me. Auditioned with a Denon AVR and CA 651A.

Try Q Acoustics 2050i.

i would suggest you take your avr to KEF dealer and audition KEF Q300 book shelves paired with your avr. I understand your avr cannot drive floorstanders. You can also try bookshelf speakers like ms aviano 2 or monitor audio Bx2 or wharfedale diamonds. You can also check for second bookshelf speakers.

I am looking to sell my Dali ikon 6. You can bring your avr and test it thoroughly. Dali ikon 6 is a very efficient speaker (91.5db!). You need very little good power to enjoy them. Instead of the 90k MRP you'll get an excellent speaker for half that price.

Disclaimer: This is a suggestions and advice thread and therefore please don't misunderstand my comments as an attempt to push my intended sale. But for the benefit of improving our collective understanding I will mention a few of my personal observations.

Power ratings and specifications are not always the only thing to go by although they can be a good place to start. Having said that, I am using the Ikon 6 with Yamaha RX-V471 which in the manual carries two different power specifications - 105W/ch in 6 ohms (1 KHz, 0.9% THD, 1 channel driven, 85 W/ch in 8 ohms (1 Khz, 0.9% THD, 1 channel driven). The Marantz specs state 50 W/ch in 8 ohms (20Hz to 20 Khz, 0.08% THD, 2 channels driven). Please note the underlined portions. If Yamaha was measured at 8 ohms, 0.08% THD, 20Hz to 20Khz, 2 channels driven (like marantz)- its power rating would not be more than 45W/ ch.

THE FACT IS - In my 375 sq. ft. home theatre, yamaha is driving the ikon 6 very comfortably for movies as well as music. I have yet not gone above -10 db volume scale (5 channels driven) for movies and -15db while listening to music (only ikons driven) on this AVR for reaching more than sufficient loudness at decent sound quality. Of course, the sound quality in comparison to a dedicated integrated is a totally different criteria and not even a 1 Lac AVR can match even a 50K integrated in that criteria.

Point is, specifications are important but not decisive in component selection. Only an audition is decisive. A floorstander is not necessarily power hungry and a bookshelf is not necessarily easy. You have an opportunity to test this yourself since you are in delhi and I will be more than happy to oblige - just to help you build your experiential understanding. No vested interests at all!

thanks friends for the advise. i delayed the decision for buying the speakers for my marantz 1402. I am very happy with the marantz 1402, for it's sheer simplicity, integration, functionality and ease of use. on top of that i am ok with the old sony speakers (5) i hooked it up with , without the subwoofer. then since the room is pretty big (350 sft), and i thought of getting a better floor standing speaker for a more fuller sound and improved listening experience, i liked Dali Zensor 7 and Dali Ikon 6 Mk2. but i was told my avr is underpowered. so i am being strongly recommended dali zensor 5. what is your opinion ? also can I use any equipment to increase the power output to support bigger speakers ? i just dont want to do away my with avr it seems. what sub would you suggest to go with this as well ? and any other brand of speakers i should be looking at ? my usage is 30% tv and documentaries, 30% movies, 40% music and music videos.

With a modest powered AVR, you should be looking @ a higher sensitivity speaker...

There is a difference between driving a BS / FS having the same efficiecny @ 90db with a modest power AVR like Marantz AVR 1402...

I would suggest you take an audition of Sonodyne Avant 150/250 range of speakers in addition to recommendations by other FM's...The speakers are rated @ 90db efficiency/Sensitivity...

You can also look @ their Roarr range of subwoofers...Roar 108/210

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back