Marantz PM6004 Amplifier - Voltage Issue?

karan.c

Hello

I recently shifted to a new home in Goa where I am experiencing significant voltage fluctuations in the evenings. I suspect this causes my amplifier (PM6004) to go into protection mode as the standy light starts flickering / clicking. During the day, this doesn't usually happen. However, in the evenings I've noticed the voltage readings between 190-250. I reckon this be the cause?

My present setup is pretty basic: Mains > Belkin Surge Protector > Maranatz Amp + Project Turntable

Do I need to add a voltage stabiliser to the mix to ensure a steady supply of normal voltage to keep the amp running? If so, could someone recommend a reliable one under 5k if possible?

Apologies if this question has been asked before! Appreciate the communities guidance.

Hello

I recently shifted to a new home in Goa where I am experiencing significant voltage fluctuations in the evenings. I suspect this causes my amplifier (PM6004) to go into protection mode as the standy light starts flickering / clicking. During the day, this doesn't usually happen. However, in the evenings I've noticed the voltage readings between 190-250. I reckon this be the cause?

My present setup is pretty basic: Mains > Belkin Surge Protector > Maranatz Amp + Project Turntable

Do I need to add a voltage stabiliser to the mix to ensure a steady supply of normal voltage to keep the amp running? If so, could someone recommend a reliable one under 5k if possible?

Apologies if this question has been asked before! Appreciate the communities guidance.
I'll wait for more knowledgeable experts to respond.

This is my set-up in Bangalore...

Mains--------UPS (1000kva)----------Voltage Stabilizer-----------connected to Amp, TV, STB etc.

Hope this helps.

Does hifi equipment's needs to connected to stabilizer before connected to electrical socket?? I have no idea.

I'll wait for more knowledgeable experts to respond.

This is my set-up in Bangalore...

Mains--------UPS (1000kva)----------Voltage Stabilizer-----------connected to Amp, TV, STB etc.

Hope this helps.

May I ask which UPS and Stabiliser you use?

Hello

You need to add a Voltage Stabiliser for sure if you have fluctuations. Can you also use a electric tester and check if you see any feedback voltage on the amp body. If so then use a three pin connection and connect the ground wire to the body of the amp.

I faced similar issue and two of my Marantz amplifier started with similar symptoms and eventually the Power board had to be replaced.

You may not need the Voltage Stabilizer in the chain. Online/Line Interactive UPS comes with built-in Automatic Voltage Regulation.

During the day, this doesn't usually happen. However, in the evenings I've noticed the voltage readings between 190-250. I reckon this be the cause?
Is your home power connection a single phase or Three phase one?
I am experiencing something similar with my Denon AVR and had bought a servo stabiliser as well. Though not fully rectified it does tend to safeguard the device to a great extent.
Note: I have given my AVR to the service center to inspect on the random restart issue and most probably i ll get it back by this weekend.

Soundmaster 2KVA stabiliser seems to have addressed the problem! Thanks for all the input =)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back