Mid Range AV + Speakers: 80K Budget. Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha 7.1

anshum_dua

Hello Friends,

Greetings! I am new to the forum and like several others chanced upon this amazing treasure of information and an enthusiastic group of audiphiles as I started my hunt for a new Home Theater system. Congratulations and Keep it going!

I am based out of Mumbai and like most Mumbaikars don't afford a separate HT room :) Therefore, I am already prepared that any HT system which will sound fantastic in an audition room will certainly not be as good at my home. That's an additional reason why inputs from all the experts on the forum will be immensly valuable for my selection.

My audophile quotient on scale of 0-10 is 0.5 (Best self rating!! Hope that doenst forbids me to post !!) , Thanks HiFi for this 0.5 which I have earned by browsing through several forums on Hifi and googling terms as simple as "bookshelf" and "home theater configuration". Pardon my ignorance and silly questions!

Purpose of this post:
1. Introduction and Greetings- This is my first post on forum.
2. Seek inputs on "What to Buy"

Query/Request Details:

Requirement: AV + 2 speakers to start with. Additional speakers to be procured later. I am fine with 5.1 channel system considering space constraints and room size. However, below features are preferred in AV to ensure future upgrades.

--> 1080p Video upscaling
--> any input to HDMI up conversion
--> Stereo bi-amp preferred

I could not identify any 5.1 with these features, hence considering 7.1.

Audio Preference: 60% Music + 30% Movies + 10% Gaming

I am preferring a AV despite music preference to ensure scalability of HT for various purposes. An Amp can be added later for better music experience, if need be.

Room Size: 12 X 9, however, room extends into a lobby without any partition.

Budget: 70k-80k for Av + 2 speakers. Separate Budget for PS3.

Shortlisted AV models (I know I should have identified speakers first-
Learning from Forum after I started researching AV):
Denon 1713,
Onkyo TX-NR609/509- Any specific advantage of 609?,
Yamaha RX-V673,
Marantz SR 5007 -- Costly option :(

Going by 40:60 rule of the forum, allocating 30k for AV and targetting 40k for speakers- only 2 speakers intended as of now.

Appreciate your inputs on preferred AV amongst ones shortlisted above, and any other as well- if considered absolutely superior in
performance as compared to these and within the same budget.

Speakers: For speakers, clueless right now. Sonodyne, Polk, Wharfdale..are few suggestions I picked from forum..
Any good bookshelf speakers are preferred. Floor standers are ruled out 100% due to space constraints.

For purpose of clarity, once again summarizing inputs required from the forum:

1. Please help identify a suitable AV receiver, preferably amongst the shortlisted ones, and considering the requirements shared above.
2. Any suggestions on compatible bookshelf speakers are much appreciated.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Last but not the least, if I have not abided by any rules of the forum, please do let me know. I hope I am posting this in the right section.

Welcome to HFV.Yamaha RX-V673 is newer model & less reviews are assailable.If you check last years models,Yamaha 671 & Onkyo 609 were the top preferred models.Yamaha is praised for both movie & music.SO demo would be the best to decide.
Also you need to select speaker before you get AVR.

you have very good budget for av+speaker.try to audition denon 2113 it has all the features you asked and speakers polk rti a3, tannoy revolution bookshelf.

... (I know I should have identified speakers first)...

It is not necessarily a bad thing and the reasons are:

1. An AVR/stereo amp creates a defined boundary of which all speakers you can possibly drive with the amp. This is a great way to avoid impulsive speaker purchases and then being compelled to follow that purchase with an even more expensive amp!
2. It is possible to carry around the AVR/amp for speaker demos and allows you to replicate much more accurately how it would be at your place. If you first buy speakers (and they turn out to be FS or very large BS) then it becomes far more tricky to get an audition of exact speakers + AVR at dealers.

:) See, that makes you feel good about the route you took!

Now for my 2 cents, for the budget of 40k, Tannoys are said to be a great buy. You can check on Paradigm's Monitor 7 as well as MA's M4 (I think so ... not sure of this range of MA). All of the above are FS.

For a BS, I would heartedly recommend KEF Q300 which would go well with Denon AVR. But then, you should factor in the budget for a high quality pair of stands for the BS (for the TCO calculation) :)

Hi all i am also planning for a audio set uo 2 CH.. i will buy NAD 326BEE... And i n great dilemma i choosing BS... My choices are;

KEF Q300
PSB image B6
Paradigm's Monitor 7
Wfdale 9.1/10.1

Please suggest me from this list or other additions are also welcome..
My requirement for a music is Great detail in highs and Midrange..also controlled Bass.
Budget - Am fine up to 37K Max or even little more.. But Cheaper the better..

Please suggest me a best option... Thank you..

