Marantz, NAD or Cambridge Audio for Elac F5

anoop497

Hello friends,

please suggest which will be the best suited amp among the following for ELAC 6ohm debut f5 with 85db sensitivity.

Cambridge Audio CX A80
Marantz PM7005
Audiolab 8200A
NAD C356BEE DAC

Thanks

Hi

The ELACs need 70watts rms of continuous power at 6 ohms load....

Depending on your budget, you can decide on which amp (based on also connectivity requirements) to use....Marantz or NAD should work....

HifiMart has got some discount Marantz deal....check and decide....audition where possible

thanks efernand1.

can anyone comment how NAD, Cambridge and Audiolab will sound with Elac? Bright or Warm?? I only got chance to audition Marantz, it was on a neutral to brighter side.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi

Marantz is much on warmer side....it depends on what sources and what kind of files are being played back.....

based on your findings with marantz, none of the amps you have shortlisted will work for you.

have you already bought the elac speakers?

thanks jayaraa.

yes i have them and presently use them for HT purpose. I was planning to setup a dedicated stereo system using the same speakers. please suggest better amps with reasons if u differ with my choice. thankyou

Last edited:
I have the ELAC uni fi series. Although it may work fine on a good quality 50w rms amplifier. It shines with higher wattage amps especially the lower frequencies. I drove it with a diy myref rev e which was designed for 8 ohm speakers which did not work well. Then I shifted to a modified Norge 1000 which gives more than 100w rms per channel which worked like a charm. Even Andrew Jones drives most of his speakers with higher wattage amps even though it is the first watt that matters the most. The lower end kick of certain genres of music need good voltage and current characteristics to give the bass kick without reaching clipping levels. One should also remember that all amp manufacturers dont write specs which can be compared to real world performance . A 40w nad may be more powerful than a 40w marantz as as example at the same distortion levels at a given frequency.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back