Marantz dv4001 as cd player

jaudere

Hello friends,
I have posted this purposely in this section because I am exploring audio reproduction qualities of this dvdp.
I hope this will prove a midway option for those who dont want run of the mill dvdp but dont want to spend either on dedicated cdp or htpc.

I was in Mumbai for 10 days for a study tour. I utilized all my evenings in auditions of various cd players as I was looking for a decent source for audio cd. I auditioned following
1)Marantz cd6003 with marantz pm 6003 paired with paradigm s10. The best combo. Too good. Was quoted 19.6k for the cdp with bill & warranty. Was out of my budget.

2)Cambridge audio dv87 with 550 amp with wharfs 10.2. Another excellent combo for music . I wanted Dv 99 but it was not on demo.Had almost finalized CA DV99 but was out of stock.

3)then came across marantz dv4001 at Viola. Paired with pm 4001 and some jamo towers. Good sound. Not as great as others but i think that was fault of speakers rather than anything else. Was not interested in video features at all but nevertheless the video quality was excellent.

Took a plunge and bought it for 11k with bill and warranty.

So this marantz dvd player will be now my source for audio cd. Will be reaching Home today. Then will compare it with my previous source (8 year old sony dvdp).
I will be more than happy if it performs better than the old sony. ( this sony sounds much better than today's dvdps, is larger and heavier than recent models and much better display . Only dedicated cdps have better displays)

Here are my initial impressions:

1) Marantz DVDp sounds better than sony DVDp. Bass is same but treble is better and backgound noise is much less. So it definitely serves my purpose.

2) It sounds as good as my netbook with Creative x Fi USB sound card.

3) The combo of marantz DVDp--->pm6002--->Ventronic bookshelves in my home sounds as good as CA DV87--->CA 550--->Wharf diamond 10.2 at Alliance 4 .This was not a AB test but my impression when I heard the combos with a gap of one day, using same tracks with same CDs.

Even i found cd6003 to be better. However I could not make myself spend extra 9k for it.
In addition, all other auditions were with budget book shelves or towers whereas the marantz cd p was auditioned with paradigm book shelves costing 40k. So I dont know what percentage of the better sound was due to cdp & how much was due to speakers.
Forgot to mention another combo. Nad 515 >Nad 355>PSB Towers. Was too good. Better than marantz>paradigm. However the cost of the towers itself was 180k. So i dont think it is a fair comparison. The same cdp amp combo from Nad did not impress me at all when paired with PSB Image B6. It also brought up confusion in my mind whether it was the cdp that improved the audio quality or the speakers.

Last edited:
Jaudere,
Great thread. Looks like a product for those who want get a disc source between a mass market dvd player and a dedicated CD player.

Do post in more detailed review especially compared to your Sony DVD player, i am aware that some of these old dvd players would out performs todays el-cheapo ones.

Actually the comparison is bit difficult at present. I have shifted my music set up from living room to bed room. It was almost furnitureless. The whole thing was quite boomy.
I shifted some furnitre into the room and covered part of the walls with curl on mattresses(already there in home). Now the boom has reduced.
This DVDp also has up sampling feature for audio. I am experimenting with that. Set at 4X (176.4 hz) at present. I am also expecting speaker stands in next week. So I am changing too many variables at the same time. Once the rig is set to my satisfaction, i will put in the sony DVD player for comparison.

This marantz player has video upscaling as well. I had a monitor with dvi in. So i have connected it to the dvdp with HDMI-DVI Adapter. Works very well.

This player has a feature called Audio EX. When put on, it switches off the LCD Display of the player and analogue video out. Supposed to improve sound quality. However I could not make out any Difference in the sound quality.

Last edited:
No. The dealer had only 4001.
I had NAD T515 &517 in mind as well but did not get chance to audition it.

When in the United States, a friend of mine bought a DV8001 (i think it was) from eBay in splendid condition. Paid $200 for it which I thought was a bargain. It could play absolutely any format thrown at it, especially audio. Looked rock solid, built like a tank, was very heavy and was the black version. Remember, he had trouble carring it as hand-luggage on the way back. Something interesting about it was it was rated for 110-120 volts (for use in the United States) but when he brought it back to India, his brother accidently plugged it into the 220volts mains supply (using the universal strip, I assume) and nothing actually happened. It worked great on the 220volts supply. Later on, when he opened it up, he understood from a sticker inside that it could work from 110-220 volts and had a fuse rated for 220 volts, 5 amps. Interesting!!

