materials required for noise reduction:: suggest

kittu8_in2002

I would like to know as a layman what are the things or materials which are required to setup a decent room which reduces noise and acoustically it is becomes better.
We all know there are many companies offering this solution but obviously at a greater cost.
So friends do give all our nice inputs so that everyone may be enlightened on this issue.
Also would request you wonderful friends to also tell us about the basic challenges that one may face example:: room size may vary so the need of materials, may also differ.( just an example may be i am wrong :rolleyes: ) and so on.

please suggest

I would like to know as a layman what are the things or materials which are required to setup a decent room which reduces noise and acoustically it is becomes better.
We all know there are many companies offering this solution but obviously at a greater cost.
So friends do give all our nice inputs so that everyone may be enlightened on this issue.
Also would request you wonderful friends to also tell us about the basic challenges that one may face example:: room size may vary so the need of materials, may also differ.( just an example may be i am wrong :rolleyes: ) and so on.

please suggest

Some of the basic raw materials required are Glass Wool, good Knowledge, Plywoods, Wood Boards, Gypsum Boards.

Now the question arises how to use these substance, firstly it would have been handy if you had mentioned room size because how we actually use these materials is almost directly going to deduced from that size.

There are actually two ways of sound treatment one being absorption and other being diffusion, some go for absorption all the way, some for diffusion, other wise people choose a vicious mix of both.

So long post short you need to build some corner loaded Bass Traps, preferably and advisable on all 4 corners with Glass Wool of 48KG/M cube, thickness being 8 inches. I can go on and on but I think I rather direct you to my source of knowledge, so just search Ethan Winer and read his page on acoustics treatment at least 2-3 times and then see what is best for you.

Thanks.

Last edited:
hi,
basic sound proof starts with non reflective materials(wooden boards,synthetic glass wool,wool boards, acoustic cloths(cotton)), any surface wall, ceiling.
this makes the sound to stay in and sound proof..better u mention ur needs room size, layout of av equipments, openings ..can get u ideas ...

One of the cheapest acoustic treatment products that I have found is Empty Egg Cartons/crates. These square trays made of pulp may look ugly but are very good acoustically.

I have filled one side of these with Plaster of Paris and then fixed them on the corners and on walls in my room with the smooth side facing the wall and the projections facing into the room. I find them very useful especially for controlling standing waves.

Apart from these egg trays, some other things that are good for treating a live room are - Book racks filled with various sizes of books, LP/Vinyls in their paper jackets. Carpets are a must in a live room.

The best option to reduce standing waves is to open up windows :)

Last edited:
friends you rock, this is not for my room ( anyways my room size is 18 x 10 ft:rolleyes:) but i thought that let ideas flow from every where.This is for sure a vast topic and all your new ideas will not only help me but many of our friends. what do u say.! :)

The best option to reduce standing waves is to open up windows :)

And how do you stop noise coming in from outside? Most Indian cities are very noisy, unless you live in an isolated spot. Even there there will noise from nature, birds, etc.

Cheers

And how do you stop noise coming in from outside? Most Indian cities are very noisy, unless you live in an isolated spot. Even there there will noise from nature, birds, etc.

Cheers

Nice point there. I happen to live in a very quiet place and sometimes these occasional sounds from nature blend very well with music.

I seem to have a pact of mutual understanding with nature in the place where I live. I don't play my music very loud and the birds don't make loud noises near my window especially late at nights.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back