Media Player Cambridge NP30 - few fundamental questions

subirnag

1. How is NP30 different, better (more), worse (less) than streamers like Apple TV and Roku 2XS? Is there a case to buy both categories?
2. I am buying an AVR, most probably Denon 1912 or 2312. Does it obviate the need of a media player like NP30?
3. If I buy a NP30 and connect to my Denon AVR, then is there a case to add a DAC (like Cambridge Dacmagic) in between?
4. Do media players, allow creating playlists, from existing storage like PC or NAS?

I think the difference of NP30 with others you have mentioned mainly w.r.t the DAC built in. I read that NP30 has a 24bit 96KHz DAC only, although that is not the only thing that makes sonical difference. So you better compare on those fronts if you are willing to take analog out from your NP30 to AVR. However Denon 2311 in my opinion has network play capability so you should better try to utilize that first before you can decide to buy another network player like NP30. One more point some of the other palers you mentioned support audion and video streaming both but I think NP30 is music only

NP30, a music only streamer may be a better choice for 2 channel setup guys. Since your avr has decent dacs, you don't need to purchase. Also, even if NP30 had better dacs, you may end up using AVR dacs to utilize its bass management etc.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back