Metrum Acoustics Amethyst DAC

Nikhil

Staff member
While browsing for DACs with Volume Control I came across the Metrum Amethyst offering. This looks like a very interesting package at a very attractive price (Euro 900). A couple of years ago these specs would have been at the Euro 2,500 range from Metrum Acoustics.

https://metrumacoustics.com/amethyst-det/

Screen-Shot-2017-09-22-at-05.06.28.png

Rear view shot of the Amethyst shows the input and output options. Plenty of inputs for this to work nicely as a DAC/Pre option

Screen-Shot-2017-09-22-at-05.07.05.png

While not exactly the same, Metrum is also working on a yet to be released Roon Endpoint based on the Amethyst.
The preview of this product called the Ambre is also available on the Metrum website.

https://metrumacoustics.com/roon/

Looks like Metrum is working on some very interesting products.

Last edited:
Their USP of their products is" Making digital music sound sublime".... That is the way forward!

Not sure why dac makers don't provide a proper BNC connection unless its an ultra high end dac these days.

Unfortunately the BNC has lost out to the USB connection in most digital gear these days.

Although in this case, I think they have made this more of budget DAC and HP amp.
Digital cables with BNC connectors typically aren't going to be used with this.

Unfortunately the BNC has lost out to the USB connection in most digital gear these days.

Although in this case, I think they have made this more of budget DAC and HP amp.
Digital cables with BNC connectors typically aren't going to be used with this.

While its okay to have async USB as it is a necessity these days, manufacturers can easily put a BNC instead of those ugly cheap coaxial digital out connections as it is the only SPDIF interface that avoids signal reflections inherently by design.

While its okay to have async USB as it is a necessity these days, manufacturers can easily put a BNC instead of those ugly cheap coaxial digital out connections as it is the only SPDIF interface that avoids signal reflections inherently by design.

That is interesting. I guess one could ask for a BNC as an option.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back