Mini-review (Usher S-520 Spkr + Asus Xonar ST Soundcard + Topping-20 amp)

sonosphere

Background: Refer link here >> http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/2...ons-various-gear-combinations.html#post310038
For previous demo see here >> http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/2...s-asus-xonar-st-soundcard-norge-1000-amp.html

This demo had a very unlikely combination... a light-weight (literally!) amplifier, the Topping TP-20, paired with a low-sensitivity speaker, the Usher S-520 (both belonging to Sups). The source remained same as previous demo's (i.e my Asus Xonar ST soundcard). The Topping amp was demoed in previous meet to incredulous effect, and understandably this time, there was anxiety to know how the topping would drive the S-520.

Songs played:
See the song-list in the Observation-report image below.
The two "common songs" were >> Hotel California by Eagles... This soft-rock classic needs no introduction and "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff... is another classic, er. western classical. This was choosen as it is a really dense and highly dynamic combination of choir, string sections, steel drums... you name it. (A gear-combo that can play this with all details, but, without strain on your ears, gets assured entry to HiFi club). Other songs... "Swing Rhythm" was a snappy japanese drum instrumental track that could show whether your speakers are fast enough... "You raise me up" was a intimate sounding number with minimal instrumental backing, with fantastic female vocals by Jheena lodwick. A good test-track for vocals and delicate presentation. "Alla Truca" a western classical composition by Mozart, was a soft blend of woodwinds and string sections, a good test of coherence between mids and highs. The last track was, "Still loving you" by Scorpions. If Klause Mein's vocals of this Hard-rock classic don't move you then either your gear needs change, or your heart :).

Demo# 03 in progress
demo03a.jpg

Usher S-520 on left, and Topping TP-20 sitting on top of the black Norge amp.

Demo# 03 close up
demo03b.jpg

Observation report
demo032011.jpg

For those new to above Observation-summary...
- Explanation of criterias used in audition, is given in Observation feedback form here >>
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0...EyOTItYWFiY2ZiNTZlYTRi&hl=en&authkey=CI2L5P8H
- Since all the observation feedback forms were submitted as anonymous, the actual HFV IDs were substituted with Sample ID from "A" "B" "C" onwards .
- The "1" numeral you see in the form indicates the tickmark that was made under that criteria. So all tickmarks get added at the bottom to compare which criteria got max tickmarks

Observation-Conclusion:
This is a "Neutral" pleasant sounding combo good for small rooms. Details and dynammics are further strong points observed by majority. This combo didn't match the soundstage of Paradigm Titans for obvisous reasons (Titans are next generation in size and price). Despite the small size of speakers (and amp!), sound went pretty loud... majority didn't find any distortion-issues. Again, With majority opinon swung in one direction, it make this combo a safe bet to buy without audition, if you like the audition results.

My 2 cents...
The SQ of this combo was understandably better than previous meet having Topping amp, wherein PSB Alpha were the speakers. The Alpha's cost around 75% of Usher's and have half the size approx. While the contribution from Xonar soundcard and Topping amp couldn't have been better, the Ushers can do FAR better with better source and amp. The fact that Ushers did this well with just a Topping amp is as remarkable as a BMW SUV showing zippy performance with a Nano engine. Long ago... It was a demo of S-520 with Jaton operetta power amp, that revealed to me that it's possible to hear "everything" thru bookshelves which I could hear only thru headphones, till then.

This is a good combo to start your journey @ 45k (Topping @4k + Xonar based PC @16k + S-520 @25K approx). Like the Titans of previous demo, The S-520 will keep doing justice in your rig till you change the source and amp to 50k level each. Another similarity... though both Titans and S-520 have low end specified at 50 Hz, they sound deeper. Similarity ends at volume level... Titans are bigger and louder and obviously, pricier.

Apart from my opinion above, I request other meet-members to chip in with their's too, and add value to this mini-review.

Nicely summarized. Yes, the topping is a great VFM amp.
BTW I think the cables were branded (Usher Rapport).
I also remember saying the weight of the cables is more than the amp!
It was so fat that the bare wire could just slide into the terminal without any screws/ plugs and remain tight.

DSC04428.jpg

As always nice elaborated review. I am sure will guide and help many fellow members.
Thanks & Regards

Sonosphere a quick queston.

The topping is a good little amp. however wont it risk damaging speakers in the long run . for example assume I hook it up to lets say a Diamond 9.2/ Paradigm Titans or something similar.
A good old saying that " Underpowered amps kill Speakers especially tweeters " wont that hold good if played at a higher db level

Please try doing the same-type review, now using JBL Control 1 speakers. You might hit the roof ...... :p

Pricing would come down further .... TP20 (4 k) ... Xonar soundcard (16 k) ... JBL speakers (7.5 k) = 27.5 k

To be frank, an extreme budget system would look like this:

TP20 (4 k) .... mass market DVDp (2.5 k) ... JBL Speakers (7.5 k) = 14 k.

