matching tweeter/compression driver suggestion for a 12" driver with 97dB sensitivity

Naveenbnc

Dear All,
I have a 12" driver with high sensitivity of 97dB.
Generally its good to select a tweeter/comp. driver with higher sensitivity than woofer.

Can you suggest any suitable tweeter for this driver please... (for building a two way speaker)
Any tweeter with a reasonably flat response above 2 kHz should be fine im guessing
I don't want to go too expensive. And availability also is a concern.

The driver is Ahuja 12" DX12-F200 (graph attached)

DX12 F200.JPG

I have edited my earlier response.
This is a full range. You won't need any tweeter or compression driver.
If you have not already purchased the driver, go for the 100W one.
The plan for that is already shared elsewhere.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Last edited:
thank you Ravindra, :):)

My good friend, and our FM Aniket is going to build crossovers.
Ahuja supplier has very few models in stock, and they have around 91dB sensitivity.
Some other models have huge horns:D. I want to try to get Hifi quality sound.
So I found HF100 from FaitalPro. It is very good but currently not in stock.
So im searching for any alternatives.

And thanks a lot for offering help in enclosure size. :):)

Have you already bought the Ahuja driver ?
ooh...yes !! Out of curiosity mainly, :D:Dand the other reason is Aniket said its a good one too !!
And other FM in hyderabad is planning to build with Ahuja Full range.
So instead of repeating the same, i bought the DX12-F200

I have edited my earlier response.
This is a full range. You won't need any tweeter or compression driver.
If you have not already purchased the driver, go for the 100W one.
The plan for that is already shared elsewhere.

Regards,

Ravindra.
DrCrack from our forum bought the 100W full range one. I can always check it when we meet.
So instead of repeating the same, i bought the other model.
I see from the graph this is also a full range, may be i can build this alone, and add a tweeter later if needed

You wouldnt need top end supplementation with this driver. Maybe later you could add a super tweeter.
Instead may i suggest you look to support the low end.
yes ofcourse !!! im open to do any experiments since im learning now :)

please correct me if I am wrong, the graph starts to roll off from 10kHz onwards.
Will it not need any tweeter to support beyond that?
or..... can it perform somewhere upto 13kHz (looks like that is 3dB below 90)

similarly, the low end starts to roll off sharply below 70Hz.... may be that is why you are suggesting low end support
(if my understanding is correct)

Wow ...this is like a treasure with so much to learn :D:D
Thank you so much for sharing :):)

Actually my initial intention was to build a two way with this driver and a tweeter.
(In a laymen's terms, a big box with a woofer + tweeter + simple crossover.)
But i was like half minded whether it needs low end support or not. To be honest I didn't realize it till you people pointed.
Buy right now, with a very basic knowledge, my judgements will not be close to accurate.

So I will play around with a few budget drivers, and I may have to scrap a few enclosures before getting some understanding.

Thanks a lot for the link !!!

please correct me if I am wrong, the graph starts to roll off from 10kHz onwards.
Will it not need any tweeter to support beyond that?
or..... can it perform somewhere upto 13kHz (looks like that is 3dB below 90)

similarly, the low end starts to roll off sharply below 70Hz.... may be that is why you are suggesting low end support
(if my understanding is correct)

Hello Naveen,

Its great that you guys ( and girls?) in Hyderabad are getting hands on and that too on full range builds.
I have done lot of work in theory and practice on this.

To answer your question, irrespective of the graph, this Ahuja 12" FR in bass reflex enclosure does not need any tweeter or woofer for high or low extension. It works wonderfully as a single driver without a crossover. The lows go down to 24Hz (+/-1db) and you won't miss a thing in treble, what ever is the content.

I suggest that some of you visit me and see and hear my build and are of course welcome to share your experience here in the forum.
This will be a good learning for all of us and will help us relate better in terms of quality.

