Matching the speaker to the amplifier....

Sandesh

Hi guys,

I have an Onkyo TXDS 676 AVR. The details are given as below). Can you tell me whether I am supposed to choose a 6 ohm or a 8 ohm speaker for this amp? Or can both be used? I wish to get the most out of my speakers without blowing it up or having any distortion at loud volumes? Also will the same apply for both Music and watching TV (with a surround sound)

AVR link https://www.cnet.com/products/onkyo-onkyo-tx-ds676/

Amplifier Output Details
85 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 1 channels (center)
85 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels (front)
85 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels (rear)
110 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.1% - 1 channels (center)
110 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.1% - 2 channels (front)
110 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.1% - 2 channels (rear)

It really doesn't matter. Speaker impedance of 6 or 8 ohms is nominal, which means that in reality, the speaker impedance is variable with frequency. It could be as high as 20ohms and as low as 2ohms. How much it varies can present a challenge to an amp, but a reasonably well designed speaker shouldn't cause issues.
You will not be able to make out ANY difference between a thd of 0.08% and 0.1% - guaranteed.

Select speakers as per your ear/room. 8 ohm nominal is preferred over 6 ohm nominal.
THD less than 1% is good enough for most listening.
Some speaker companies publish min impedance.
If not search for 3rd party sites that do measurements and publish results.
If you can find graphs of impedance measurements over 20-20K, it'll give you an idea of troublesome ranges.
Most AVRs struggle if impedance dips are way off from nominal.
Louder you set the volume control, more stress on the amp's output stage (also power supply).
It may heat up and go into protection mode or go kaput.
Cheers,
Raghu

Select speakers as per your ear/room. 8 ohm nominal is preferred over 6 ohm nominal.
THD less than 1% is good enough for most listening.
Some speaker companies publish min impedance.
If not search for 3rd party sites that do measurements and publish results.
If you can find graphs of impedance measurements over 20-20K, it'll give you an idea of troublesome ranges.
Most AVRs struggle if impedance dips are way off from nominal.
Louder you set the volume control, more stress on the amp's output stage (also power supply).
It may heat up and go into protection mode or go kaput.
Cheers,
Raghu
@raghupb Should I choose an 8 ohm or 6 ohm impedance, so that I don’t screw up the amp?

@raghupb Should I choose an 8 ohm or 6 ohm impedance, so that I don’t screw up the amp?
You choose either. What's more important is the impedance. Anything over 88db should be good for the amp. Try auditioning speakers and pick the one that sounds best to you.

MaSh

You choose either. What's more important is the impedance. Anything over 88db should be good for the amp. Try auditioning speakers and pick the one that sounds best to you.

MaSh
@MaSh - I quite liked the Sonodyne Avant t2 speakers and they are 88 DB and 8 Ohms. Would that suit my Onkyo AVR?

@MaSh - I quite liked the Sonodyne Avant t2 speakers and they are 88 DB and 8 Ohms. Would that suit my Onkyo AVR?
Have you heard them? Try auditioning them, preferably with your amp.

That said, onkyos are popularly considered bright, so warmish signature speakers would go well and result in a neutral setup. I personally like bright systems and that's how I built my setup. Same goes for you.

MaSh

@MaSh just auditioned them today with the dealers amp. But I do intend to take my amp and check it out too! They sound quite good for Metal and industrial, and 80s pop. Any idea about their active speaker range?

Back