Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL

navin advani

Dear All,

My wife and I heard a pair of Martin Logan Electro Motion ESLs at a shop in Adelphi in Singapore last summer (summer 2011).

Now that we are in the market for speakers (there is another thread on this forum on that) we wonder if we should even consider ML-ESLs.

Our fear is that since we live close to sea and in a dusty enviroment (aka Mumbai) would the ESLs last?

Most ESLs are terrible suseptible to dust and humidity and Mumbai has gobs of both. I have woned ESLs in NYC and they worked fine there but out here (far away from any proper service) I wonder.

Any opinions?

Hi Navin,
If you have to have electrostatics in India, Cadence is a good bet as their new electrostatic panels have been refined to a level where it no longer needs humidity controls (in a humid place like Mumbai). Mine has the new panel since Feb this year, and it sailed through the last monsoon without any problem even on the rainiest days with the windows open. The older panel was not playable during monsoons as humidity accumulates in the panel rendering it mostly useless. Of course your mileage may vary if you live very close to the seashore where humidity levels should be always higher compared to more inland areas.

Dust remains an enemy but that's easier to control.

Caveat: all Cadences are hybrids (of electrostatic panel and conventional electrodynamic drivers), and not pure electrostat like Quads. But then so are MLs with their low slung woofers reinforcing the LF. ML owners in Mumbai will be able to give feedback on whether they need proper humidity and dust control.

Hi! Navin,
I am a dealer for ML in Bangalore. I have been selling ML's for quite some time and many years back they indeed had a few issues, however they have been sorted out and even with heavy rains / humidity they will play perfectly. Many new ML Electromotions have been sold in Mumbai and other costal towns and there is not been a single complaint till date.

As long as you keep the panels covered with the cloth cover that ML gives when not using the ESL it will be great as it protects it from dust! ALso once in two weeks you could just vacuum the panels.

I have a demo pair for over two months and I have not had a single problem nor have I vacummed it at all. Just a regular wipe of the exterior surface is enough!

Its better to buy them in India as then you will get installation, and warranty with all customer support.

Rgds

Prithvi

Mine has the new panel since Feb this year, and it sailed through the last monsoon without any problem even on the rainiest days with the windows open.

Of course your mileage may vary if you live very close to the seashore where humidity levels should be always higher compared to more inland areas.

Wow small world. The ESLs I have in NYC were also from Cadence (Amaya I think it was - the one with the 10" Eton wofoer operating out to 1k). However Cadence will not fit into our current decor. My wife wants speakers that are visually less obtrusive.

We live about 200m (300 ft.) from the sea but we are about 70m (100 ft) above sea level so we get a lot of land/sea breeze.

My wife finds the house very dusty she has to get it dusted and the floor swept twice a day.

I am a dealer for ML in Bangalore.

Many new ML Electromotions have been sold in Mumbai ...
As long as you keep the panels covered with the cloth cover that ML gives when not using the ESL it will be great as it protects it from dust! ALso once in two weeks you could just vacuum the panels.

Its better to buy them in India as then you will get installation, and warranty with all customer support.

1. I did not know ML has a dealer in India. Is there one in Mumbai too? How long has this dealership been in operation?

2. Glad to know that many ESL have been sold in Mumbai. If we keep the panels covered when not in use do they still need vaccuming? My listening needs are usually on weekend nights.

3. If we do buy speakers they will be from Mumbai (unless prices are terribly different from International prices).

Right now we are debating between DIY and purchase. My wife prefers purchase as my DIY contraptions never have the same fit and finish as even mid-priced offerings from companies like Triangle, Focal, B&W, KEF, Monitor Audio, Tannoy, Jamo, Dali, Heco, Canton, Joesph Audio, Martin Logan, Magneplanar and just about every decent speaker in the market.:sad:

I was a system that will sound good, my wife wants one that is simple to operate (read as single AVR - ouch!) and is reliable. However this is the topic for another thread. Any advice is welcome.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/22535-old-diyer-needs-help-3-systems-3-rooms.html

My wife wants speakers that are visually less obtrusive.

It is amazing to see women across the world transcending boundaries and irrespective of caste, creed or color have similar traits, be it their penchant for shopoholism or disdain for men's stuff. :D

My wifey kept egging on me to get rid of my Aristas because they look weird (to her) of course without any success.:lol:

My wifey kept egging on me to get rid of my Aristas because they look weird (to her) of course without any success.:lol:

You must keep the faith and never give in:lol::lol::lol:

This is the reason one must have a dedicated mancave where one can do what one likes. Entry to the mancave for WAG being by prior permission, and that too only for dusting and cleaning up duties!

jls001, u r treading on very thin ice there!! ;)

interestingly, my personal experience (with the Arista, atleast) has been more +ve. hi WAF owing to the nice grain on the baffle, etc.

however, I do get occasional friends wondering what the 'search-light' thingamajigs are (for).

imagine when i got 845 monoblocs. the question is, what r the bottle'y/bulb'like things, etc.?

now, the latest entrant, being the 'monster' 21" sub, still needs to grow on to earn WAF points. the nice thing is it goes with a side of the furniture, so should work out.

trust this is not too OT.

What do you suggest? no ESL in Mumbai?

No. What I am saying is, since ESLs make, possibly, the best music (IMHO), protective additions and preventive maintenance would be necessary for use in Mumbai, etc., like conditions. If acceptable, the answer should be a no brainer.

.... protective additions and preventive maintenance would be necessary for use in Mumbai, etc....the answer should be a no brainer.

You might want to read this thread by a ML owner in Mumbai:

Wonder what Ajay and his crew in Pune do to their Cadence panels that make them so much more resilient to dust/humidity than ML?

Wonder what Ajay and his crew in Pune do to their Cadence panels that make them so much more resilient to dust/humidity than ML?

If you recall old radio set like Telefunken, they were quaintly claimed to be "tropicalised". I guess one needs to "tropicalise" electronics parts for use in tropical conditions.

If you recall old radio set like Telefunken, they were quaintly claimed to be "tropicalised". I guess one needs to "tropicalise" electronics parts for use in tropical conditions.

The panels of ESL are not really "electronic". I assume Cadence has invested time and energy into making their speakers more resilient than ML. India and other dusty tropical countries are not a big enough market for ML for them to invest this energy. For example while Singapore is often as humid, it is not as dusty.

Hi Navin,

I live in Mumbai and have used Cadence Amayas without any dust/humidity related problems. The new modified Indium Oxide coating that Cadence has developed makes the panels extremely humidity-proof. As for dust, I keep the ES panels covered when not in use (got some dust covers made).

Now where WAF is concerned, it's every man for himself! :)

Cheers,
Persiflage

Hi Navin,

I live in Mumbai and have used Cadence Amayas without any dust/humidity related problems. The new modified Indium Oxide coating that Cadence has developed makes the panels extremely humidity-proof. As for dust, I keep the ES panels covered when not in use (got some dust covers made).

Now where WAF is concerned, it's every man for himself! :)

Cheers,
Persiflage

Just off the track , coming after long time , maybe years .... where were u buddy? I think we interacted about your Nad Pre Power Right??

Magneplanars are the way to go.
Have owned various models for approx 35 years, yes 35 plus.
Just one pair gave me a problem because they were not in use for a long long time.
amazing speakers.never wanted anything else after I bought my first pair.
suresh lalwani

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back