Currently, am using a CD 6003 as source, BUT, did not find much difference in sound quality while using CDs (maybe, 10% superior to DVDp). The difference is however clearly evident if MP3 discs come into play (clearly, by upto 30-40%) in CD 6003.

Please try doing the same-type review, now using JBL Control 1 speakers. You might hit the roof ...... :p
r u implying that this combo is better than the usher one and effectively rivalling systems say around 50-70k ?

Also is jbl the lowest possible price point ? or can it go further down without hampering quality

This was another demo that reinforces my opinion that SPEAKERS are the most important part of the system!

Lovely little system, Sups. Will likely copy it.

Viki

Sonosphere a quick queston.

The topping is a good little amp...
.... A good old saying that " Underpowered amps kill Speakers especially tweeters " wont that hold good if played at a higher db level

Hi Flash,
Theoretically yes. I have read this observation in many articles > At highest limits of an amp's capacity, clipping starts at the top/bottom end of loudest audio waves. The top/bottom part of sine wave gets chopped off almost in surgical fashion. The corner-kink at chopped of part can actually translate to very high frequencies beyond hearing range, and having dangerously high amplitude that you can't hear!... but your poor tweeter ends up going thru high excursions (without you getting to hear that it is yelling for help:sad:) ...and it exerts itself to a burning death.

Ok well.. you do hear some distortions in the audio range also, but sometimes they get masked in music... and in case of hard rock /metal, the distortions actually sound like "better music" :lol:.

In real life scenario the tweeters do have "some protection /HF filters" to negate this risk. But one can't say how and when a particular model of speaker will behave with Topping. Safe rule of thumb... don't crank volume above 50% level on your integrated amp.

Regds,
Sonosphere

Nicely summarized. Yes, the topping is a great VFM amp.
BTW I think the cables were branded (Usher Rapport).

Thanks for pointing out Santy. I didn't witness the cable being connected and forgot to take note.

Sups can you confirm reg cable?

Regds,
Sonosphere

TP20 (4 k) .... mass market DVDp (2.5 k) ... JBL Speakers (7.5 k) = 14 k.

Currently, am using a CD 6003 as source, BUT, did not find much difference in sound quality while using CDs (maybe, 10% superior to DVDp). The difference is however clearly evident if MP3 discs come into play (clearly, by upto 30-40%) in CD 6003.

Thanks avidyarthi,
the 14k option looks really good at that price-point. I like such combos in interest of general hifi scene, because it allows people to enter the hobby at an early stage of affordability...

one of my friends "accidentally" bought a "local" combo of separates, since it was affordable... (also because the SONY he wanted was not available! :p) Now he is addicted to hifi for life, and wouldn't look at SONY :lol:.

Regds,

The fact of the matter is that this Topping / S520 combo is ideal for small rooms was glaringly identified when we tried the same combo in the meet & sadly the same combo did not sound great at all!!!

Personally I still have mixed feelings for both, Topping & Usher S520.

Pity that we did not have time to do more pairings with either & hence for me the jury is still out on both :(

Thanks for pointing out Santy. I didn't witness the cable being connected and forgot to take note.

Sups can you confirm reg cable?

Regds,
Sonosphere

You are right santy. The cables are from Usher/Rapport, bought directly from ARN, Bangalore. They have two different gauge, and I bought the one with higher gauge. Its a over-kill for topping. But I have a plan to go for a better amp in near future. I read it somewhere that Usher speakers and rapport cables are almost made for each other.

The fact of the matter is that this Topping / S520 combo is ideal for small rooms was glaringly identified when we tried the same combo in the meet & sadly the same combo did not sound great at all!!!

Personally I still have mixed feelings for both, Topping & Usher S520.

It will be a too much expectation to use a 3.5K TP20 amp in a big room with satisfaction. Its meant for a smaller room, as rightly pointed out by denom. In my 12x16 room, I do not need to go beyond 12 o' clock position and it works like a charm, particularly the mid-range. In contrast during our 2010 meet in Viki's place, we had to go to 3 o' clock position as Viki's room was much larger.

I am eager to try my topping with the titans and see the difference.

awww if something faithfully reproduces klaus's superb vocals then it sure must be some awesome speakers!!!!!...wonder how the usher's will sound with an 35watts marantz?!

sono
What happened to other reviews. You can just post the excel sheet, its fine without anything else.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back