Marantz PM7003 vs 8003

miroflex

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying an integrated amp and am considering used ones. Would a PM8003 at 34k be all that better than a 7003 at 20k? Both are of a similar vintage.

How would a Denon PMA710AE stack up beside them? Thumping bass but lower watts?

I am primarily interested in playing Indian and Western classical music on LPs using an MM cartridge.

Thanks and regards.

miroflex

Right now I'm using the ones that came with my Sonodyne Uranus II system. I'll decide on the speakers based on the amp that I buy.

The listening room varies in size as I move from place to place. Right now its an L shaped room about 20 feet of the longer side of the L and about 12 feet wide on the longer side. The listening area will be on the longer side of the L.

Is there any reason for narrowing only to Marantz. Did you try any other amplifier apart from Marantz?? Both the 7003 and 8003 are good amps, but they cant give you a deep low bass and cant drive few Floorstanders. Decide your speakers and then go for the amplifier. Later when the funds are there buy the planned speakers.

regards

Hi Soundofmusic,

The Marantz PM 6003 and 7003 have got outstanding reviews in the hifi press and the 8003 slightly less enthusiatic ones. All put out high current outputs and can drive power hungry speakers.

I have also considered the 50 watts per channel Arcam A70 and Denon PMA-710AE but but am attracted by the greater power of the Marantz series.

My listening opportunities are limited in Allahabad but I am open to suggestions and willing to travel in order to listen to good equipment.

Thanks and regards.

Hi Soundofmusic,

The Marantz PM 6003 and 7003 have got outstanding reviews in the hifi press and the 8003 slightly less enthusiatic ones. All put out high current outputs and can drive power hungry speakers.

I have also considered the 50 watts per channel Arcam A70 and Denon PMA-710AE but but am attracted by the greater power of the Marantz series.

My listening opportunities are limited in Allahabad but I am open to suggestions and willing to travel in order to listen to good equipment.

Thanks and regards.

Dont get carried away with the Power ratings. A 40watts will drive better then the 150 watts amp sometimes ( many times :lol:). A 50 watts Naim will sound better then the 150 watts Yamaha or Onkyo or Denon.:lol:

Hi Soundofmusic,

Thanks and regards.

Hi don't be fooled by ''All put out high current outputs and can drive power hungry speakers. '' . I have huge floor standers 4 x 12'' drivers but the Marantz PM 7004 rated at 75w could not force my speakers. Yes the AMP sounded very clear in vocals & instruments WOW sweet. But I cant see any power that can blow the 12''. :sad:. My Vintage Technics SUV7 80w forced the sound on the 12'' drivers.
''Greater power of the Marantz series''. Sorry the Marantz is fab Amp is Audiophile quality but no way a greater power. My honest opinion it failed somehow to power my 12'' floor stander or even my friends 12'' driver 3 way system. Yes Bookshelves & Tower should not be a problem for the Marantz.
My friend did a blind purchase of Marantz PM 7004. He was very happy with the quality of the sound and same here but power was disappointed. He finally has purchased additional UPA-2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier to get power. if you looking for power then in my opinion forget Marantz series.

Is there any reason for narrowing only to Marantz. Did you try any other amplifier apart from Marantz?? Both the 7003 and 8003 are good amps, but they cant give you a deep low bass and cant drive few Floorstanders. Decide your speakers and then go for the amplifier. Later when the funds are there buy the planned speakers.

regards

I am looking at available used equipment in good condition available on this site as well as ebay's Indian site and olx.

I had also enquired about an Arcam A 70 which was for sale on this site but it seems to have gone before I could lay my hands on it.

I recently travelled out of Allahabad and heard a NAD 326 BEE amplifier connected to a NAD 555i turntable and PP3 pre-amplifier through PSB speakers (Image B6 and later Image T5). The sound was detailed and analytical but slightly laid back.

I also had the chance of listening to a Denon PMA-700AE paired wthe JBL floorstanders (model not known) and found that it delivered punchier bass and a brighter treble. As the sound source was an iPod, detailed comments on sound qualty would be unfair to this system.

Marantz came up for consideration as they have generally been well regarded for their sound quality in respect of CD players as well amplifiers.

As I will have to travel quite a distance for the Marantz 7003 as well as for the 8003 amplifiers I seek the valued advice of member who have heard or used them before doing so.

I am open to suggestions regarding used equipment of makes other than Marantz and also to pre amplifier / power amplifier combinations in the budget price range of 40 k.

Thanks and regards

Hi don't be fooled by ''All put out high current outputs and can drive power hungry speakers. '' . I have huge floor standers 4 x 12'' drivers but the Marantz PM 7004 rated at 75w could not force my speakers. Yes the AMP sounded very clear in vocals & instruments WOW sweet. But I cant see any power that can blow the 12''. :sad:. My Vintage Technics SUV7 80w forced the sound on the 12'' drivers.
''Greater power of the Marantz series''. Sorry the Marantz is fab Amp is Audiophile quality but no way a greater power. My honest opinion it failed somehow to power my 12'' floor stander or even my friends 12'' driver 3 way system. Yes Bookshelves & Tower should not be a problem for the Marantz.
My friend did a blind purchase of Marantz PM 7004. He was very happy with the quality of the sound and same here but power was disappointed. He finally has purchased additional UPA-2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier to get power. if you looking for power then in my opinion forget Marantz series.

