Marantz PM6005 vs PM6004 +DAC Magic

noblejose

Hello all,

I'm in-between Marantz PM6005 and PM6004; the first one has an inbuilt DAC with optical and coax inputs. The price I'm getting for PM6004 is very attractive (its around 22K) The newer PM6005 mrp is around 44K, may get it around 40K after some discount.

I need a DAC too (Blu-ray with USB play via Coaxial, and TV via optical), so if I go with PM6004; I am thinking to get a Cambridge DAC magic, or similar one. together it may cost around 50K. The plus side is that I'll get a USB input also for DAC.

Which is the best way that you recommend??

I need to feed a pair of KEF Q300.

Thanks!
Noble

Hello all,

I'm in-between Marantz PM6005 and PM6004; the first one has an inbuilt DAC with optical and coax inputs. The price I'm getting for PM6004 is very attractive (its around 22K) The newer PM6005 mrp is around 44K, may get it around 40K after some discount.

I need a DAC too (Blu-ray with USB play via Coaxial, and TV via optical), so if I go with PM6004; I am thinking to get a Cambridge DAC magic, or similar one. together it may cost around 50K. The plus side is that I'll get a USB input also for DAC.

Which is the best way that you recommend??

I need to feed a pair of KEF Q300.

Thanks!
Noble

Hi,

I have the PM6005 and was rather happy with the sound. Till I heard the Bifrost which IMHO is vastly superior. The amp remained the same through this change.

Now I have not heard the CD 6005 but it is the same DAC (chip at any rate, no idea about the implementation) but if you have heard it (and not the PM 6005) you should have an idea of what to expect.

I have not heard the cambridge DAC magic so no observation to share, beyond saying that if I were to do it again, I would not really care about the amp and definitely not for a DAC integrated amp but get <some/ any decent> amp and a DAC that appealed to me.

I see that on other threads you are wondering if HDMI vs optical will make a difference or whether you will gain in going from a AVR to a "pure stereo" amplifier. IMVHO, no, probably not. The biggest things that made a difference to my music were DRC and the DAC.

i'd suggest trying out a DAC in your current rig, and hearing for yourself.

If the AVR amp (with all the bells and whistles, equalization and dynamic volume type things turned off) and that DAC exceeds your expectation send the amp money also the DAC way :D. (You have already taken care of your room and perfected your placement, right ? So you hear a perfect up and over with LEDR and Abida Parveen is not a "dot" source, young folks has five distinct points in the sound stage etc.)

Ultimately it comes back to the your ears in your room are the only judge type thing, again.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Try the NAD D 3020 as well which is an integrated amp with USB and digital inputs. Its available for about 40k.Personally after hearing the NAD and Marantz I went for the Rotel RA 10 and an Audioquest dragonfly but this will not give you the digital ins.

Get the 6004. 22K is a very good offer.
As for DAC, check out Fiio D03K.
It has coax/opt --> RCA.
Available in the US for $30 (amazon and bhphotovideo)
Available in India for Rs. 3500 (amazon/snapdeal)
With the money you save, buy an Asus media player (about 4-5 K) and a 2TB HDD (about 6K).
Asus puts out HDMI, Optical, and Red-White-Yellow RCA.
Plays any damn format of video and audio.

Regards,
Raghu

PM6004 with separate or stand-alone DAC will be better. So go for 6004.

KEF Q300 is quite decent speaker, good choice.

Get the 6004. 22K is a very good offer.
As for DAC, check out Fiio D03K.

No offence intended but that is hugely overrated and apart from that bears Absolutely No Comparison to the DAC in PM 6005. I have one of each by the way (my Fiio lacks a k though)

ciao
gr

PM6004 with separate or stand-alone DAC will be better. So go for 6004.

KEF Q300 is quite decent speaker, good choice.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs..

@srisaikat; appreciate your help, I've red about your review on SCHIIT GUNGNIR sometime back.. I'm looking to get some good quality DAC like that one; so don't need to try out very entry level ones and upgrade//

Since you've tried out various DACs, do you have any other suggestion? REGA/ SCHIIT BIFROST/ GUNGNIR/ ARCAM or anything else?

Thanks,
Noble

I consider the dac to be of great importance. Hence would advise you to get a better DAC. I have been considering the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. Its available for around 16k on htstore.in

IMO, I dont think a 'better' DAC is needed for a pair of bookshelves.

The DAC you mentioned "REGA/ SCHIIT BIFROST/ GUNGNIR/ ARCAM", they are all very good, just signature will be little different. You have to choose the dac based upon your taste and rest of the chain.

How can I help you by mentioning just one name? Still I think Schiit Bifrost (Uber) will be safer bet as REGA/Gungnir/ARCAM are more costly to have trial.

I am also fond of Audio-gd gear for musicality. So I will also recommend this - http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1033/NFB10.33EN.htm

Last edited:
not sure of prices in india but in usa both the arcam rdac and the peachtree audio dac are available for 300 dollars each (discounted from $500). from reviews, both are very good but the peachtree scores higher. the ifi idac is also a good one to look at. cambridge magic 100 is also good but i think the above ones will give you better value

not sure of prices in india but in usa both the arcam rdac and the peachtree audio dac are available for 300 dollars each (discounted from $500). from reviews, both are very good but the peachtree scores higher. the ifi idac is also a good one to look at. cambridge magic 100 is also good but i think the above ones will give you better value

I agree, Peachtree at this moment offering best value product, Manufacturer itself selling it on ebay (refurbished with 2 year warranty) at $249. But Arcam rDac will cost almost double.

Cool. How about a Dacmagic PLUS to start with?
Im seeing one in our salss thread for around 25k. Since this ix my first dedicated dac, i may get some time to analyze before i move up in level.

Btw:- how easy to buy n ship a dac from US? - if i go with bifrost/ Peachtree?

1. Mail ishopinternational, get quote,
2. make payment via CC
3. submit KYC docs
4. wait for 1 week
5. plug into system and play music
6. post pics on hfv
7. twiddle thumbs till next year tax filing time and try to figure out if 20% of cost + CIF has to be paid

simple !

ciao
gr

PS: I think there is some sort of restriction on used electronics, so you might want to check that

Cool. How about a Dacmagic PLUS to start with?
Im seeing one in our salss thread for around 25k. Since this ix my first dedicated dac, i may get some time to analyze before i move up in level.

No harm to start with DACMAGIC PLUS, as it is 2nd hand it will be safe investment for any future upgrade, if you do not like it, can sale it with almost same price.

I think, cost wise borderlinx will be better for buying items from US. But you have to remember one important thing, when you will buy through third party (parcel forwarding service) the ship back cost will not cover up to India (in case you need any service under warranty).

But generally those items are made under good quality control, so might not need any service at all.

Last edited:
Hey,

I was away from the forum last few weeks, you know what.. I was busy on listening to music!! I bought a used DACMAGIC PLUS from a forum member.

Connections:
Inputs
Digital 1: TV optical out (mainly for youtube 2channel video songs/ albums)
Digital 2: Blu-ray player coaxial out (using to play Audio CD, music from usb/hdd etc)
USB in :
* Laptop - USB out with ASIO settings with DACMAGIC driver; using MusicBee to play mp3, FLAC, some streaming media etc.
* Tablet - USB out using OTG adapter from my tab (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014); using TuneIn Radio, Poweramp.

Chord interconnect between DAC and Marantz PM6004, 12W bi-wiring to KEF Q300. That concludes my stereo for tremendous enjoyment!

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back