Matching equipment with Klipsch Forte III Speakers

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

I know this is going to be a long post. Sorry for that. I feel that it would help people to understand my goal and the problems I had with my last system hence a long story. I have faced a lot of difficulties during my journey, so kinda once bitten twice shy situation with me .

Very brief background, I started my journey around 6 to 7 months ago. My goal was to set up a 2.1 channel system but ended up buying Klipsch RP-8000F, R -115 SW with Denon x4500H. With in the first 2 weeks I realized this was not what I wanted.

Now, I am starting from scratch with only Klipsch R-115 SW with me and Fortes on order. I'll try to explain with my little knowledge what I am expecting and what I felt was missing in my previous system.

Why I was unhappy with my previous system

1. Mid frequencies were not very prominent. Highs were overpowering Lows and mids both. Denon + Klipsch sounded harsh and lean to me.

2. I prefer to listen at low volume levels and the sound was kinda flat at low volumes. say at -35 to -30 db.

3. Not much dynamic. Though some very nice recordings were close to optimum level of the equipment but not all tracks sounded great.

4. Relying mostly on streaming (Spotify Premium)

5. I was big time wrong to expect every track to sound like "Hotel California or Keith Don't go". I think the biggest cause of dissatisfaction was this.

My expectations from the new system

1. Crisp and detailed sound.

2. Instrument separation that can be felt at all volume levels, not at ear bleeding levels of course.

3. Large sound stage to fill my living room of 20*18.

4. Not too complicated in terms of setup.

Now coming to what I want to buy (Brand New)

I have planned to add equipment in phases first phase being the bare minimum purchase to get me going and then keep on adding as required or budget allows. My budget for the phase 1 is around 4 Lacs less the better.

Phase 1

1. Network Transport preferably not a player that could handle online streaming, input from laptop may be external HDD or USB drive that would be an advantage.

2. External DAC. I see an advantage of spending money on an external DAC.

3. I have toned down my requirement from Pre + Power to Integrated amp for the moment, but still open to both options. I am not aware if there is any integrated amp with Pre Outs so that I could add a power amplifier in future? Since I have Klipsch sub with me so I am looking for an amp that has sub out(s) or some mechanism to allow sub woofer in the system e.g. 2.1 channel

I guess these 3 components are bare minimum to get me going. I do not have any CD collection so I am relying on some FLAC files and streaming options for the time being.

Phase 2 (With in next 6 months)

1. Universal disc transport

2. Interconnects

Since I'll be using an external DAC, and if some money can be saved then definitely a Transport. My notion is that if a single DAC is feeding the pre amplifier taking inputs from Disc/Network transport then the digital to anlouge converstion will be same irrespective of source rather than using multiple DACs in the system.

Phase 3 (Not very soon)

1. Turntable

2. AM/FM Tuner I am a regular FM listener.

My choice of music

I like to listen old English classical, jazz, country, ghazals and old hindi songs. So warmth and details are I don't want to compromise with.

My humble request to all the members, I would like to know why you would recommend Brand A over Brand B, I would gain some more knowledge by knowing what to look for when looking for an amplifier or any other equipment.

I think talking about all the equipment in one go won’t be a good idea, so may be to start withlets talk about Amplifier(s).

Thanks a lot for all your support always.

Last edited:
Go up to the cornwall if you plan to go with Klipsch. And get a classic push pull tube amplifier to keep the budget low. I have heard the forte and I found it to have a classic “ v “ shaped sound with a mid bass boost. Not super resolving although very clear. Good fun rock n roll speaker!

OR

Since you like keeping a subwoofer, I think you should get a pair of bookshelf speakers with a balanced freq response and detail resolving capabilities even at low volume levels. And look for an integrated amplifier that is similar in nature. The Kinkistudio EX M1 is good. Comes with Ultra-precise 256 steps R2R linear volume control that allow you to fine adjust the volume for late-night-listening. Some good speakers ( in your budget ) that sound balanced and with good tonal characteristics are from ATC, Harbeth, Dynaudio. I am sure there are many more. Use the high level inputs of the subwoofer for stereo.
OR
A pair of floor standers with classic scanspeak drivers from acoustic portrait and their own amplifiers. No subwoofer needed.

Source has to be good. A dac and good source files are a must. Otherwise everything you do is in vain.

Go up to the cornwall if you plan to go with Klipsch. And get a classic push pull tube amplifier to keep the budget low. I have heard the forte and I found it to have a classic “ v “ shaped sound with a mid bass boost. Not super resolving although very clear. Good fun rock n roll speaker!

