Marantz PM7004 vs PM6004 for KEFQ300

aloy

Hi audiophiles :)

I'm planning to buy marantz PM7004 or PM6004 for my brand new KEFQ300. Read positive reviews on PM6004, known to be a good pairing amp for the KEF bookshelves :) Not a single review on PM7004 to be found online but I did read about a few folks owning PM7004 and pairing with bookshelves and FS with good results or so they say.

Is one better over the other? I'm expecting PM7004 to be a cut above its sibling, if not alot better but at least marginally better and not the other way around. I've seen the specs, features on their website and knowing that specs ain't everything would be good to hear from some of you about difference in performance, what makes one better than the other, etc. any info you can share about PM6004 vs 7004. I'll be going to audition the amps anyway but i'd like to hear from you guys too. Thanks!

Last edited:
PM7004 is far better than the PM6004. Would make sense to go for the 7004, who knows in future you may change your speakers & then @ that time, the 7004 will surely come in handy. Take a demo of both with your speakers & you will realise what i'm saying.

Singapore is a haven for audiohiles. Enjoy

:)

If you have any plans for buying Floorstanders in future, then buying 7004 wd be a good decision, otherwise for BS like KEF Q300 Pm6004 wd be sufficient....

Thanks guys! I'll check them out, shld be making the purchase soon. The reason i'm thinking of 7004 more so cause of higher wattage, 70 watts per channel vs the 45 with 6004, sub pre-out n tri-tone controls when required to compensate for mids in addition to bass n treble though i think source direct can sound better by bypassing this....if the 6004 is great for KEF i was thinkin it shld be even more easy for the 7004 to drive the KEF and at the same time it'll be somewhat future proof, in case i decide to add a sub or upgrade the speakers at a later point :cool:

I'm just baffled as to why this amp doesn't have any reviews, wanted to know from the experts in what areas this betters the 6004, how it compares, etc. I did check this amp earlier with JBL FS, paradigm studio 20, studio 60 surprisingly didn't find the studio 20 sound anywhere close to impressive even the mini monitors did a lil better than the 20s, but the JBL FS sounded really nice no wonder they had the 7004 paired with it all the time, don't remember the model though :p the studio 60 were good though, the soundstage, imaging, lows, mids, etc, was like wow :p I guess FS are a diff league altogether.

Last edited:
PM7004 is far better than the PM6004. Would make sense to go for the 7004, who knows in future you may change your speakers & then @ that time, the 7004 will surely come in handy. Take a demo of both with your speakers & you will realise what i'm saying.

Singapore is a haven for audiohiles. Enjoy

:)

Denom - Is there any way to get the amps shipped from SGP? Any good souls who can carry this from SGP? :)

Hi

requesting suggestions for 2 channel AMP for my month Old Wharfedale 9.1 BS
I want inputs for Marantz PM6004 with 9.1s

Boyireddy

Hello,

I also have PM7004 paired with KEF IQ50. The amp is far powerful for the speakers like iq50 but it is great pair. i happy with the output.

pls go for pm 7004.

Njoy Music.

Amit

about all that power...

Yesterday I did some measures:CD Dark Side otm - absolutely high volumes (there were no neighbors!) with 15 o'clock knob :eek: ,(the max is 17 hours) in the peaks had (average) : Vmax = 14 V/ch and Imax = 1.7 A, for a maximum power of almost 25 pot W/ch; I generally listen to 9:30 hours max, with wife who coming asking me for lower volumes....:annoyed:
I've to say that, while the Quad 34 + 306 that I owned before, with the same B&W boxes, and at a little lower volume, was going in protection (I had to unlock it using the back button) and also warmed up a bit on the smart front radiator, the Marantz instead was almost cold and never gone + in protection.
The Quad was also sounding a little harsh and with harder highs, at these levels, while the Pm 6004 has retained a good liquidity on the highs, which were still confortable...;
Anyway in everydays normal cd listening, at 9:30, I get only 1 W/ch max on peaks!
Just a few thoughts.

Attachments

• quad2.jpg
    quad2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 440
  • PM6004 in.jpg
    PM6004 in.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Quick update....better late then never :)

Bought Marantz PM7004, CD6004 for the KEF Q300 BS on Acatama nexus 5 stands (not using spikes as of now, no blu/white tac, etc). Using Chord CrimsonPlus interconnect cable and carnival silverscreen (copper) speaker cables.

Here's what I think of the setup,
KEF Q300 are bright speakers the clarity and detailing, etc. is sweet (that's why the copper speaker cables and that's why marantz so they don't sound overly bright). Mids are great, treble and bass is quite good, tight and clean bass lines just that you won't get chest thumping bass, that big punching bass isn't there, which would actually make this setup too too too good (at least for me cause i love that punch/thump in the bass drum and bass guitar) but the overall sound quality is just so good that this one thing can be forgiven. Can't expect chest thumping bass from 6.5" mid/bass drivers I guess.
But the Q300 clarity, detail, soundstage and imaging is like wow for their size specially in a room with more space for them to breathe. They really start to shine when the volume is turned up (haven't got to bump up the volume beyond 10 - 11 o clock position yet cause of fear of neighbours complaining)

I realised having a good source is so very important after switching from using a panasonic and enzer DVD player to Marantz CD6004.The difference in sound quality was just so amazing, so obvious. Was like wow, amazing clarity and detailing, sound so clear and sharp. I play music off CDs (including CDs burned using music purchased from itunes, etc.) and from a USB thumb drive connected to the cdp. All of the tracks are either 192kbps, 256kbps & 320kbps, AAC, MP3, WMA formats. Listen to music like 2pac, eminem, metallica, nirvana, dire straits, eric clapton, phil collins, third world, bob marley, MJ, 80s pop music/classics, etc.

The PM7004 seems to be a powerhouse, appears to effortlessly drive the KEFs maybe the 45wpc for the PM6004 and 70wpc for the 7004 makes the difference, i really don't know. Not that the 6004 isn't great, it's def good, just that the 7004 seemed to be better at it, not by a big margin maybe but noticeably better. Just thought I'd share some of my feedback on this setup, maybe will be of help to someone somewhere.

Last edited:
Hi Aloy,

Congratulations for your purchase. It is very good selection and you can upgrade to floor standers in future as and when you feel wit without changing the amp.

You bought the kef Q300 from Singapore or elsewhere? Please share the price of KEF Q300 and the details of the dealer from where you purchased KEF Q300.

Regards, Amit

Thanks Amit :) bought the KEF BS from s'pore for use in s'pore, got it for 950SGD from the KEF store at Adelphi mall at City hall. Is probably cheaper in India, translates to 38-39k INR at the time of purchase. Just curious, why is it that there's no reviews online on marantz PM7004? is like none of the reviewers want to acknowledge it's existence.

Last edited:
Thanks Amit :) bought the KEF BS from s'pore for use in s'pore, got it for 950SGD from the KEF store at Adelphi mall at City hall. Is probably cheaper in India, translates to 38-39k INR at the time of purchase. Just curious, why is it that there's no reviews online on marantz PM7004? is like none of the reviewers want to acknowledge it's existence.

Not sure why there are no reviews. Sometime i feel the review from reputed magazines may be a marketing gimmick and by pushing one model of the same series they may be able to push other models. just my intuition, not very sure of this.

KEF Q300 seems to be very reasonably priced in india viz a viz price in singapore. i thought if it is cheaper there then i could try getting from there.

Hi GCE, thanks for the link, saw it now, rarely visit the forum, assuming that the review applies to pm7004 as well since the pm7004 is based on the outgoing model pm7003

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back