Udhay, Paradigm's Monitor 7 are FS and not BS :)

Edit: Amongst the four, I would lean Q300. You can try the Image B6 but in PSB's BS series, Imagine series is more acclaimed. Wharfies ... your taste, the sound is not to my taste.

Last edited:
Uhday,

If you are at 37k, go up a notch and see if you can audition the paradigm studio 10. :licklips:

Hey there... A forum member from ratlam(abhijeet) & myself we are at a similar budget... We are gonna be visiting profx & avenue sound today & tomm on Sunday we will be auditioning sonodyne in croma & then have been graciously invited by a forum member Mav to chk out his setup which is a pioneer FS51 5.1 speakers + Yamaha v671... This combo is probably the best under a 1 lac budget... If u are interested u can join us too today & tomm... I can't seem to pm u at the moment coz of ur low post count but u could call me up on 9619586767 for further details if u wanna join... We will be starting around 1pm this afternoon upto 7-8 in the evening...

Hey there... A forum member from ratlam(abhijeet) & myself we are at a similar budget... We are gonna be visiting profx & avenue sound today & tomm on Sunday we will be auditioning sonodyne in croma & then have been graciously invited by a forum member Mav to chk out his setup which is a pioneer FS51 5.1 speakers + Yamaha v671... This combo is probably the best under a 1 lac budget... If u are interested u can join us too today & tomm... I can't seem to pm u at the moment coz of ur low post count but u could call me up on 9619586767 for further details if u wanna join... We will be starting around 1pm this afternoon upto 7-8 in the evening...

Which croma outlet has Yamaha + sonodyne combo?

Which croma outlet has Yamaha + sonodyne combo?

I dont know if it has a Yamaha AVR available or not but the croma we have been told to take the Sonodyne demo is on Malad link road... Will inform u after visiting them, if they will allow u to bring ur own avr to chk with the speakers...

Hi all i am also planning for a audio set uo 2 CH.. i will buy NAD 326BEE... And i n great dilemma i choosing BS... My choices are;

KEF Q300
PSB image B6
Paradigm's Monitor 7
Wfdale 9.1/10.1

Please suggest me from this list or other additions are also welcome..
My requirement for a music is Great detail in highs and Midrange..also controlled Bass.
Budget - Am fine up to 37K Max or even little more.. But Cheaper the better..

Please suggest me a best option... Thank you..

Hi Udhay,

It would have been great if you would posted a separate query, especially since yours is very different from mine. This way it will only lead to nowhere for both of us..

Moderators, I hope I am correct in requesting Udhay to post a separate thread.

Rgds

Thanks Buddy, shall call you tomorrow to discuss this. I went to ProFx yesterday and auditioned Denon 2213 with Keff nd Polk speakers .. They have a good combo offer for 1612 nd Keff, but I prefer Polk over Keff.. Hoping I can make it to The Shop today.. I am specifically interested to audition Yamaha before I make my decision.. It will be good to get your views on whatever you get to audition.. Cheers

you have very good budget for av+speaker.try to audition denon 2113 it has all the features you asked and speakers polk rti a3, tannoy revolution bookshelf.

Thanks Buddy, any significant advantage of 2113 over 1713.. If nothing much, then I might as well settle with 1713 to have a little more flexibility for speakers.. I too have rti a3 on my mind, any idea where I can audition them in Mumbai ??

Cheers

Hello People,

In addition to my original post, could you also suggest if satelite speakers would do justice to the system? I am not looking to save cost here, but trying to adjust with save constraints we face normally at Mumbai homes :( .. I auditioned satellites from Polk audio at ProFx yesterday and they didn't sound bad for sure.. Any suggestions for good satelite speakers, preferably with model numbers are also welcome...

Thanks

Thanks Buddy, any significant advantage of 2113 over 1713.. If nothing much, then I might as well settle with 1713 to have a little more flexibility for speakers.. I too have rti a3 on my mind, any idea where I can audition them in Mumbai ??

Cheers

Denon 2113 has 4k up scaling and 7.1 channel..you can use surround back for bi-ambling if required. Polk rti can be auditioned in profx mumbai.

if you have a preference for music then you have got to get Marantz...........look at SR5005, SR5006 to suit your budget. After Marantz I would go with Denon. I would prefer Onkyo if your main interest would lie with movies.

Denon 2113 has 4k up scaling and 7.1 channel..you can use surround back for bi-ambling if required. Polk rti can be auditioned in profx mumbai.

You are right, dunno which 1713 was I referring to... It was showing both options 7.1 and up scaling.. Even the ProFx guy confirmed yesterday that 1713 is 7.1 nd there is no considerable difference.. It was only today at The Shop that the guy to.d me that 1713 is 5.1- which is still sufficient if this can upscale.. Not sure if models outside India have different features.. Need to research this a bit more.. Haven't been able to audition Yamaha nd onkyo till now, but Denon seems pretty decent for my music movie requirement .. Thanks, shall keep posted..l

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back