Marantz ND8006 or

Kairos

First of all , a huge shout-out to all contributors of this wonderful forum. I've learnt a great deal about Audio just reading your posts.

My current 2 channel setup is as follows:
  1. Transport : WiiM Mini
  2. DAC : Topping E30
  3. Int Amp : Marantz PM8006
  4. Speakers : Pioneer SP-FS52 & sometimes Polk Audio TSX550t
  5. Streaming platform : Spotify , digital collection on Synology NAS which I play from my windows laptop using Foobar 2000 to the aforementioned DAC's USB input
  6. Room size : 12 * 20

While this is good, here's what I believe would make it better!
  1. Getting a better DAC ( Gustard X16 or the Topping DL90. ( purely based on reviews.. please suggest if you have better options )​
  2. Getting a pair of speakers such as , Fine Audio F303 ( again based on reviews...please suggest if you have better options although I might not go for speaker upgrade immediately as the budget is ~ 1Lac)​
  3. Getting a all-in-one system such as the ND8006 for the following reasons:​
    1. Comes with a good quality CD player ( have a few CDs .. would love to play them on ND8006 if I decide to go for it )​
    2. Option of connecting E30 DAC to the analogue inputs of ND8006 or the PM 8006 ( as I'm doing now ) .. ND has a separation circuit at line level to filter out noise.​
    3. Option of connecting laptop to the USB B input​
    4. Natural pairing with PM8006​
    5. Comes with a built-in DAC chip ESS9016 which seems better than the one inside E30 ( correct me please )​
    6. Can still use the WiiM mini for services not available on ND8006 or sell it
    7. Better power mgt which could improve the listening experience ?​
What would you suggest and why. Thanks in advance

First of all , a huge shout-out to all contributors of this wonderful forum. I've learnt a great deal about Audio just reading your posts.

5. Streaming platform : Spotify , digital collection on Synology NAS which I play from my windows laptop using Foobar 2000 to the aforementioned DAC's USB input

1. Getting a better DAC ( Gustard X16 or the Topping DL90. ( purely based on reviews.. please suggest if you have better options )​
  2. Getting a pair of speakers such as , Fine Audio F303 ( again based on reviews...please suggest if you have better options although I might not go for speaker upgrade immediately as the budget is ~ 1Lac)​
    1. Comes with a good quality CD player ( have a few CDs .. would love to play them on ND8006 if I decide to go for it )​
    2. Option of connecting E30 DAC to the analogue inputs of ND8006 or the PM 8006 ( as I'm doing now ) .. ND has a separation circuit at line level to filter out noise.​
    5. Comes with a built-in DAC chip ESS9016 which seems better than the one inside E30 ( correct me please )​
Although the cd players from Marantz sound decent, they are very finicky with reading CD's if you are considering the ND 8006.
I am saying this as I have the cd 6006, plus you can check the reviews of other users too.

Although the cd players from Marantz sound decent, they are very finicky with reading CD's if you considering the ND 8006.
I am saying this as I have the cd 6006, plus you can check the reviews of other users too.
Thanks , will check the reviews but my initial impressions are that the CD is pretty robust.

Thanks , will check the reviews but my initial impressions are that the CD is pretty robust.
Most welcome Kairos. The players are robust and good looking no doubt. But may leave you a bit frustrated at times when they don't play some of your favourite CD's.

Most welcome Kairos. The players are robust and good looking no doubt. But may leave you a bit frustrated at times when they don't play some of your favourite CD's.
Could you please elaborate a bit on the CDs ; what was the recording format ?

What is your power supply for E30?

Could you please elaborate a bit on the CDs ; what was the recording format ?
I don't remember the recording format. To name a few the popular original ones like the Eagles " Hell Freezes Over" album, the new Johnny cash album " A hundred highways" & some recorded CD's.
Even when you skip songs quickly, sometimes the player just hangs . But when it plays, it sounds nice.

Before this I had the Pioneer PD S802 years back, which use to play most of the same CD's flawlessly.

I don't remember the recording format. To name a few the popular original ones like the Eagles " Hell Freezes Over" album, the new Johnny cash album " A hundred highways" & some recorded CD's.
Even when you skip songs quickly, sometimes the player just hangs . But when it plays, it sounds nice.

Before this I had the Pioneer PD S802 years back, which use to play most of the same CD's flawlessly.
Thanks Nitin, will keep that in mind. I used to have a Sony BD but then I started using the PS4 which is fine too.

