Marrantz PM5005 or PM6006 for WF Diamond 10.2?

Ebenezer

Hello, I am currently using Yamaha As500 with wharfedale 10.2 bookshelf speakers. My source is Allo Boss 1.2 player. I would like to change the amplifier. I would like to change to some other brand like Marrantz. I am happy with AS500's details, but I read a lot that marrantz is more balanced. I am not looking for DAC in amp. I am happy with Boss 1.2. Let me know the difference between Marrantz PM5005 and PM6006 other than 5 Watts additional power and DAC. Would PM5005 sound good with Wharfedale 10.2 speakers? My purpose is only casual listening. I have a different setup for my critical listening. Thanks for your suggestions

Hello, I am currently using Yamaha As500 with wharfedale 10.2 bookshelf speakers. My source is Allo Boss 1.2 player. I would like to change the amplifier. I would like to change to some other brand like Marrantz. I am happy with AS500's details, but I read a lot that marrantz is more balanced. I am not looking for DAC in amp. I am happy with Boss 1.2. Let me know the difference between Marrantz PM5005 and PM6006 other than 5 Watts additional power and DAC. Would PM5005 sound good with Wharfedale 10.2 speakers? My purpose is only casual listening. I have a different setup for my critical listening. Thanks for your suggestions
Since you already have a DAC, PM5005 makes perfect sense.
The 5 watts difference is no difference at all.
Marantz IAs have a mid/vocal bump; please keep this in mind.
Cheers,
Raghu

I have used previously AS500 and PM6006. I like AS500 and If you are satisfied with AS500 don't think about Marantz.

I have used previously AS500 and PM6006. I like AS500 and If you are satisfied with AS500 don't think about Marantz.
I too agree with this. I am presently using the AS 500 and it is very good. If you are happy with its details then there is no need to change.
Also the AS 500 has a separate 4 ohm setting which is not there in the Marantz. This will be helpful if you do change speakers later.
Cheers

The Yamaha gets my vote. I had a 6005 paired with zensor 3 long back. Didn't like it at all. Seemed very underpowered. The Yamaha are musical. I have heard their top of the line AS series and they are fantastic.

On another note, what do u mean u have another setup for critical listening? Would u elaborate on that? On that setup what do u listen to? Or does critical listening mean u r finding faults with the musician or your own system?

Thanks for all your responses. I have a home studio setup where I record / mix music (note I am not a professional, it is just my hobby) for which I use JBL LSR305 active monitor and Focusrite 2i4 sound interface which is more transparent / uncoloured. Yamaha As500 is also close to neutral which might be bit bright while playing some recordings. I am used to slightly brighter side of neutral especially for details. My wife finds it bit harsh. I am hearing lot of good reviews about Marrantz amp. Is there any place in chennai where I can audition Marrantz PM series amp? Thanks

Last edited:
BTW, I mostly listen to classical, pop, acoustic style of music. Not into rock, metal. Quite a few people said there is a mid frequency bump in Marrantz. Any idea around what frequency this increase? If it is a low mid around 500-600 Hz or bit higher than that? I do like mid frequency if it is around 2kHz as it improves the Quality of vocals. I have so far used only Yamaha As500 and haven't heard any other brand / model.

Last edited:
Quite a few people said there is a mid frequency bump in Marrantz. Any idea around what frequency this increase? If it is a low mid around 500-600 Hz or bit higher than that? I do like mid frequency if it is around 2kHz as it improves the Quality of vocals. I have so far used only Yamaha As500 and haven't heard any other brand / model.

Use the tone control knobs of your Yamaha to boost the midrange a bit (to your taste). A little twist of the knob usually goes a long way. Think of it as EQ-ing in your DAW.

Thanks for all your responses. I have a home studio setup where I record / mix music (note I am not a professional, it is just my hobby) for which I use JBL LSR305 active monitor and Focusrite 2i4 sound interface which is more transparent / uncoloured. Yamaha As500 is also close to neutral which might be bit bright while playing some recordings. I am used to slightly brighter side of neutral especially for details. My wife finds it bit harsh. I am hearing lot of good reviews about Marrantz amp. Is there any place in chennai where I can audition Marrantz PM series amp? Thanks
AS500 has Bass, Treble and Loudness controls. Give them a spin before giving up on your amp.
If you feel you want a change in sound signature, ping on the Marantz Owners thread.
Someone in Chennai may oblige to lend their PM series amp for a pairing with your speakers.
Cheers,
Raghu

Use the tone control knobs of your Yamaha to boost the midrange a bit (to your taste). A little twist of the knob usually goes a long way. Think of it as EQ-ing in your DAW.

Sure, will try that. I normally engage "Pure" button that bypass all the other controls. Let me try EQ ING. Thanks for your suggestion

AS500 has Bass, Treble and Loudness controls. Give them a spin before giving up on your amp.
If you feel you want a change in sound signature, ping on the Marantz Owners thread.
Someone in Chennai may oblige to lend their PM series amp for a pairing with your speakers.
Cheers,
Raghu

That is great, I will write in Marrantz owners thread. It will be a good idea to hear how WF 10.2 sounds with Marrantz amp

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back