Matching amplifier for Tannoy V4i

amit11

Hi Friends,

Any thoughts/suggestions on which amplifier would be preferrable for Tannoy Floor standing speakers V4i.

a) Yamaha R S-201
b) Yamaha A S-500
c) Marantz PM 5004
d) Marantz PM 6005

Regards,
Amit.

Hi Friends,

Any thoughts/suggestions on which amplifier would be preferrable for Tannoy Floor standing speakers V4i.

a) Yamaha R S-201
b) Yamaha A S-500
c) Marantz PM 5004
d) Marantz PM 6005

Regards,
Amit.

Hi Amit
The Yamaha RS201 seems to be a very basic level receiver - and can probably skip that
Between the Yamaha and the Marantz, it is really up to the individual. My preference might be for Marantz while you might like the Yamaha sound. You will have to listen to them and decide for yourself.

The forum can suggest other alternatives, if you specify your budget

As for now, your speaker choice is fantastic
And your short list for amps is good too

You can probably consider the Marantz CR510 for more digital connection options (CR610 adds a CD player, 2nd speaker out connection and couple of input connections). Or the Onkyo 8050

Thanks Grunthos.

I had a chance to audition only 2 amplifiers with the V4i, and following were my observations.

1. With Marantz PM5004:
The sound was 'warm', but slightly leaning towards 'dark'.
Male vocals were good.

2. With Yamaha R S-201:
The sound was obviously less warm as compared to Marantz, but was 'open' and 'airy'.
Female vocals were good. Male vocals had less 'weight' (since less warm), but were crisp anyway.

Due to this I am slightly inclined towards Yamaha. Even though it has less warm, I like the 'open' and 'airy' feeling.
However I have also heard that since Yamaha is bright, the highs can cause listener fatigue after some time --> That is what I am worried.

Model R S-201 is not preferred, but got an idea about the house sound. So waiting to audition with Yamaha A S-500.

Regards,
Amit.

Last edited:
Hi Amit and Preth
I am in a similar situation! I kinda liked the Jamo C607 speakers (floorstanding) and am looking for a good stereo amp for the same. Thought of buying the Yamaha AS 500 but was advised to look at Marantz PM6005 too. I understand it's a lot better than the yamaha. My only apprehension being that the 6005 is 45W per channel so am not sure if it will go with Jamo 607s.
Would appreciate any advice on this.
Is there a dealer for Arcam in delhi? any other suggested stereo amps?
Thanks!

Hi bhuvkalra,

Regarding Yamaha vs Marantz amplifiers in isolation, the audition and combination with those speakers would tell you more which sounds better. Matching the speakers and amplifier combination is equally important.

For the watts, the figure of 45 watts prima facie gives an impression it is less, however once you hear it, you will find it significantly more than required for daily listening levels/volume.

So my suggestion would be to audition the combo if possible and decide for yourself which is better and whether the watts are as per your requirement or not. More watts may not necessarily mean better.

Regards,
Amit.

Try Marantz or Nad, pair well with Tannoy IMO.
Also try to take audition yamaha,marantz,nad,pioneer and then decide.

Thanks Amit & Karthik
I agree on 'not going for the pure watt' thing as the quality of sound output is definitely a much bigger concern. Yes, I will try and audition on the combos.
Am leaning towards the Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 or 10.7 and will try if i can get to hear a Marantz amo with the same.
Cheers

a) Yamaha R S-201
b) Yamaha A S-500
c) Marantz PM 5004
d) Marantz PM 6005

From personal experience, Marantz for reliability and Yamaha for power. In a flat response room Yamaha A S-500 would out perform Marantz PM 6005 due to the output power difference.

If possible, probably save up a little more and buy a more reliable and higher powered amp. If you don't listen loud then go for tube.

@Ambio

Thanks. By the way, I have already taken the AS500, one week back. (Was mentioned in a separate thread)

Jolida tube amp was one which I had a chance to hear but it was costing 1 lac+, too high for my budget currently :-( hence had to drop the idea.

I checked out the Arcam A19 amp. Planning to pair it with Monitor Audio BX6. Would appreciate any feedback/views on either.
Thanks!

I checked out the Arcam A19 amp. Planning to pair it with Monitor Audio BX6. Would appreciate any feedback/views on either.
Thanks!

Back