Mid to high end speaker options

sidvee

Has any one auditioned these at Sound of Music, either Bangalore or Delhi? Referring specifically to their entry level Mira II or its replacement the Atria.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Re: Rockport technologies

I think one of our FMs ( Awedophile ?) used to own the Mira 1.

Yes;
I have heard many RT Speakers.
I used to love Andy Payors speakers & designs.
This year in May 2013 - It was the Best Sound of the Show for me @ MOC - Image is attached :-
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I have high regard for the speakers.
The Book Shelf to buy is the Merak with the Sheraton - stopped - but super.

Call me & talk if you need more details.

Thanks Bhagwan,
Look like an Altair in your pics. Initially I plan to travel to Bangalore, Sound of Music (they plan to open a showroom in Hyd., but not sure when), to audition the Atria, and then take it from there. I heard the Arrakis in a show last year and the sound was superb, so hopefully there is some trickle down to their lower priced models. I also heard the original Mira a few years ago, but I believe that model is discontinued now.
Cheers,
Sid

I heard the Arrakis in a show last year and the sound was superb, so hopefully there is some trickle down to their lower priced models. Sid
Sir,
Few things;
a]
The New Altair II is what I heard - in MOC - This year in May i.e.
b]
The Arrakis you heard must be super - that is their flag ship model - that too has been changed - now it is 'active' [partially] - I believe. Arrakis II i.e
c]
Where did your listen to the Arrakis ? I have been hunting high & low for it - they never enter a show with it;;;
d]
The Altair I was not that good - heard it 2 years back with VTL & it bit my ears off; The 'BE' Tweeter has a ring & a bite to it.
In Altair II it has been 'controlled'

If you are looking for a Speaker Upgrade - The RT is a Good Contender;
What are the other products you are considering ?
Budget ? So - I may try and ponder over options; New or Used is OK too ?

Visit Mumbai - I will take you around 3 to 4 houses - some set ups to listen to - that way you will get an idea - I suppose...

All the Best !

Focal Utopia / Dynaudio Confidence / PMC's / B & W's 800 Series / Sonus Faber / Joseph Audio / Brodmann Acoustics - some of the options that you have in India;

Last edited:

Sir,
Few things;
Where did your listen to the Arrakis ? I have been hunting high & low for it - they never enter a show with it;;;
Actually it was a dealer's open house, Goodwins High End, Waltham, MA, last summer.

If you are looking for a Speaker Upgrade - The RT is a Good Contender;
What are the other products you are considering ?
Budget ? So - I may try and ponder over options; New or Used is OK too ?

Thanks Bhagwan,
Yes I believe the Rockports will be awesome.
Some other options I am considering:
Raidho C1.1 & Evolution acoustics from Auidere
Focal Diablo Utopia from PTC
Budget - Under USD $20k

One thing I will need a home audition, I have talked to Sharath and he is fine with it, have yet to talk to Sound of Music or PTC, but plan to do so after intial audition is complete.

Visit Mumbai - I will take you around 3 to 4 houses - some set ups to listen to - that way you will get an idea - I suppose...

Thanks you kindly Bhagwan, I will plan a trip and inform you in advance.
I am also planning a trip to Singapore, hope to be able to audition a lot more options there as well.

Cheers,
Sid

Raidho C1.1 & Evolution acoustics from Auidere
Focal Diablo Utopia from PTC
I never knew Eben was in India - Good to learn;
Else a in house demo would not be possible.
The Evolution I personally have never heard;
Audire is selling it in India - since they do not do Magico now - should be a good option to consider.
I am also planning a trip to Singapore, hope to be able to audition a lot more options there as well.
True;
A lot more quantity to listen to there - for sure.
However, I am not so sure how the quality will stack up - viz-a-viz Mumbai.
No Kaiser Kaweru / Audiaz Saria / Marten Coltrane 2 / Dynaudio Evidence Master etc. will be there in Singapore.
But, surely worth a visit.
I suggest you go to HK [Friday + Saturday + Sunday] in August for the Audio Show there - better options imho...& fly back via Singapore [3 days in Singapore] - this will give a super idea of what is happening where in Audio right now.

Last edited:

I never knew Eben was in India - Good to learn;
Else a in house demo would not be possible.

You must be referring to the older version. Now I believe Raidho calls it C1.1. Yes heard that they will not represent Magico, bummer because I wanted to audition the S1 and it fit nicely with my budget.
Not sure about HK, but Singapore definitely. Also I am quite sure there is Dynaudio dealer in Adelphi, visited him a couple of years ago. Not sure what models he carries though.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

You must be referring to the older version. Now I believe Raidho calls it C1.1. Yes heard that they will not represent Magico, bummer because I wanted to audition the S1 and fit nicely with my budget.
Not sure about HK, but Singapore definitely.
Cheers,
Sid

No Eben in India - as far as I know;
The Magico was to come - never came - spoke to Alon & he said no;

If you are to go to Singapore - do try and club it with HK in August.
It is a nice Show - Biggest in Asia - till now at least [Until China takes over in 2 years - Guangzhau i.e.]
It is a 1 week trip.
3 N in HK & 3 N in Singapore.
You will get to listen to almost all that there in - will not make too much of a difference in time & cost.
At least your purchase will be 100 % informed...

http://marten.se/coltrane/soprano.htm

I like this speaker too a lot; Do consider it.