My take would be get new speakers and LPS like allo shanti for Wiim mini, invest in Hi-res music too.

Keep the Polk
Thanks Amrut Mhatre , Noted . Now that you mentioned Hi-res music , I've recently ventured into the Apple Music eco system and getting a hang of Apple TV , Apple Music hi-res which I plan to subscribe soon if I can figure out how to play it on the system in a wired environment. any tips in this direction please ?
Also what do you think of the Fyne 303s?

Thanks Amrut Mhatre , Noted . Now that you mentioned Hi-res music , I've recently ventured into the Apple Music eco system and getting a hang of Apple TV , Apple Music hi-res which I plan to subscribe soon if I can figure out how to play it on the system in a wired environment. any tips in this direction please ?
Also what do you think of the Fyne 303s?

WiiM mini supporte Airplay, so if you are using iOS devices that can be done but not being completely hi res.
Other way is Windows has released Apple Music app which is now lossless, try it out.
Tidal is much cheaper if one subscribes to a proper plan.

Fyne 303s are good speakers, depends on your taste. Audition if possible, why not get pair of standmount speakers? Polk R200, Elac DBR62, many options around 1lakh too

it's a regular 5 amp usb connector to a UPS ( so hope it's linear enough )
No, you first upgrade your E30 power supply to low noise LPS like allo-Santhi and you will notice good improvements in your existing setup itself.

I have the marantz ND8006 and it is really good.

If you already have CD collection then this is best of both worlds in single unit. (Cd player + streaming).

Its digital out is great quality. (Spfi optical / coax)
Note. It does not do usb out. (Usb In is there)

Internal DAC like many streamers is decent and good. In future you may feel to add external DAC. (Just like with many streamers it happens)

AIrplay works fine. Spotify works fine.
Quboz not supported.

Can connect external drive / usb stick.

Can also connect Mobile to USB for direct connection.

Overall it is a great and versatile unit.

The main importance in any streamer is power quality / transformer inside it. And that is good which brings out good quality music, both from digital out and analog out.

WiiM mini supporte Airplay, so if you are using iOS devices that can be done but not being completely hi res.
Other way is Windows has released Apple Music app which is now lossless, try it out.
Tidal is much cheaper if one subscribes to a proper plan.

Fyne 303s are good speakers, depends on your taste. Audition if possible, why not get pair of standmount speakers? Polk R200, Elac DBR62, many options around 1lakh too
Thanks Amrut Mhatre for your suggestions 🙏

I have the marantz ND8006 and it is really good.

If you already have CD collection then this is best of both worlds in single unit. (Cd player + streaming).

Its digital out is great quality. (Spfi optical / coax)
Note. It does not do usb out. (Usb In is there)

Internal DAC like many streamers is decent and good. In future you may feel to add external DAC. (Just like with many streamers it happens)

AIrplay works fine. Spotify works fine.
Quboz not supported.

Can connect external drive / usb stick.

Can also connect Mobile to USB for direct connection.

Overall it is a great and versatile unit.

The main importance in any streamer is power quality / transformer inside it. And that is good which brings out good quality music, both from digital out and analog out.
Thanks Amit, I have fair enough CD collection and all that you said makes sense to me , especially the versatility factor but I’m curious on the DAC front. I’ve heard people speak highly of the ESSs and was hoping to learn more on this. Thanks

The wiim and E30 need to go if you are looking for improvement.
Since you need CD playback why not go with something like a cd player/transport and a bluesound node, later on you can opt for a external DAC as and when you feel the need without having to replace either. With the node's hdmi option you can add the TV to the mix aswell.

Thanks Amit, I have fair enough CD collection and all that you said makes sense to me , especially the versatility factor but I’m curious on the DAC front. I’ve heard people speak highly of the ESSs and was hoping to learn more on this. Thanks
Regarding the DAC inside nd8006, it is good, with typical marantz sound and brings out the nuances in mid-range, which i like.

An external dAC (a little expensive but) would be more refined i would say.

This thing applies to most streamers. Whatever streamer you buy, after some time you will feel the need to attach external dac.

Regarding the DAC inside nd8006, it is good, with typical marantz sound and brings out the nuances in mid-range, which i like.

An external dAC (a little expensive but) would be more refined i would say.

This thing applies to most streamers. Whatever streamer you buy, after some time you will feel the need to attach external dac.
Thanks again Amit, I appreciate your response and agree that external DACs will be the differential factor in the chain. Food for thought.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back