Marantz nr1508 vs yamaha rxv485

samgurung

As the title says am torn between the two. Which one should i buy? The marantz is about 6k cheaper than the yamaha. But it has less power - 50wpc vs 80wpc. However i am told that marantz have better sound for music than yamahas. Is that true? Am pairing the avr with elac b6.2 bookshelf speakers for now. Is the power of the marantz good enough for future upgrades? Another thing i came across is that the marantz have more power ya stated because of their robust construction. Would love to hear from you all to clear my confusion. Thanks!

80 watts rating is for two channels only. When driven in 5 channels it will be 40-50% of 80 watts.

The same is the case with the 50wpc with the marantz?
The power ratings specs are different for marantz nr series. For Yamaha it will be as 80 wats 2ch driven at 8ohms with 0.8 THZ but where as marantz sr series it will be different.

Go for marantz sr 5xxx atleast if you are looking for an AVR with good music capabilities.
NR series is very inferior to SR series.
(I had SR 5008 and my neighbor had NR 5xxx)
In the view of service yamaha have an edge long since.
Think and decide.
Lastly in my opinion between the two, I vote for yamaha

I'll choose Marantz over yamaha....

Points that I would consider:
  • Service centre availability
  • Music vs Movie ratio (Yamaha is good for movies imo)
  • Connectivity requirements

I can see yamaha service centres even in small cities.
Where as for marantz is available only in selected metros
You can even contact MZ audio, Mumbai who are the dealers for marantz
That's one big factor. Ill probably go with the yamaha as I have a dealer in town and service if required would be much easier

Both are good in their own way. Pick the one that fits your requirements best. Requirements for inputs, outputs, decoders, dimensions, power consumption, auto setup variant, remote control layout are some of the attributes you need to consider. Power rating should be the least of your worries. Marantz posts specs at 8ohm, 20-20k frequency range which is not the same as others which post at a single 1kh frequency. Check each ones manual for rating at full frequency range. That said, how efficient are those elacs? If not 88db or higher, to should consider a receiver with over 100w at 8ohm, 20-20k frequency.

MaSh

Both are good in their own way. Pick the one that fits your requirements best. Requirements for inputs, outputs, decoders, dimensions, power consumption, auto setup variant, remote control layout are some of the attributes you need to consider. Power rating should be the least of your worries. Marantz posts specs at 8ohm, 20-20k frequency range which is not the same as others which post at a single 1kh frequency. Check each ones manual for rating at full frequency range. That said, how efficient are those elacs? If not 88db or higher, to should consider a receiver with over 100w at 8ohm, 20-20k frequency.

MaSh
Thank you for your inputs. The elacs are 6ohm 87db. The only worry with the marantz is the lack of service center at my town or nearby

Thank you for your inputs. The elacs are 6ohm 87db. The only worry with the marantz is the lack of service center at my town or nearby
At 87db 6 ohm. Don't even look at receivers claiming under 100w. Look at marantz SR 6XXX series.

MaSh

I've auditioned Yamaha 485 with Ns-f160 towers, it was sounding great with every detail for both movie & Music, i am sure Yamaha rxv485 will be an good choice you'll not be disappointed,

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back