Marantz MM 7055 running into Protection Mode.

antoniodias

I purchased this well cared and used amp from a very our knowledgeable HFV forum member. I had it for almost a year and had no complaints. Suddenly the worst was to happen. Protection circuit trips way too easily. Sometimes I can't watch TV for more than 10 minutes without the protection circuit tripping. Even if I play Vinyls it’s bound to give some squeaky sounds for a few seconds and then totally the source sound goes off. I then have to disengage the power supply from the wall and restart. It then works for few minutes and the cycle repeats. Bought an expensive surge protector that did not correct the problem. Have switched out everything connected to this amp and nothing has completely cured the problem. I have figured out that it even trips when there is nothing connected to it. I make sure the electrical connection is easily accessible as I will constantly be unplugging it to reset the protection circuit.
Of lately I saw something new, that it won’t just start up anymore. Just like I should say it is dead now and I cannot anymore enjoy my Vinyls. Worse more in this COVID situation, I cannot travel to Mumbai from Goa to give it for servicing.
Can someone from our Forum, throw some light if they have had experienced such similar situation, and give us the insight as to how they go about to get it back to normal again?. Thanks readers for giving me your time.

The slow slide seems to indicate that it’s a bad cap at the output stage.
Can you open up the box and eyeball the capacitors, a leaked one is usually evident with a visual inspection

I purchased this well cared and used amp from a very our knowledgeable HFV forum member. I had it for almost a year and had no complaints. Suddenly the worst was to happen. Protection circuit trips way too easily. Sometimes I can't watch TV for more than 10 minutes without the protection circuit tripping. Even if I play Vinyls it’s bound to give some squeaky sounds for a few seconds and then totally the source sound goes off. I then have to disengage the power supply from the wall and restart. It then works for few minutes and the cycle repeats. Bought an expensive surge protector that did not correct the problem. Have switched out everything connected to this amp and nothing has completely cured the problem. I have figured out that it even trips when there is nothing connected to it. I make sure the electrical connection is easily accessible as I will constantly be unplugging it to reset the protection circuit.
Of lately I saw something new, that it won’t just start up anymore. Just like I should say it is dead now and I cannot anymore enjoy my Vinyls. Worse more in this COVID situation, I cannot travel to Mumbai from Goa to give it for servicing.
Can someone from our Forum, throw some light if they have had experienced such similar situation, and give us the insight as to how they go about to get it back to normal again?. Thanks readers for giving me your time.
Probably if some thing goes wrong in output section either driver transisitors or pre driver stage amps go in to protection mode by a relay. Better get it serviced by a knowledgeable technician

regards

you have done everything that u could ....maybe you can open it and clean it up , try a different power cord and if still it does not work .....then contact MZ audio ..

When the protection stage kicks in, superficial troubleshooting won’t work. If your speakers aren’t shorting, then there’s nothing much that you can do. The amp will have to go in for repairs. From the symptoms you’ve mentioned, it’s possible that there are some capacitor issues either with the power supply or in the output stages. All you can perhaps do is open up and look for physically damaged bloated or leaking Electrolytic capacitors. If all visually appears normal then a tech would need to take a look.

For what it's worth, a friend's sub had a similar issue.
The sub started going into protection with slowly reducing cycle time till it started going into protection immediately at startup

Dealer quoted an obscene price so DIY ensued.
Spotted a clearly leaked output stage cap.
Replacement part (with a better rating) was 150/- and 1.5 hours of work.
Not including the cost of beer he had to foot :)

For what it's worth, a friend's sub had a similar issue.
The sub started going into protection with slowly reducing cycle time till it started going into protection immediately at startup

Dealer quoted an obscene price so DIY ensued.
Spotted a clearly leaked output stage cap.
Replacement part (with a better rating) was 150/- and 1.5 hours of work.
Not including the cost of beer he had to foot
Ha, you have not mentioned where you are located. I would have gladly shared a beer with you if you could identify why my marantz 7010 went to protection. :p Sadly, now it's with a local dealer and a friend who might have to send it to B'lore for repairs. Needless to say, my AVR is going to give me a shock when i receive my bill for repairs.

The slow slide seems to indicate that it’s a bad cap at the output stage.
Can you open up the box and eyeball the capacitors, a leaked one is usually evident with a visual inspection
Thanks dude I will do as you say as I have no reliable technician here in Goa, and will keep you updated. God bless

Probably if some thing goes wrong in output section either driver transisitors or pre driver stage amps go in to protection mode by a relay. Better get it serviced by a knowledgeable technician

regards
Sorry dude it is my bad luck that I don’t have a reliable technician in Goa. Thanks

When the protection stage kicks in, superficial troubleshooting won’t work. If your speakers aren’t shorting, then there’s nothing much that you can do. The amp will have to go in for repairs. From the symptoms you’ve mentioned, it’s possible that there are some capacitor issues either with the power supply or in the output stages. All you can perhaps do is open up and look for physically damaged bloated or leaking Electrolytic capacitors. If all visually appears normal then a tech would need to take a look.
Dear Reubens, I am proud of your advise and follow it. Thanks for helping as a
ways. God bless

buddy i had similar issue with my NAD amplifier. My advise would wait until you reach mumbai and get it repaired by a well trained guy.

