Marantz NA 7004 price drop.. Time to buy?

Musical Fidelity M1 Clic has a better sound in my opinion and even comes very close to Linn Akurate DS costing many times more.

The difference is large in sound too.
However the difference between Linn Akurate and MF M1Clic is minimal (diminishing returns?)

I suggest that you try to hear them both before going for one.

I think you cannot compare a 22k player with a 80k+ one. A person with a budget around 20k will definitely take Marantz at this price but I am sure he will not be thinking of 80k player leave the sound quality aside.

This is a huge price drop and definitely worth it, if you are happy with the NA 7004. Personally, I am waiting to see what the Olive One project comes up with

I have a NA 7004 and Sound quality is great and its solidly built, But the software is bad. It does not support NTFS usb disks or Usb disks with multiple partitions. It takes a very long time to boot and discover the DLNA server or even the USB disks. You need to use a third-party android app to control it from a phone/tablet. It does not have a volume control so you need an AVR/Intergrated amp or a Preamp incase you need to connect to
a pure power amp.

Just switched to CA Stream Magic 6 as my primary player. SQ is a tad better than NA7004 but not noticeable that much , the software is much better, Android app is good, It also has a built in Digital Preamp.

I have a NA 7004 and Sound quality is great and its solidly built, But the software is bad. It does not support NTFS usb disks or Usb disks with multiple partitions. It takes a very long time to boot and discover the DLNA server or even the USB disks. You need to use a third-party android app to control it from a phone/tablet. It does not have a volume control so you need an AVR/Intergrated amp or a Preamp incase you need to connect to
a pure power amp.

Just switched to CA Stream Magic 6 as my primary player. SQ is a tad better than NA7004 but not noticeable that much , the software is much better, Android app is good, It also has a built in Digital Preamp.

Thanks for sharing your experience, may be that is the reason they reduced the price. Most probably discontinuing it too.

Anyway this is no longer available in Bangalore as my enquiry with couple of dealers yielded no result.

How much you paid for Stream magic 6? PM me if you do not want to disclose it in public forum.

Glad to hear of this price drop as I have been planning to use this machine only as an internet radio receiver. Hopefully I can take a S/PDIF out from this and feed it into my DAC.
Should sound good.

^^^ get an appletv for that.

I do not know much about how this device works. I notice that it does not have SPDIF but seems to have a Toslink output? This will work to stream the digital signal of the internet radio to my pre-amplifier.
Also, I assume I can connect it also to my TV via the HDMI output to use it to stream video signals. But can you please just clarify what is the interface. How does one link it to you laptop (Win 7 PC in my case) so that I can browse internet radio channels, YouTube and iTunes for example so that I can make my selection? Does it come up directly via the HDMI on TV and I can browse via my remote and a wireless keypad - not clear?
Thanks.

Based on many reviews and with my past experience with CA Dacmagic, Planning to go for Cambridge Audio Stream magic 6 and putting up Squeezebox Touch for sale.

Any better suggestion appreciated.

pioneer streamer had some very good reviews. pls check that out.
staxxx for appletv you do not need to have the computer on to stream internet radio. optical out and hdmi out can be used audio. hdmi can also be used for video. but you need a display to be on. else you can use your iphone or ipad as remote then tv also not required.
for music I like the old version appletv. I have 1tb hdd hooked to it. and i dont need tv or comp to be switched on to listen to internet radio and my own music.

PS - formats is always a problem for local music with streamers. my oppo is not able to play apple lossless. One option is to transcode in NAS on the fly - which mybook live can't do I think. Appletv can't play flac. There are programs which can convert your entire library in one go - but then all your devices should support that format. Or you maintain two libraries. My samsung phone's default DLNA player can't play WAV!!! My Samsung TV can, though.

Last edited:
@anm..

Sorry OP for being off topic..
Can a music-pc with win 7 can be used to stream internet radio and controlled via a andriod/iphone app. I have built a music-pc with foobar2000 and control that via a andriod app. I would like to continue to use it but with the capability of having internet radio as well.

Thanks

@anm..

Sorry OP for being off topic..
Can a music-pc with win 7 can be used to stream internet radio and controlled via a andriod/iphone app. I have built a music-pc with foobar2000 and control that via a andriod app. I would like to continue to use it but with the capability of having internet radio as well.

Thanks

I think you use foobar to play your internet radio streams.

Online radio with Foobar ? - Hydrogenaudio Forums

I think, but I never tried, you can control your laptop/ desktop's itunes as well with iphone/ ipad.
I tried copying pasting some links to my itunes for radio streams - they worked (for example, radio paradise) - and also copied over to my appletv.

@anm

I was not able to configure the internet radio thru foobar. I wanted the vTuner stream over foobar but unfortunately they do not stream but instead downloads a .m3u file which can be played on windows media player but not in foobar. Even in the link you provided I think some were able to stream but some did not :sad:, so not sure how to go about using foobar for internet radio.

Thanks

Kiran how much did you pay for CA Stream Magic 6 and where did you buy it???

a pure power amp.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back