OR

Since you like keeping a subwoofer, I think you should get a pair of bookshelf speakers with a balanced freq response and detail resolving capabilities even at low volume levels. And look for an integrated amplifier that is similar in nature. The Kinkistudio EX M1 is good. Comes with Ultra-precise 256 steps R2R linear volume control that allow you to fine adjust the volume for late-night-listening. Some good speakers ( in your budget ) that sound balanced and with good tonal characteristics are from ATC, Harbeth, Dynaudio. I am sure there are many more. Use the high level inputs of the subwoofer for stereo.
OR
A pair of floor standers with classic scanspeak drivers from acoustic portrait and their own amplifiers. No subwoofer needed.

Source has to be good. A dac and good source files are a must. Otherwise everything you do is in vain.
Thanks for your inputs. Actually I do not have any other option but to choose Klipsch. The Fortes are the ones that I can afford at the moment. Many people have given a thumps up for Primaluna integrated or separates with Fortes on Klipsch forum.

If you can, skip EVO and buy the previous model. It’s cheaper since it has been discontinued. I don’t think EVO brings anything special to the table. It’s their way of increasing price :)

If you can, skip EVO and buy the previous model. It’s cheaper since it has been discontinued. I don’t think EVO brings anything special to the table. It’s their way of increasing price :)
Dialogue Premium HP is the predecessor I think.

Most Indian distributor/dealers don’t have any stocks. You’ll have to end up placing an order if you wish to buy from a distributor in India.

Anyone with Cary Audio experience? Cary audio has a heritage series to match the finish specially with Klipsch heritage series finishes. Was just browsing through and have a feeling that Cary audio can be one brand solution for me that I would prefer over mix and match.

Cary is a more traditional tube sound. It’s fairly lush sounding. Prima Luna is more extended and more modern sounding. You need to decide what floats your boat.

Cary is a more traditional tube sound. It’s fairly lush sounding. Prima Luna is more extended and more modern sounding. You need to decide what floats your boat.
Chances are I might get demo of Cary Audio but nor Primaluna.

Anyone with Cary Audio experience? Cary audio has a heritage series to match the finish specially with Klipsch heritage series finishes. Was just browsing through and have a feeling that Cary audio can be one brand solution for me that I would prefer over mix and match.
Check the forum on user experience with Cary Audio.
There were a few posts about serviceability in India.
No idea about SQ, sorry.
Cheers,
Raghu

Pl also consider Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum series 2 or latest one 3...its very good integrated tube amp with high power (100w/ch) push pull design..its distributor /dealer is Delhi based Base n Treble..i have this amp and its excellent sounding amp.

Hi @Vivek Batra

We had also interacted before in your threads....am also an owner of RP8000F, here are some feedbacks from my side:

1. For a very good sound from the speakers (any speakers i suppose) I consider the first fundamental thing is to have superb quality source. And by this I consider very high quality recording a must (master type).

I was also in a somewhat similar camp like you....i.e little underwhelmed with the initial impressions of the speakers. But then I chanced upon some very high quality FLACs. I then realised that it was NOT the speakers. I was simply floored.....nay elated. So now my collection drive is veered towards high quality recordings.

2. Towards having a good source, I consider a DAC necessary. And for flexibility sake an external DAC is the best option... especially with all possible inputs/outputs (like usb/opt/coax/rca/XLR/balanced). Also a higher end DAC (not necessarily exhorbitant/boutique type) is better with better decoding features (for me flagship chips of ESS/AKM are good features). More the better if these DACs have features of DAC+preamp.

3. And then having a good amp be it Class A, AB or the newer Class D from Hypex Ncore et al with features of very minimal noise/distortions would be the next prudent choice. (In fact I am already planning two Hypex Ncore n450 monoblocks).

4. Then managing the listening room acoustics. Starting with measurements using REW....and correcting the errors.

5. And choosing all these need not entail huge budgets or very expensive gears. So I guess one needs to research quite widely. (Please do check more forums and choices available even including DIY stuffs)

I find my RP8000F which is currently powered by my Denon 2500H in the range of 'quite good' category. I have listened to some of my friends gigs with more Hifi stuffs ....compared to them ,mine is in no way sound 'inferior'. I have now a Sabaj D5 DAC which is acting like a preamp...and play hi res FLACs through usb pure direct mode (surface pro using foobar WASAPI exclusive). I also have a R610 Floorstanders.....which when compared to RP8000F hardly differs 5% in SQ (I know it's my personal subjective opinion ..yours might differ :D ). My listening room (living room) is 18x21 and have some 'acoustic treatment' in form of heavy curtain and a wall of bookshelf (which kind of act like a disperser).

These are some of my few cents as a fellow Klipsch speaker owner.

Best wishes in your journey.

Btw you have to go beyond Spotify premium for high quality source. Till Spotify caters masters....or amazonprime music ultrahd launches in India, I guess you have to somehow collect good hi res music. When given a choice i find my Hi res FLACs better sounding.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back