Media Player with or without BD drive?

rejeeb

I've a doubt:
1) Is it good idea to buy a media player with a BD drive (for example Popcorn C200). Does this combination is region free?

2) WDTV Live or Popcorn Hour A-210, with a separate multi region BD player like Toshiba BDX3200.

What would be the better option.

please check the cost of c200 with Bd drive since it may approach 20K. Moreover C200 stilln does not support 3D (that requires HDMI 1.4). So decide and buy, or you may go HTPC route in that budget

You can look at zotac zbox and asrock htpcs. But they dont come with Ram or HDD. And with current prices you can nicely build a i3 based HTPC here locally. Many have gone that route, requires a bit of patience to operate and get familiar but end result will be much better than any media player. For some lazy birds like me Media player is the solution.:D

I am not looking for 3D.
Any recommendation for a ready made HTPC from US?

My suggestion would be go with htpc + xbmc nothing can beat this combination. I have built mine last year and going good. It would be a fun to read/understand how to assemble a htpc and the end result would be very satisfying. If you cannot then go with the pre-built route as Kittu suggested zotac or asrock pc's. If you are ready to go with htpc then look at the sam9's or baiju's threads on how to build a cheap/good htpc. Lots of info from all the forum members in that thread.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot for your inputs!
I am another lazy bird like Kittu ;-) That's why I've chosen the media player route.
Before making the plunge, I will definitely look at the HTPC options.

Finally I placed the order. For the time being skipped the idea of BD drive.
Instead of Popcorn went for their other model PopBox. My friend is going to carry it from US, so I've to wait for 4 more weeks.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back