Media streamer and server for HT setup

I want a Media streamer to hook up with my HT system.
My main requirements are as follows
Should support all AV formats including 3D and HD Videos
Should have torrent capability ( the ability to download from torrents directly onto the device, will help me download stuff over night or when am out of home without hassle)
Preferably internal space (At least 2 TB and expandable upto at least 2 TB more)
Should be fast to stream videos and audio
Under 10k (budget a little flexible)
Can be used as a media server for other devices like my mobile and laptop and smart TV's

Thanks in advance

HTPC will best suite your needs. You can assemble htpc based on amd e350 for 10k excluding HDD and OS.

You doubt HTPC's HD video playback capability? HTPC will play any HD video far better than these media players.

well not HTPC's but some android boxes just don't seem capable enough to handle HD or Blu ray rips at least on paper.
I found few HTPC's but the problem is using key board and/or mouse plus i will have to buy a operating system to, this will take the costs considerably higher.

Budget of 10k is less for htpc unless you wanna recycle components and buy a decent gfx and 2tb. Might be better to go for a good media player like Playonhd or xtreamer.

tapped on Note II cdma

I do have an old PC lying around, it has ram and mother board in running condition i think, will have to test with another hard disk.
If i get enough working parts from it an HTPC can be a possibility, i will keep updating
Can someone pls point me towards some HTPC projects undertaken by fellow members from which i can take inspiration from?

Last edited:
HTPC s consume more power than media players. if u are considering a HTPC atleast consider getting a lowpowered mini Itx motherboard with slim cabinets with 110-200 w power supply. Asrock has few models ASRock > Products > Mini PC Series

Thanks for the help guys but sorry to say after much deliberation i think an HTPC isn't for me because of it's high power consumption and maintenance and also the fact that I am just not willing to spend more than 10-12K on it.

So please help me pick a media player/server.

E350 based htpc will consume 25-30 W only.

But i read somewhere that a media player consumes only 10 W, that is considerably low and also the cost factor.
The main reason i am scared of the HTPC is high maintenance (anti-virus, purchasing OS etc) and the fact that the media server or HTPC whichever i opt will run 24x7 during my holidays.

But i read somewhere that a media player consumes only 10 W, that is considerably low and also the cost factor.
The main reason i am scared of the HTPC is high maintenance (anti-virus, purchasing OS etc) and the fact that the media server or HTPC whichever i opt will run 24x7 during my holidays.

I am running my E350 based HTPC 24X7, 2-3 times a week with no issues at all. Believe me you will want to do so much more stuff with HTPC once you get it setup which is not possible with media streamers or players.

About OS and antivirus you can use license from your other machine if you have one, or if it's bothers you so much then you can go for Linux way which have some distros which are very easy to use and get rid of antivirus altogether.

I haven't tried installing Linux on my machine but I am sure it will run with no issues.

The main reason i am scared of the HTPC is high maintenance.

Also would like to mention having using my HTPC for more than a year with Windows 7, I haven't even formatted it once no maintain acne at all. But that also depends upon how you use the machine. You will get much more stability if you go Linux way.

I am running my E350 based HTPC 24X7, 2-3 times a week with no issues at all. Believe me you will want to do so much more stuff with HTPC once you get it setup which is not possible with media streamers or players.

About OS and antivirus you can use license from your other machine if you have one, or if it's bothers you so much then you can go for Linux way which have some distros which are very easy to use and get rid of antivirus altogether.

I haven't tried installing Linux on my machine but I am sure it will run with no issues.

Can you post the exact config of your HTPC and if possible the cost break up of the parts?
and will it be safe to keep it running to download data over night ?
What do you use to control it ?

Can you post the exact config of your HTPC and if possible the cost break up of the parts?
and will it be safe to keep it running to download data over night ?
What do you use to control it ?

Prices when I bought were as below, these are all 1year old prices; need to check current prices.

1) GIGABYTE E350N - 7245
2) Cooler master Elite 100 case - 3524
3) Corsair 4GB RAM - 1199
4) Seaget 2TB drive - 6500

I use Amkett wireless keyboard to control HTPC.

Ofcourse you can use it overnight, I use it all the time.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Back