Look at the impedance curve: It stays below 20ohms for very small frequency range and rises both on low and high side.
Normal amplifiers will naturally see a fall in frequency response because of this. Hence we need something that actually increases the gain with increase in impedance (going against ohms law) to get the best out of this.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Last edited:
Hello Naveen,

Its great that you guys ( and girls?) in Hyderabad are getting hands on and that too on full range builds.

To answer your question, irrespective of the graph, this Ahuja 12" FR in bass reflex enclosure does not need any tweeter or woofer for high or low extension. It works wonderfully as a single driver without a crossover. The lows go down to 24Hz (+/-1db) and you won't miss a thing in treble, what ever is the content.

I suggest that some of you visit me and see and hear my build and are of course welcome to share your experience here in the forum.
This will be a good learning for all of us and will help us relate better in terms of quality.

Regards,

Ravindra.
In our whatsapp group, once we discussed why there is not a single girl fond of music systems ??:D:D
Our forum has some 30000 members? and not a single girl !!! :eek:
I believe girls enjoy music as much as boys, but they are better off in being able to enjoy without crying about the source.

Jokes apart .....
Thanks a lot for your guidance on this driver. It put a smile on my face!!:)
I think you build your speaker with SK12FRX. And the one I bought is DX12F200.
Hope this also works very well :D. I will learn and design a box. Then you people can suggest corrections.

In our whatsapp group, once we discussed why there is not a single girl fond of music systems ??:D:D
Our forum has some 30000 members? and not a single girl !!! :eek:
I believe girls enjoy music as much as boys, but they are better off in being able to enjoy without crying about the source.

Jokes apart .....
Thanks a lot for your guidance on this driver. It put a smile on my face!!:)
I think you build your speaker with SK12FRX. And the one I bought is DX12F200.
Hope this also works very well :D. I will learn and design a box. Then you people can suggest corrections.

Your approach is called re-inventing the wheel! I have no issues with that.....

But, the DX12F200 is actually a much better driver than the SK12FRX. However, Ahuja for some reason does not share its VAS figure and so my enclosure calculations stop without it.
I did not want go through the trouble of measuring it my self as I found what I needed in the 100W driver and that addtional power for the additional cost is of no use to me since I use only 20W/ CH for indoor use.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hello Naveen,

Look at the impedance curve: It stays below 20ohms for very small frequency range and rises both on low and high side.
Normal amplifiers will naturally see a fall in frequency response because of this. Hence we need something that actually increases the gain with increase in impedance (going against ohms law) to get the best out of this.

Regards,

Ravindra.
Thanks a lot for your comments on impedance curve. It's a new point learning for me.

Some girls and ladies I know, will spin your head with their knowledge and experience, especially with the circuit topologies, schematics be it just a power supply or a SS or Tube amp. Some with talents with drivers..... Well they are NOT Indian...

I am yet to see an audiophile lady form India.....

Audio gets a new term: 'Audiophile Lady!'
So there is a lot to learn and invent and understand in audio in India!!
I can't wait to flirt in audio!!!:cool:

Now we are really hijacking Naveen's thread.....

Regards,

Ravindra.

Most drivers with whizzer cone (especially the larger ones due to high beaming effect) will have a shouty upper midrange where the overlapping starts and might need a zobel network to tame.

These drivers will sound airy and create a huge stage, but will be fatiguing.

You might need a subwoofer if you are driving these with lower current home amplifiers.

If you cut off the whizzer section, you will need tweeters, else adding a tweeter is not necessary

Most drivers with whizzer cone (especially the larger ones due to high beaming effect) will have a shouty upper midrange where the overlapping starts and might need a zobel network to tame.

These drivers will sound airy and create a huge stage, but will be fatiguing.

You might need a subwoofer if you are driving these with lower current home amplifiers.
Dear Kannan,

The whizer cone you are saying is at around 2khz to 2.5khz. hope I understood correctly.

Secondly, I have a 250w RMS stereo amp and Yamaha rxv681

Since this has 97db sensitivity, I hope it can be driven easily.

Back