Marantz SR 6011 first impressions.

hi-fi-enthusiast

Hi All,

Finally I received the Marantz SR 6011 AVR, posting my initial response after 2 days of listening.

My main reason for upgrade is to support new formats like ATMOS / DTSX ..etc

Previously I was using SR 6007 which is a really good amp I believe, but 6011 blew me off especially with music performance.

Setup is really simple, unit power on, starts with on screen instructions to connect speaker terminals, Video setup and of course the Audessy calibration (which is really good I felt). Connected amp to my speakers, Polk RTIA7 fronts, RTI A3 surronds & Energy RC LCR center channel.

Once the setup is done,
I played the Bailando's music video (HDMI ARC to my projector, played from Samsung bdp). Immediately even my wife can tell the difference how warm and precise the sound is with 6011 compared to 6007:yahoo:.

I couldn't test more on the first day, it was already midnight, so I slept.

Next day, I power on the unit, got notification for firmware upgrade to DTSX & dolby surround support, I was little bit hesitant to perform upgrade (didn't want to brick the box without even listening for an hour) but anyway took the chance and upgraded.
Upgrade took 40mins and unit rebooted, then started testing the performance.

Then started playing music, Hotel california never sounded better (even better than the auditioning HT showrooms), the detail is so clear and sound is really warm and marantz signature quality.

I can't be happy anymore, this is the best upgrade possible I felt after listening to few tracks.

Didn't get time to listen more music/movies, but I am already confident that this will exceed my expectations.

Congrats on a fine AVR :clapping: Would appreciate if you can provide more details on your speaker set-up, crossover settings on your AVR..

Hi

Congrats on the upgraded AVR.....Indeed Marantz is a Marantz and with Polk RTi series....you cant go wrong....

Enjoy......

HDMI ARC to projector? I believe you connected BDP to the AVR right? Why not play on the AVR itself?

Congratulations,
Do let us know more about the settings and comparison with SR6007.
Were settings in both AVR set alike? say pure direct?
SR-6011 say high current amplification and can drive 4 ohm speakers well.
So would like to know more.

hi, congrats. even i am thinking to upgrade to 6011 in some time.... so when are you going to install your ceiling speakers ;)

Congrats on a fine AVR :clapping: Would appreciate if you can provide more details on your speaker set-up, crossover settings on your AVR..

Hi elangoas,

I haven't spend much time on my setup due to festive season.
Currently the RTI A7 are used as fronts with bi-amp mode.

I don't have sub, but I set up crossover frequency to 120 (supported by rti A7 i believe) although Audessy set it to 250 after calibration.

Do you think this setting is fine ? any suggestions are welcome.

Hi elangoas,

I haven't spend much time on my setup due to festive season.
Currently the RTI A7 are used as fronts with bi-amp mode.

Not a problem.. Ok. Great.

I don't have sub, but I set up crossover frequency to 120 (supported by rti A7 i believe) although Audessy set it to 250 after calibration.

Do you think this setting is fine ? any suggestions are welcome.

Since you don't have a sub, your fronts would be automatically treated as Large, you can set the x-over for surrounds & center to 80Hz.. Strange Audyssey set it to 250..

RTi A7 should be able to handle the bass comfortably..

Not a problem.. Ok. Great.

Since you don't have a sub, your fronts would be automatically treated as Large, you can set the x-over for surrounds & center to 80Hz.. Strange Audyssey set it to 250..

RTi A7 should be able to handle the bass comfortably..

Yes, the RTi A7 are giving more than decent bass after upgrade,
I am not sure how to set center to 80Hz. can you guide ? may be the setting name.

Yes, the RTi A7 are giving more than decent bass after upgrade,
I am not sure how to set center to 80Hz. can you guide ? may be the setting name.

go to speakers -> manual set up -> go to speaker configuration, there you can change "small" to "large" vice versa. go to cross over , there you can change the crossover

Hi

I Think the setting for now is fine...all depends on what is bliss for your ears...everyone has different tastes....

Once the sub comes.....you may need to do some changes....

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back