When turning the equipment in for repairs, good to keep the following notes in mind:

1) Protection mode in an amp is like us getting a fever. When it comes to fever, the reason can be as simple as a weather change or something more serious. The amp can go into protection mode if there is a simple dry solder in a key area or a variety of reasons leading up to major component failure. Only a skilled technician who has component level repair competence (not the modern PCB replacers :) ) and is familiar with the amplifier's design philosophy, should take a look.

2) Component level diagnosis and repair is done using a checklist (in the mind, gained out of experience). Its just as how pilots use checklists for various duties that they perform when flying aircraft. If a checklist is not followed, successful repair is almost never achieved or sometimes partially achieved with some possible future consequences.

3) Protection faults provide any knowledgeable mech, an easy opportunity for looting the customer. The fault can be something simple but made to look very difficult which requires exorbitant repair costs :)

4) When this issue comes up, spot fixing will never sort out the issue completely. The mech will have to do an inside-out check of the amp as the reasons can easily crop up again and cause the amp to fail after a few hours working

5) After coming back from the mech when a protection issue is addressed, the amp has to be stress tested or simply can be left to run for long durations, say 12 hours at moderate listening levels, fully cooled down for about 12 hours and made to run again for another 12 hours. If anything is to come up again, you will definitely find out.

6) Techs when working on amps with switch mode power supplies commonly diagnose the power transformer as faulty. The chances are extremely rare so if your tech tells you this, request that he returns the amp immediately without doing anything on it. The amp with a replaced or rewound power transformer will continue to fail unless the original transformer was failing badly (for which you would have definitely noticed physical signs like smell of something burning, transformer getting unusually hot, etc)

7) Once a protection issue is resolved (depending on what the root cause is), it is always better to recalibrate the amp to factory specs.

Some common (not exhaustive) reasons for amps going into protection mode are:

External circumstances (within the user's control)
  • Shorted speakers, or running speaker impedance configurations below 4 ohms (common these days especially with so many DIY speakers around) faulty speaker cross-overs. In some cases, especially with very high power amplifiers, speaker load is a key factor and open circuit in speaker wiring can also trigger the protection circuitry
  • Amplifier overheating due to lack of proper ventilation or cooling, especially when running at high levels
  • Some liquid spilling on the top of the amplifier and seeping in
  • Using amplifiers with switch mode power supplies, with UPS (avoid all, especially UPS which are not True Sine Wave types) or portable gensets
  • Using amplifiers with switch mode power supplies, with voltage stabilizers (especially the older ones that are not reliable)
  • Using amplifiers with switch mode power supplies with an unreliable electricity supply with voltage fluctuations and spikes, sparking power sockets with loose contacts can damage the amplifier's powersupply. Always use tight fitting mains plugs, preferably 3-way as they tend to fit and hold on very well in addition to being safer
Internal circumstances (should be analyzed and repaired only by a knowledgeable mech)
  • Dry solder, especially in the power supply and power amplifier sections
  • Microscopic PCB fracture (can happen due to multiple reasons and not just physical abuse)
  • Electrolytic capacitor failure in the Power Supply and Power amplifier stages (these are the most stressed components during an amplifier's running). Faulty capacitors don't always display physical damage and hence, should be checked with a capacitance and ESR meter even if they appear physically intact
  • Blown resistors - yes, its not always that a blown resistor looks darkened or broken. Faulty resistors may at times function with incorrect impedance. This instance is very rare but extremely difficult to diagnose.
  • Blown semiconductors - transistors, integrated circuits, thyristors, and diodes (both rectifier and signal types). And yes diodes, these are often ignored when troubleshooting.
  • Amplifier losing its idle current and bias calibration (due to various reasons which have to be diagnosed separately). Component failure in the power amplifier section or components that may be partially functional and on the verge of failing, can contribute
  • Faulty protection stage, it is common for the protection stage itself to malfunction or in the process of protecting the amp from some other failure outcome, the protection stage at times, sacrifices itself :)
  • Faulty speaker relay (yes these are electromechanical switches and have a life span depending on the quality of relay used)
  • Blown fuses - yes i have intentionally put this one last as a blown fuse is an indication of something else going wrong and further investigation is required. If the amp has not been opened before it is likely that it was working with factory-spec fuses and hence, the chances of fuses overheating and blowing are very less (unless the amp was over-driven)
Note: The above is based on my experiences with resolving this issue. There is more to it but these are the common ones. A protection issue is not like final stage cancer. All protection issues can be resolved. However mechs may tell you that the amp's life is over and the amp has to be discarded. Never do this :)