Hi,

Your points are well taken and conceded.

I am not really looking for a high power amplifier as my listening tastes and preferences are satisfied by lower sound levels. Sound quality is a greater concern along with adequate but controlled bass.

My references to power were in the context of earlier posts by members in this regard. I was thinking of the Arcam A70, Denon PMA-700AE, the NAD 326 BEE and other amplifiers in a similar range.

Any thoughts on the PM7003 versus PM8003 in terms of sound quality, particularly of the phono pre amplifier stages in the two amps?

Thanks and regards.

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying an integrated amp and am considering used ones. Would a PM8003 at 34k be all that better than a 7003 at 20k? Both are of a similar vintage.
miroflex

If you are getting 7003 at 20K grab it without any hesitation and later think about the speakers. The present Amp 7005 is quoted 46k with bill and warranty. 7003 is nomore available and 7004 will be available till stocks end in singapore and other europeam markets. 7004 is qouted 42K with bill and warranty. 7 series amps are all of equal wattage and same sound signature and very good.

Regards

Hi Krishna,
Thanks for the clear-cut reply endorsing the sound quality and performance of the 7 series and their being good value for money.
One niggling doubt remains. Does the 8 series offer significantly better sound quality, performance or features to jusify a 14k price difference?
Regards.

Hi,

Sound quality is a greater concern along with adequate but controlled bass.

I was thinking of the Arcam A70, Denon PMA-700AE, the NAD 326 BEE and other amplifiers in a similar range.

Any thoughts on the PM7003 versus PM8003 in terms of sound quality, particularly of the phono pre amplifier stages in the two amps?

Thanks and regards.

Hi
I think after reading the above Marantz seems to be a right choice for you. Quality is excellent bass is low but nice and mellow not forceful. As mentioned by S.P.KRISHNA the 7003 is replaced with the 7004. I have played live music and to be honest the Marantz is close to what live sound is provided you have the correct speakers. I found the Phono stage of the Marantz better in ouput compared to Nad PP2 which I am currently using. Both Quality FANTASTIC.
Nad is warmer.

My personal choice is not Maranz because I like lots of bass as I used to play bass years back. Thats the reason NAD is close to what I prefer. :eek:
Nad is sweet.

Denon PMA-700AE is not the right choice for you as they have enhanced the punch its not natural.

PM7003 versus PM8003 difficult to say not heard. But I can tell you both should be equally good. Maybe here and there. Thats all.
Best Regards

Hi
I think after reading the above Marantz seems to be a right choice for you. Quality is excellent bass is low but nice and mellow not forceful. As mentioned by S.P.KRISHNA the 7003 is replaced with the 7004. I have played live music and to be honest the Marantz is close to what live sound is provided you have the correct speakers. I found the Phono stage of the Marantz better in ouput compared to Nad PP2 which I am currently using. Both Quality FANTASTIC.
Nad is warmer.

My personal choice is not Maranz because I like lots of bass as I used to play bass years back. Thats the reason NAD is close to what I prefer. :eek:
Nad is sweet.

Denon PMA-700AE is not the right choice for you as they have enhanced the punch its not natural.

PM7003 versus PM8003 difficult to say not heard. But I can tell you both should be equally good. Maybe here and there. Thats all.
Best Regards

Hi,

Thanks for a very balanced review of the merits and demerits of the amps I had recently heard. I also thought the bright treble and punchy bass of the Denon PMA-700AE sounded unnatural and forced but attributed these qualities to the source, an iPod.

Your point that the 8003 may not be all that much of an improvement over the 7003 is also well taken and significant to my way of thinking.

Which speakers would match the qualities of the PM7003? Floor standers pl.

We don't have much of a choice in India unless one takes the import route. But auditioning the chosen or shortlisted equipment is the real problem.

Thanks and regards.

Hi Miroflex,

Try to audion with MS Aviano-6 FS, Marantz matches very well with Mordaunt Short.

N.Murali

Hi,

Which speakers would match the qualities of the PM7003? Floor standers pl.

Thanks and regards.

Hi
I have heard the PSB, Paradigm and Jamo all towers. I quite like all of them and they are available in India.
NAD 356 with PSB & KEF
Denon PMA-700AE with the Paradigm
and Marantz with Jamo

All performed well better than bookshelves. Nice tight bass. Smooth vocal and highs. Well give it a shot. Unfortunately didn't try the Marantz on the other Speakers :sad:

Also would like to point out that I heard years back a JBL Studio speakers and man till today I remember them. You can try JBL. JBL speakers are used for Live, Studio and also home they are High quality speaker.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back