Last edited:

FX ENTERTAINMENT Private Limited
40/46, Lower ground floor
CR Park
110019 New Dehli
T. 91 11 4050 7113 - fxentertainment.in

They sell Triangle;
Another speaker to consider - I like it;

Magellan Quatuor speaker by Triangle

This is a model that is nice;
In room demo should be possible - talk to Mr. Shane Choithramani surely he will oblige... Good Speaker - Cheaper Focal imho.
Good Build - Nice Sound - Legit price & a good dealer to deal with;

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Here is the man himself with Triangle;

Last edited:

Nice to see a thread about one of my favourite speaker brands!! And amazing that I can continue to hear them in Bangalore as well. The Rockports have always needed the best of upstream components - but I am sure you are well aware of it. I am not a big fan of the smaller Rockports though...but their higher end models rock!
By the way, not sure if there is a Marten Design dealer here - and if not you can probably import them directly from Leif at a very advantageous price, but I would also recommend listening to the Django XL as it is well within the budget you have. PM me if you want more details about it and certainly if you want a listen when you are in Bangalore. I had the pleasure of selecting between the Rockports and the Martens about a year ago and I could have easily lived with either. They both have a relaxed and easy presentation. The Martens won for me only because of the price. Regards

I think the top of the line from Joseph audio - Pearl 2 and Django XL from Marten design are good contenders.

Why don't you also consider a top line model from Blumenhofer ? You might need to consider an amp from Einstein if you need ultimate synergy.

BTW, I got an email that EINSTEIN Audio Components has been awarded the

'Brand of the Century - German Standards' award.

Einstein is the only home-entertainment brand which has been awarded and can now be considered as one of the top German brands which define new standards in technology and design. Other reputed brands which have received the same award are e.g. BMW, Mercedes Benz and Montblanc.

Last edited:

Thank you all, kind Fm's for your suggestions. I will definitely consider them. My requirements for my speaker upgrade are simple:
1. Under $20k USD.
2. Need local Indian dealer.
3. Have to provide home demo. and this will determine synergy with my exisiting components, which are by no means top of the line, so hence the $20k limit.
4. Prefer to audition said model in demo. at the dealer, if not I hope to hear in my travels.
So far from my discussions with dealers I have arrived at 3-4 brands within these criteria. I am holding off on Harbeth Monitor 40.1, which considering my love of the Shl5 is a no brainer, even price wise at $12k (perhaps with all the Indian markup will still be below $20k), but I am quite sure the size will not work in my room as I spent over 2 months optimizing the Shl5 which is a much smaller speaker.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

From all I have read the rock port is a great speaker. Fort the money you are spending you are right in going with a local dealership.

Would you want to consider the ATC as well ? Something like an active ATC hundred would be mindblowing..even a passive with your amps would be great

Another speaker would be the jbl k2 series. Very different from the regular jbl on your face presentation
Finally the bw 801 diamond ?

The harbeth monitor 40 is no doubt a great speaker ..but overpriced and for that price you can do a lot more.

I really have no idea on who all provide for home demo though :(

Last edited:

I really have no idea on who all provide for home demo though :(

This, Arj, is the crux of the matter. Considering the price, it is like buying a loaded Volkswagen Vento, Honda City, the skoda rapid or hyundai verna without driving, sitting in, or even physically seeing it. Not sure many will do it and I certainly don't want to do it. Even during my DAC upgrade, it was very difficult to find dealers who would offer home demos., notwithstanding the relatively high price I was willing to pay for it. So I am quite sure on this upgrade of mine the dealer is going to have to work to earn my money:lol:. Reason I referred to the Monitor 40.1 is that with my experience of the Shl5 and synergy with my upstream equipment, if the size suits my room, it would be a simple - "pay the money and get the speaker home" - kind of deal (similar to what I did with my Ayon cd2s to Skylla).
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

BTW there is an Awesome speaker for sale on this Forum- The Gradient Active.
not very much heard of and i had almost forgotten about this but I have heard this in singapore many years back
this is a fantastic speaker, truly neutral and has a unique tweeter design which makes it very flexible for any room + placement

I am sure room audition is not possible..but something to consider as it is supposed to integrate with Any room.

Robert Greene is also a great fan of Gradients despite owning the Monitor 40.1 ;)

Hi Sidvee,

What is the size of your room?
Music that you listen to?

Just for getting the suggestions more narrowed down to make things easy.

:)

BTW there is an Awesome speaker for sale on this Forum- The Gradient Active.

Thanks Arj,
Not really considering active loudspeakers, as I have a significant sum invested in my amp. So will be taking the passive route.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

I have a significant sum invested in my amp. So will be taking hte passive route.

Yes, Lamm & Symphonic Line will have to be used - so Active Option is Out;

Pertinent Point;
Room Size ?
So will the speaker be small / medium / large ?

Hi Sidvee,

:)

Thanks Denom,
Room size 14' x 12' x 8.5'. 6xGIK 244 panels, corners and first reflection points, 2xEchobuster panels on wall behind speakers (short wall).Floor carpeted with a large area rug on top, with armstrong drop ceiling tiles. Musical preference- Jazz mostly, both instrumental and vocal.
Prefer highly resolving speakers, leaning towards the warm side of neutral. Amplifier power will not be an issue, obviously due to musical preference and size of room, but also have ample power on tap - so even speakers with 82-84db sensitivity and extreme low impedance ratings are fine.
Cheers,
Sid

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back