Last edited:
  • Using amplifiers with switch mode power supplies, with UPS (avoid all, especially UPS which are not True Sine Wave types) or portable gensets
  • Using amplifiers with switch mode power supplies, with voltage stabilizers (especially the older ones that are not reliable)
  • Using amplifiers with switch mode power supplies with an unreliable electricity supply with voltage fluctuations and spikes, sparking power sockets with loose contacts can damage the amplifier's powersupply. Always use tight fitting mains plugs, preferably 3-way as they tend to fit and hold on very well in addition to being safer

A few queries. I had my marantz connected to my Numeric LI UPS. I don't think marantz runs on an SMPS. Not sure. Anyway, initially it used to give out shotgun like sounds when played loudly which scared me no end. Then after a month or so, it went into protection mode.

My query is as follows:

Does my Marantz have a SMPS ? Is it safe to connect receivers to a LI UPS ?
I am also thinking of getting a good 3000va servo stabilizer. Is that advisable ?
Thirdly, I have connected my gaming PC to the Numeric LI 2000 va UPS. Is the SMPS in a computer different from a SMPS in a receiver ?

Thanks for a very informative post.

<snip>
Does my Marantz have a SMPS ? Is it safe to connect receivers to a LI UPS ?
I am also thinking of getting a good 3000va servo stabilizer. Is that advisable ?
Thirdly, I have connected my gaming PC to the Numeric LI 2000 va UPS. Is the SMPS in a computer different from a SMPS in a receiver ?
<snip>
AV systems like sine wave power. Normal PC UPS is modified square-wave.
PC power supply is SMPS and it does not matter here.
If your UPS is a battery and a sinewave inverter, AV gear will work.
Of course, the power backup should be able to take the load.

The Marantz PM7001 I have, sometimes shuts off when mains-to-backup happens.
The other amps are quite fine when this happens.
FYI: I have a Microtek 800VA Sinewave Inverter with Exide Battery.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
I am not sure about the technicalities but these suggestions are based on practical observations. Recently I was called in to work on a NAD C370 amplifier, one of the more robust amplifiers of NAD. The owner had newly shifted into an apartment block using Solar Power as its primary source of electricity. The electricity board line is only used if the batteries charged by solar energy during the day, fall below a certain threshold at night. Within a week of shifting in, the NAD C370 went into protection mode and would not start. Changed the filter caps in the power supply and then it started working again. Now, the C370 is an older model and it could have been that the filter caps were on the way out. Anyways the amplifier was sold and they moved to a pioneer AV receiver which seems to be working well.

I have also worked on a couple of C320s which were damaged by the same approach. While one suffered severe damage especially to the power supply and protection stages, the other started cutting off intermittently which I traced down to the speaker relay. Bottom line is, this issue is not easy to resolve but can be resolved. Also prevention is better than cure :)

From the perspectives of voltage stabilizers (i have specifically mentioned the old types which we commonly used to pair with TVs and Refrigerators in the old times) as these were based on a simple principle. They had an auto transformer inside with some taps, a few taps for step down, one tap for constant voltage and few taps for step up. Depending on whether the mains supply dropped or increased, a relay driven circuit would switch the source to the appropriate tap. Of course, if the supply voltage dropped below a certain threshold or increased over a certain threshold, the circuit would disengage the auto transformer and switch off the equipment. In theory this is a good method and also it works efficiently well when the stabilizer is new. With time however, these stabilizers tend to become unreliable (especially when switching off for breach of threshold) which can cause damage to equipment plugged into them. I have known of folks using surge protection instead of voltage stabilization. I have no experience with servo-controlled voltage stabilizers though.

Here is a typical example of a electronically switched voltage stabilization unit:

triac%2Bcontrolled%2Bvoltage%2Bstabilizer%2Bcircuit.jpg

Edit: I have not mentioned this above but please ensure that you unplug your audio equipment from the mains supply (completely unplug, not just switching of the panel switch) during thunderstorms, irrespective of whatever earthing or protection you have installed at your home. I once encountered an amplifier (I think it was Denon or Onkyo I can't remember) that came in with protection issues. The amplifier was kept plugged, though not in use, during a thunder storm. I recollect changing a regulator in the power supply and some filter caps to get it to work.

Last edited:
My NAD C320 protection mode caused due to a square wave invertor. All the power caps got leaked and couple of other stuffs went bad now i am using direct line for mains for audio rig

please ensure that you unplug your audio equipment from the mains supply (completely unplug, not just switching of the panel switch) during thunderstorms, irrespective of whatever earthing or protection you have installed at your home.

I do this all the time now before going to sleep. Everything that can be unplugged is unplugged. I had a fire due to short circuit in my old home at 3 in the morning. Now am very scared of shorting so everything is unplugged.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back