From a sound perspective, thought it sounded a little dull when compared to my marantz cd63se, but then, the cd63se does sound a bit bright when compared to others :)

Last edited:
That was my exact problem. I could not make myself spend 15 k extra for that "little" dullness/brightness/muddyness. (pioneer DVD Player vs marantz cd6003).
So I settled for something which is
1)bit more expensive than the pioneer, but less than dedicated cdp.

2)better sounding than pioneer

3)much more well built(5kg for dvd player), with full metal body and double base plate.

4)much more attractive with better display,

5)which has a remote that works for my amp also

6)plays video as a bonus

7)from a reputed brand.

I did not get opportunity to compare it with marantz cdp side by side (with amp & speakers remaining constant). Cdp may be better as so many people say that. However i dont think i have the ears which can make out the difference and I consider myself lucky for that. :) . Only rich people should have capable ears (if they like music).

By the way,the other variables have settled now and its time to compare it with my old sony dvdp which I liked very much.

Looking forward to your comparison, would be great if you could compare to a PS3 as well...hehe

My current source is my PS3 and am contemplating whether to go for a dedicated CDP or a DVD player like the DV4001/6001.

Time to face the reality.
Compared my 8 year old sony(Aiwa) dvdp with Marantz dv4001. The cd,interconnects, amp,speaker and speaker position were identical.

Test tracks: all audio cds
1)Tere mast mast nain: Dabbang: for good male vocals.

2)Have you ever really loved a woman: Brian adams : for acoustic guitar

3)Hello:Lionel Richie for subtle background sounds

4) Shape of my heart by sting:for feel of ambience

5) Unfaithful:Rihanna: for female vocals and background music

Each song played on one player and immediately on second player.

Well, to tell you really, I could not make out any difference between the two players.

I am happy and unhappy at the same time.

1)this test tells me that my old player is better than today's mass market dvdp. (marantz was definitely superior to pioneer and my player is equal to marantz)

I had felt this when i was using yamaha avr. The analogue out from the dvdp gave better SQ Than digital out where Avr served as DAC. The receives was an entry level model 361.

2) my old dvdp has served well without any hitches for audio for 8 years without any servicing and with rough use. It does have problem with video play back but that is not the issue here.
I think it deserves servicing now. Need to find someone good in Goa.

The only advantage marantz has is 1)can be operated with same remote as that of amp .
It has HDMI Out (not there is Sony) but that is not the reason why I bought it.

So it seems like i now have 2 equally good sources. Time to look for another amp and get the open baffle speakers up and working again to serve as my second (not secondary) system for living room.

Time to face the reality.
Compared my 8 year old sony(Aiwa) dvdp with Marantz dv4001. The cd,interconnects, amp,speaker and speaker position were identical.

Test tracks: all audio cds
1)Tere mast mast nain: Dabbang: for good male vocals.

2)Have you ever really loved a woman: Brian adams : for acoustic guitar

3)Hello:Lionel Richie for subtle background sounds

4) Shape of my heart by sting:for feel of ambience

5) Unfaithful:Rihanna: for female vocals and background music

Each song played on one player and immediately on second player.

Well, to tell you really, I could not make out any difference between the two players.

I am happy and unhappy at the same time.

1)this test tells me that my old player is better than today's mass market dvdp. (marantz was definitely superior to pioneer and my player is equal to marantz)

I had felt this when i was using yamaha avr. The analogue out from the dvdp gave better SQ Than digital out where Avr served as DAC. The receives was an entry level model 361.

2) my old dvdp has served well without any hitches for audio for 8 years without any servicing and with rough use. It does have problem with video play back but that is not the issue here.
I think it deserves servicing now. Need to find someone good in Goa.

The only advantage marantz has is 1)can be operated with same remote as that of amp .
It has HDMI Out (not there is Sony) but that is not the reason why I bought it.

So it seems like i now have 2 equally good sources. Time to look for another amp and get the open baffle speakers up and working again to serve as my second (not secondary) system for living room.

I think the stands which I bought recently need a special mention. They made significant difference to SQ especially imaging. The sound is much more enjoyable. Recently had a visitor who plays Sitar. I played 'kehna hi kya' from Bombay for her. Her impression was 'This is having a real feel of music'.

Got them made by Magma. Sal Alif with some modifications to make them heavier and more childproof. I have posted details in my audio video set up.

Back