marantz sr5006 can i do a bi amping to my heco speakers

Yes.. it is possible... If your speakers have Bi-amp termials, you need to remove the clip (or) Jumper between the termials first....

Connect the Left & Right output of the AVR to the LF of the towers....

Connect the Surround back left & right channel output of the AVR to the HF terminals of the towers....

But before that you need to change the speaker setting in your AVR as Bi-amp....

I have done this on my Onkyo TX NR 818 AVR and been using it for close to 7 months time...

Yes.. it is possible... If your speakers have Bi-amp termials, you need to remove the clip (or) Jumper between the termials first....

Connect the Left & Right output of the AVR to the LF of the towers....

Connect the Surround back left & right channel output of the AVR to the HF terminals of the towers....

But before that you need to change the speaker setting in your AVR as Bi-amp....

I have done this on my Onkyo TX NR 818 AVR and been using it for close to 7 months time...

Hi elangoas
Nice to see that you have done some experimentation with bi-amping. So can you share some more details on the overall improvement in SQ with bi-amping ? I have seen some dismissing the importance of bi-amping (i.e passive bi-amping) and I also read some reviews of some AV receivers which were claimed to perform better with bi-amping. You have been with bi-amping for 7 months and it means you must have seen a better performance. Please throw some more light on your experiment.

Last edited:
Hi elangoas
Nice to see that you have done some experimentation with bi-amping. So can you share some more details on the overall improvement in SQ with bi-amping ? I have seen some dismissing the importance of bi-amping (i.e passive bi-amping) and I also read some reviews of some AV receivers which were claimed to perform better with bi-amping. You have been with bi-amping for 7 months and it means you must have seen a better performance. Please throw some more light on your experiment.

Hi Shanmune,

I have used the same speakers with two different Onkyo AVR's... One of them was Onkyo HTR series which was not Bi-amp capable (Very Old AVR) Pre HDMI Era :eek:hyeah: & my new one Onkyo TX NR 818....

Even in my new AVR i had used without Bi-amping the same speakers....

The difference is not much but the overall feel is really good....

I think the AVR has much better control of the speaker when bi-amped...

4 Amplifiers driving the same drivers instead of 2 amplifiers, i think have more control on the speaker driver....

Moreover this improvement could be because the AVR runs on dual differential DAC mode which i believe is using two sets of DAC for HF & LF seperately....

Even I heard mixed opinion about biamping, some people say, not much improvement and some say good improvement. I also tried passive biamping but I feel there is no significant improvement with my old Onkyo 609. I read in internet though there is more power the crossover remains the same and there wont be much change.

I think we need to do some measurement (objective instead of subjective) with and with out biamping at same settings to check. I mean an A to B comparison.

Can some experts give there opinion on whether passive biamping will help in improving the performance or not?

Thanks,
Renjith

I am not an expert... But would like to share my experience with passive Bi-amping...

I have done passive Bi-amping for Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS in few types..

First one was Marantz AVR + Stereo power amplifier with FS & one with AVR (Onkyo TX NR 818) + FS ...

Both of them equally good in performance... When a stereo power amplifier was used, the bass output from the FS was solid....

With Onkyo Bi-amping the AVR (Using the Surround back channel) it is equally good....

Now the Q - does passive Bi-amping make difference ? Yes. It does according to my above experiment.... Difference is not night & day... But perceivable... You can easily feel it...

Thanks Elangos. Even I did with AVRs surround but I didnt see a big difference.
Probably I might have not checked the difference immediately, with and without biamping.I will do it once more and check with an A to B comparison.

Can you tell me how you did biamping using AVR and stereo power amplifier?

Thanks
Renjith

Thanks Elangos. Even I did with AVRs surround but I didnt see a big difference.
Probably I might have not checked the difference immediately, with and without biamping.I will do it once more and check with an A to B comparison.

Can you tell me how you did biamping using AVR and stereo power amplifier?

Thanks
Renjith

Hi Renjith,

Which AVR did you use for bimaping your speakers ? Could you please tell how did you do the bi-amping with your FS....

For doing bi-amping with AVR + stereo amplifier, your AVR should have Pre-outs for L & R channels..... Connect the AVR's preout L & R channels to stereo power amplifiers L & R in.....Once you have connected, connected the LF driver of the Floor standers to it....

Connect the HF of the towers to the AVR's L & R output directly....

Hope i am clear....Let me know if wasn't clear anywhere...

You have been with bi-amping for 7 months and it means you must have seen a better performance. Please throw some more light on your experiment.
13.gif

Hi Elangos,

I have NAD T757 and it has preout.
You are using stereo amp as a power amp.I got your point.
Thanks.

Regards,
Renjith

Hi Renjith,

Which AVR did you use for bimaping your speakers ? Could you please tell how did you do the bi-amping with your FS....

For doing bi-amping with AVR + stereo amplifier, your AVR should have Pre-outs for L & R channels..... Connect the AVR's preout L & R channels to stereo power amplifiers L & R in.....Once you have connected, connected the LF driver of the Floor standers to it....

Connect the HF of the towers to the AVR's L & R output directly....

Hope i am clear....Let me know if wasn't clear anywhere...

Hi Elangos,

I have NAD T757 and it has preout.
You are using stereo amp as a power amp.I got your point.
Thanks.

Regards,
Renjith

Cool Renjith...You can also use a stereo amp as power amp, if they have the provision of removing the jumper... I was using Sonodyne Stereo Power amplifier SPA 202 when i checked....

Back