Maximum Excursion. Experiences?

slimetcake

Hello :licklips:
I've searched the forum for a while without having found a precise answer for my question, so here it goes.

Having finally bought some speakers, which are the XTZ 93.23s I've noticed that the 6.5" cones have a tendency to extend pretty far in and out when playing at loud volumes.
I would say that from their resting point they travel about 5mm on loud bass notes.
While XTZ says that the cones are very durable, I'm still worried if I might break them from over excursion.

My question is if any of you guys have any knowledge about the normal maximum excursion (xmax) for speakers with 6.5" woofers?
Am I fine as long as I don't hear any distortion from the speakers?

Also, have you ever broken a speaker as a result of over excursion, and if yes, how far did the cone extend?

slimetcake,

Where did you buy this system? Was this a blind buy or did you listen to the speakers before you made the purchase?

It's not xmax that you have to worry about exceeding, it's xmech. Xmax is typically one way linear excursion. Xmech is one way maximum excursion before something physically stops it, be it bottoming the coil, or the suspension, or whatever. In general I think its best to ignore this figure however and concentrate on maintaining the driver within a linear displacement all the time.
Different drivers will do different things outside of it, all nasty though. Your ears will tell you, if you are willing to listen.... distortion increases rapidly once linearity is exceeded.

I'm saying you aren't likely to damage the woofer if you exceed xmax so long as you stay within xmech... Certainly there will be increased distortion above the linear range of the driver, but if you really need that much more output, your best bet would be to upgrade to bigger speakers anyway.

Cheers!

slimetcake,

Where did you buy this system? Was this a blind buy or did you listen to the speakers before you made the purchase?

It's not xmax that you have to worry about exceeding, it's xmech. Xmax is typically one way linear excursion. Xmech is one way maximum excursion before something physically stops it, be it bottoming the coil, or the suspension, or whatever. In general I think its best to ignore this figure however and concentrate on maintaining the driver within a linear displacement all the time.
Different drivers will do different things outside of it, all nasty though. Your ears will tell you, if you are willing to listen.... distortion increases rapidly once linearity is exceeded.

I'm saying you aren't likely to damage the woofer if you exceed xmax so long as you stay within xmech... Certainly there will be increased distortion above the linear range of the driver, but if you really need that much more output, your best bet would be to upgrade to bigger speakers anyway.

Cheers!

It certainly wasn't a blind buy, and I certainly listened to them before I bought them. That's how I fell in love with them ;) They're really impressive speakers in its price range.

The speakers sound comepletly fine, and as mentioned I haven't had any problems with them (at all).

I guess what I really want to know is if I'm able to clearly tell if over excursion is happening, whether it being because I've hit xmax or xmech. And I guess you just answered that for me.

When I turn the volume up to say 50% the cone is moving pretty much, and I'm just worried if this can damage the speaker. (Not that I listen at 50% volume 24/7)

Cheers:yahoo:

Last edited:
Hi Slimetcake,
You are over powering your speakers. Your speakers need something lesser than what you are feeding in. Go for a lower power amplifier.
Your driver will certainly get damaged in a long run.
Vivek

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back