Marantz - CD6003 & PM7001 - Speakers ?

COOLDUDE7808

Hi All ,

I have purchased Marantz PM 7001 and will be getting a CD6003 in a week's time .

PM7001 output is 70W at 8 Ohms and 120 at 4 Ohms -

Pls Help me out with the speakers (bookshelf only - space constraints)

Budget is around 50,000 for the speakers alone and can be extended upto 60k also .

Room Size is 15 / 11

My genre of music - Pop , Heavy metal , rock , classical , Tamil film songs , Folk ...

Last edited:
@CD
Have u auditioned any yet?
Check out Quad 12L2 bookshelves.

You shall like them for
- Bass handling
- Mid range delivery
- Treble might just be an issue ..but pls do hear it to assess further.
- Compliments the budget quite comfortably

I very regularly hear to Quad 11L2 and 12L2 is elder brother with bigger cabinet and more powerful Bass response.

on the contrary ..whats the room size, since u speak of space constraints cause for all you know even a speaker like Quad 11L2 may just be enuf.

thanks .. ..room size is 15 / 11 -

i have not auditioned any since the amp was purchased from Grey market

thanks .. Just saw the specs for both ...

Speakers

QUAD 11L2 - 85 watts at 6 Ohms
Quad 12L2 - 100 watts at 6 ohms
MA BR2 - 100 watts at 6 ohms

impedance not being 8 ohms and also if i decide to connect it to 4 ohms in Marantz , it throws a output of 120W RMS so the speaker output falls short

Hi All ,

I have purchased Marantz PM 7001 and will be getting a CD6003 in a week's time .

Pls Help me out with the speakers (bookshelf only - space constraints)

Budget is around 50,000 for the speakers alone and can be extended upto 60k also .

Room Size is 15 / 11

My genre of music - Pop , Heavy metal , rock , classical , Tamil film songs , Folk ...

Go for the quads. Or the MA Bronze. They'll go well with your set up. At 6 ohms the speakers will be just about right to handle the Marantz's output without getting fried.

With your Marantz CDP and amp, see if you can audition a PSB bookshelf within your budget. I am not sure if the PSB Imagine B can be accommodated in your budget, but these generally would give you a nice body to the sound coming from your Marantz Electronics. I have not heard the Imagines Bs, but my guess is they would go nicely with your electronics and give the sound a better body than Marantz+MA or Marantz+Quad. As I said, it's just my guess. You got to listen to this combination if you can.

Regards.

@CD
I have the PM series amp and Quad 11L2 ..and for a room of 11x15 ..the 11L2 shall be enuf to fill your room.

You shud take ur amp to the speaker seller and audition the package. Dont hesitate doing this, its the usual and best way out to pick what you like, as you will hear it from 'ur' power box.

Absolutely second Sid's recommendation.
Quad 11L2/12L2 are excellent bookshelf spkrs for the money & are extremely musical.

impedance not being 8 ohms and also if i decide to connect it to 4 ohms in Marantz , it throws a output of 120W RMS so the speaker output falls short

hi cooldude7808 -

speaker rating (rms) does not have to match the amplifier rating at the specified resistance (ohms).

you could use a 500 watt (RMS) solid state amplifier to drive a 50 watt (rms) loudspeaker of , say, 87 db/watt/meter - you would have enough leeway for impedance dips and control of the need for adequate current (amps).

regds

Hi,
I do not doubt the abilities of Quad 11L2 and 12L2. They are both very good. I have heard both of them quite extensively. The Marantz PM7001 will drive them without any trouble. However I feel a PSB may go even better (more musicality, definitely more bass and naturally more body to the sound) with Marantz electronics. This is a suggestion based on synergy and whatever I have heard of the Marantz budget electronics and PSB speakers. This is only a suggestion for audition. Hear this combination if you can, compare and then decide.

Regards.

Last edited:
thanks all ....i will try this out this weekend ....

KKsunil - got the PM7001 for 21K from grey ......he quoted 22K ........that's the normal price in Mumbai ....this is a discontinued model ......

Hi Suri - The manual says the following -

Your speaker system must satisfy the below conditions. If it
does not, the PM7001s protective circuit will active, whereby
preventing proper playback. In some cases, the amplifier and
speakers may be damaged.
If using 1 set of speakers, total speaker impedance must be
4? or more.
If using 2 sets of speakers, total speaker impedance must be 8? or more.

Nominal impedance is 6 ohms for Quad's ... so how does it work ? ...if I connect a pair of speakers ...it means 6+6 = 12 i.e since the total is 12 ohms ...........tomm if need be I can connect a second pair of speakers ?

spirovious - yes u are right ... if normal is 22K .........then grey should have been much less , .......unfortunately PM7001 is not available ....8003 is the current fav ....

googled for more info ...extracts from a article ...

A good amplifier will produce its rated power into 4? with less than 0.1% THD (in higher-end amplifiers, less than 0.05% THD at full power is commonplace). While many manufacturers claim their amplifiers will handle a 2? load (and may publish 2? power ratings), amplifiers NEVER work at their best with very low impedances (see FTC ratings, above). It may nevertheless be worth getting an amplifier with 2? capability, as it is designed to withstand higher current demands, and so will more comfortably manage 4? nominal loads at high power without distortion or overheating. Use it to drive 2? nominal loads, however, and the best you can ever expect is that it will survive the abuse.

You also need to consider the load your amplifiers are required to drive (the lower the impedance, the greater the load). Most amplifiers are designed to drive loads of 4? (and will driver higher impedances, but not lower). A speaker with a nominal impedance of 4? will usually have a lower impedance in part of its frequency range. For this reason, driving multiple speaker arrays with a combined nominal impedance lower than 4? is not recommended, even if the amplifier's technical specifications claim it will drive 2?. At best, the amplifier's damping factor will be reduced (see below). At worst, the amplifier will overheat and shut down or burn out during a show. Avoiding low load impedance is most important at low frequencies (where power demands are highest, and where cone mass - requiring tighter damping control - is greatest). The higher the load impedance, the greater the damping factor (see below). Generally, this means that audio quality will deteriorate with lower impedance loads: in "hi-fi" terms, your amplifiers will probably perform at their best when driving 8? loads.

PA Power Amplifiers

@CD, I have a PM 7001 driving a pair of Quad 11L, no issues with power handling at all. The combination sounds loud enough even with the volume knob at 11 o'clock position. I find them slightly bass shy though. I guess 11L2/12L2 would be better in the bass dept. Do audition them.

~Swapnil

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back