Media player that plays music via blutooth and wifi

square_wave

A friend is looking out for a product which can do the following :
Media player that can :

1.Connect via wifi and blutooth to mobile devices and play music stored in them and output the audio signal through 2 channel analogue out..

2.The device is a media player with an internal DAC

3.Interface which is accessible on its facia or comes with an app so that it is controllable via mobile devices..

4.Audiophile grade

Low budget solutions are welcome !!

Can't think of anything lower than 25K... but Bluesound Node is what you need. Input - Ethernet, WiFi, or Bluetooth. Analog or Digital output. Almost all audio formats up to 24bit/192Khz. I think it costs around 35-40K (not sure).

Oh! Option 2 and well under your budget: Fix yourself a Raspberry Pi2 with USB Wifi and USB Bluetooth dongle. Connect an I2S DAC on top, and you are set. The right Linux distro will make it even Airplay compatible.

I am using WDTV Live (around 5K now) for WiFi and USB and Logitech Bluetooth adapter (around 1K) for such requirement. But there are two devices. The Logitech Bluetooth adapter to be connected to your amplifier directly.

For the audiophile grade one, we can go for "NuForce BTR100 Bluetooth Hub Receiver" (which has digital / optical out) with a DAC (like TOPPING D20, FiiO). In that case, instead of WDLIVE, get one media streaming player which has coaxial out (as most of the DAC has one optical and one Coaxial input).

Last edited:
A friend is looking out for a product which can do the following :
Media player that can :

1.Connect via wifi and blutooth to mobile devices and play music stored in them and output the audio signal through 2 channel analogue out..

2.The device is a media player with an internal DAC

3.Interface which is accessible on its facia or comes with an app so that it is controllable via mobile devices..

4.Audiophile grade

Low budget solutions are welcome !!

I don't know if my experience is relevant here or not. But here it is.

I have a DLNA capable Yamaha AVR. I connected my AVR via LAN to my network switch (the other end is a wifi router). I connected my Nexus 5 via wifi. Both the devices are connected to same network. When I use AV Controller (app) on mobile, I can stream music to my AVR without a fuss. My AVR's Audio Decoder shows "Flac" (and not PCM) when played via mobile.

Here are the photos:

Screenshot_2015-08-21-15-19-54.png

IMG_20150821_151434.jpg

Thank you for the information aashish351 but even their clearance sale item is 400 pounds which is much above my budget. I'll check out the Raspberry pi.

Oh! Option 2 and well under your budget: Fix yourself a Raspberry Pi2 with USB Wifi and USB Bluetooth dongle. Connect an I2S DAC on top, and you are set. The right Linux distro will make it even Airplay compatible.

I know Rasp PI is capable but this is interesting :)

Have you set it up in this way? Or can you link to some interesting set ups you've seen around this?

I did set it up this way but not with an i2s DAC. I used a USB DAC. I used volumio which is a stripped down Linux for audio playback. There is lots and lots of info online on how to do this.

Thank you for the suggestion Aashish. But I have browsed for the same and got only links of circuit boards. Where do we get the boxes? Do we have to make it or something available readymade?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back