Marten Bird 2 speakers...

shaizada

After a lengthy decision making process with the wife, I have bought the Marten Design Bird 2 speakers. I am very excited and just wanted to share that excitement with you guys.

I've been listening to a full EAR 890 / Marten Bird 1 setup for a long time (through local Audio Society members) and lusting after this sound. I have gone to numerous audio shows, listening to numerous systems in homes and at dealers and finally, I feel I am at peace with my decision. Picked the gloss piano cherry finish.

This is a long term speaker commitment (10 to 15 years) so I was evaluating very carefully and didn't want into rush into anything. Well, the opportunity presented itself and I'm going for it. Upstream components are all EAR (EAR 890 Amplifier, EAR 868 Preamplier, EAR 324 Phonostage, EAR DACute).

With a huge dent in the wallet and a mile wide smile, I have made this move. Thanks for reading folks! Speakers will most likely arrive this coming weekend.

Marten - Heritage Bird 2

bird%20666.jpg

Wow.. Awesome
Any reasons for the all EAR setup to go with it ? Is it a strong synergy ?

Hey guys...yes, EAR and Marten Design speakers are just a stunningly synergistic match. The transparency of Marten Speakers with the EAR sound just lets the music come out completely unhindered. The sound is unfettered and transportive to the musical event.

What surprised me is the absolute chameleon like quality of this kind of system (I had been auditioning this type of system for quite a while). It sounds like the source material. It's hard to explain, but basically, the system is a sonic representation of water.

Just talked to the dealer. Speakers arriving at Saturday at 1pm. The countdown begins...

great to hear this...expecting a detailed review of how it sounds with lots of pics :clapping:
My only experience with martens have been with Staxxx's system and they have a subtle but definite Wow factor

Last edited:
Hmm, they look like Accuton drivers. I'm sure they sound divine too.

IIRC, you had Omega Single Driver Bass Reflex speakers before (Saw a pic of your setup somewhere) So this would be a paradigm shift with regard to sound reproduction in your setup.

I'd appreciate if you could share your experiences and your thought process that went into taking the decision.

Hey guys...yes, EAR and Marten Design speakers are just a stunningly synergistic match. The transparency of Marten Speakers with the EAR sound just lets the music come out completely unhindered. The sound is unfettered and transportive to the musical event.

What surprised me is the absolute chameleon like quality of this kind of system (I had been auditioning this type of system for quite a while). It sounds like the source material. It's hard to explain, but basically, the system is a sonic representation of water.

Just talked to the dealer. Speakers arriving at Saturday at 1pm. The countdown begins...

Congratulations !

Good Call.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Just 1 small thing I needed to understand;
Why Bird 1 ?
Bird 2 is being produced - so why take the 'older' model ?
Marten - Heritage Bird 2
The 1 had the Jantzen Tweeter & the 2 has the T & P Accuton 19mm Diamond in it.
The Jantzen is not being produced any more - what if there is a support issue ?
Sorr, I do not want to sound like a 'wet blanket' but was keen to understand why ?
Enjoy your new acquisition;;;:clapping:

Hmm, they look like Accuton drivers. I'm sure they sound divine too.

IIRC, you had Omega Single Driver Bass Reflex speakers before (Saw a pic of your setup somewhere) So this would be a paradigm shift with regard to sound reproduction in your setup.

I'd appreciate if you could share your experiences and your thought process that went into taking the decision.

I still love the Omega speakers and am definitely keeping them. Will likely get an Almarro 318 or Leben amplifier for them and keep them for a second setup. One of the main reasons I went with the Marten Bird 2 (Yes, they are all Accuton drivers, 3/4 inch Diamond Tweeter, 7 inch Ceramic Midrange, Two 9 inch ceramic woofers) is my rising interest in music with very large dynamics. i.e. classical. The omega's just can't do large scale classical as the woofers start getting confused with too much going on. Basically, I just want to expand my musical selection and reproduce it properly.

For Jazz, vocals and less dynamically demanding music, the Omega's are SUBLIME! Single driver, crossover-less speakers have a magic that multi-way speakers just can't do. So everything has it's place :)

Also, EAR electronics plus Marten speakers have a stupendous synergy that can't be denied. That captivated me and I worked towards procuring them.

Congratulations !

Good Call.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Just 1 small thing I needed to understand;
Why Bird 1 ?
Bird 2 is being produced - so why take the 'older' model ?
Marten - Heritage Bird 2
The 1 had the Jantzen Tweeter & the 2 has the T & P Accuton 19mm Diamond in it.
The Jantzen is not being produced any more - what if there is a support issue ?
Sorr, I do not want to sound like a 'wet blanket' but was keen to understand why ?
Enjoy your new acquisition;;;:clapping:

Hi! I didn't buy Bird 1. I bought the Bird 2's. I've only been listening to a full Bird 1 + all EAR electronics for a few years now in a friends system (Bob Levi from positive feedback) and I just haven't heard better yet for the price. I bought the Bird 2 without ever listening to them as mine are currently the ONLY pair in all of the USA at this time. I bought mine directly from the US distributor so with full warranty and support.

I think from his first post he used to listen to Bird 1 but actually booked the Bird 2 speakers which is the latest model.

One of the main reasons I went with the Marten Bird 2 (Yes, they are all Accuton drivers, 3/4 inch Diamond Tweeter, 7 inch Ceramic Midrange, Two 9 inch ceramic woofers) is my rising interest in music with very large dynamics. i.e. classical. The omega's just can't do large scale classical as the woofers start getting confused with too much going on. Basically, I just want to expand my musical selection and reproduce it properly.

For Jazz, vocals and less dynamically demanding music, the Omega's are SUBLIME! Single driver, crossover-less speakers have a magic that multi-way speakers just can't do. So everything has it's place

You are spoton with your assessment. Yes I've realised that there are no speakers that can do everything right (within an affordable USD 2000 range) Wide banders, ESLs Multi drivers with different cone materials; each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Your post has buttressed my understanding about the strengths & weaknesses of single drivers in general & Omegas in particular.

Sorry;
I stand corrected;
Bird 2 is what you have got.
I saw the pic of the Bird 1 & for some reason was under the impression that Bird 1 was ordered.
If it is Bird 2 - even better. No more Janzten Tweeter - You get the 'real' diamond tweeter here....
Lief is a great designer & I have known him from 2002 [when I was there for his Coltrane 1 launch] - good human he is - very kind and understanding.
There is a Coltrane 2 in Mumbai too.

Last edited:
Congrats Gaurav on acquiring your new girl friend - Birdie :)

--
helium
HiFi I= Asus Xonar STX + Luxman M-06a + Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary LE
HiFi II= Sansui Au-317 + Vintage B&W DM4

Sorry;
I stand corrected;
Bird 2 is what you have got.
I saw the pic of the Bird 1 & for some reason was under the impression that Bird 1 was ordered.
If it is Bird 2 - even better. No more Janzten Tweeter - You get the 'real' diamond tweeter here....
Lief is a great designer & I have known him from 2002 [when I was there for his Coltrane 1 launch] - good human he is - very kind and understanding.
There is a Coltrane 2 in Mumbai too.

I've heard nothing but praise for Leif. More importantly, after listening to many of his speakers, he clearly has excellent listening taste. It's not easy to do all Accuton drivers in a speaker as you can lose control of the sound and go into brightness land :)

The Coltrane 2 are absolutely awesome but command a matching listening room in size. Too small a room and the bass overloads the room modes. But finally with the Coltrane 2, they get the updated drivers that the Bird 2 uses as well. The Coltrane 1 uses the older midrange and older Diamond Tweeter that extends to 40 Khz. The new diamond tweeter goes to 100 Khz. We can't hear up to that range as human hearing cuts off at 20Khz, but there are harmonics in the upper range that play into the audible range hence affecting the audible range. The sense of openness is huge.

Another long time friend of mine is going to be purchasing the Coltrane Memento's around March. Also I am finally going to hear a full Coltrane Supreme setup very soon in a persons home here locally. Very excited about that, especially the Memento as I can hear that setup anytime I want. He is a good friend!

Some pics of me with the 'old' Momento' when it was 'launched' in 2009.
The speaker has changed since then.
I have not heard the 'new' one as yet - when you do - please post some reactions & pics;
Shall Appreciate.
All the best !
Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Uploaded with ImageShack.com
This was a 'special' evening of The Lars with the Momento..

Bhagwan, what did you think of the Lars + Momento combination? Was it all cabled with Jorma?
Regards

This may not be a 'politically' correct thing to do, but I will cross that line;

a]
Momento was being 'debuted' with AML
Was sounding 'crap'

b]
One evening after 'show' hours.
The Lars was arranged to get from MOC to Hi Fi Deluxe - this is where the Momento was.

c]
All Cables were Jorma Prime

d]
It sounded 'sensational'
One of the Best I have ever heard any Marten play....

Top 5 sounds I ever heard !
;)

Updates with some pictures!!

The setup before:

10241304245_1790cffefa_b.jpg

My 20 month daughter old busting out the Air Guitar in the listening chair earlier in the day before the speakers arrived.

10241303835_f2243f0687_b.jpg

Hmmmmm, how does this go in again?

10241305575_226ba186f4_b.jpg

You handsome devil you!

10241304905_f9975bcae2_b.jpg

Initial positioning

10241204154_579c380fca_b.jpg

Dan Meinwald seems PRETTY happy! Thanks Dan...you are such a gentleman.

10241204764_e386522140_b.jpg

From the listening seat...just soaking it all in. It's a huge change in the system...just need to get my head wrapped around what just happened here. Looking forward to breaking in the speakers.

10241307205_38653135bd_b.jpg

Wow they look great!! I see the Steins behind doing their duty and are those Jorma Primes on the floor in the first pic !?!?!?

...and Dan looks might pleased. Did you get the Paravacini amps?

:)

WOW! Congratulations!

I haven't had the good fortune of hearing a Marten play (so far). I am sure it plays at a very high level. Hopefully these will stay with you next 10-15 years as planned. Congrats!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back