Minidsp -Various models ,features -Reg

RajithKumar

I'm starting a thread on minidsp .

I'm an user of minidsp 2*4HD model .I have used it for alignment of multisubs for HT purpose.It offers great flexibility .It can be used for stereo purpose for better integration of subs to make it 2.1 or 2.2,but never tried it personally.
I'm still a learner what are the other possibilities this small gadget can offer.

FMs can pitch in regarding various models ,there features ,why it is required ,Pros & Cons etc., of using it.
Hope this thread may be useful for those who are looking for similar requirements .

I'm an user of minidsp 2*4HD model .I have used it for alignment of multisubs for HT purpose.It offers great flexibility .It can be used for stereo purpose for better integration of subs to make it 2.1 or 2.2,but never tried it personally.
I'm still a learner what are the other possibilities this small gadget can offer.

FMs can pitch in regarding various models ,there features ,why it is required ,Pros & Cons etc., of using it.
Hope this thread may be useful for those who are looking for similar requirements .
I am using minidsp 2x4 in 2.1 mode.
However 2x4 isn't the right product to use with subwoofers as it Max output is 0.9 volts.
2x4 hd is the right choice.

Calibration needs practice and patience.

Using the remote to change the subwoofer volume would be awesome in 2x4hd.

I will soon upgrade to the 2x4hd

The miniDSP HD version uses a floating point DSP which offers higher resolution and a higher dynamic range as compared to the basic version that has a fixed point DSP.

The miniDSP is well suited to build a 2-way active setup in which each speaker (tweeter and the midbass) can be individually controlled by
assigning
1. Active crossovers
2. Slope
3. Attenuation
4. Delay
5. Parametric or standard equalization

By feeding a digital signal, you can avoid a ADC/DAC conversion as all DSP tuning is assigned only in digital domain.

With Dirac version, you also get addition benefit of advanced DRC features.

However 2x4 isn't the right product to use with subwoofers as it Max output is 0.9 volts.

That was for the older revision. As you can see from the latest product page (https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4), you can choose a RevB(2Vrms max).

The other possibility is a 2*4 balanced(https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-balanced-2x4) which has a jumper selectable option for both input(4Vrms and 1.8Vrms) and output (2Vrms and 4Vrms). This is the one I purchased last year.

If one doesn't want/need balanced connections, I'd second your recommendation for the 2*4 HD. However, I'd recommend it for the additional PEQ filter slots as well as the ability to set delays for the subwoofer signals up to 20 ms.

That was for the older revision. As you can see from the latest product page (https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4), you can choose a RevB(2Vrms max).

The other possibility is a 2*4 balanced(https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-balanced-2x4) which has a jumper selectable option for both input(4Vrms and 1.8Vrms) and output (2Vrms and 4Vrms). This is the one I purchased last year.

If one doesn't want/need balanced connections, I'd second your recommendation for the 2*4 HD. However, I'd recommend it for the additional PEQ filter slots as well as the ability to set delays for the subwoofer signals up to 20 ms.
Max input can be selected to either 0.9 or 2
Output is maximum 0.9 volts

Well I have used only 2*4HD ,where as u have used few more models of the minidsp products ... So I'm expecting detailed review for it.

I use the nanoAVR HD. Feed in the shield output to the dsp which feeds to the processor. I upload the data i got from REW to manage the curves better.

I have bookmarked the thread. I do have minidsp 2*4HD. Currently I am learning REW. I haven't got enough knowledge to implement minidsp in my chain. My aim is to configure 4 subwoofers (currently I have dual PB2000s, planned to add dual PB16 ultras in October).

It would be great if you could add more details on how you go about measuring and EQing in REW followed by importing in the minidsp?

2x4 hd is the right choice.

Calibration needs practice and patience.

Using the remote to change the subwoofer volume would be awesome in 2x4hd.

I will soon upgrade to the 2x4hd

Could you provide more info on your chain? Where in it does the minidsp fit in? How is the volume controlled in the entire setup?

MaSh

It would be great if you could add more details on how you go about measuring and EQing in REW followed by importing in the minidsp?

Could you provide more info on your chain? Where in it does the minidsp fit in? How is the volume controlled in the entire setup?

MaSh
Laptop aux output - to minidsp-
channel 1 right speaker.
Channel 2 left speaker.
Channel 3 Subwoofer.( Clipping at high volume)

Speakers genelec 8040b
Subwoofer : my custom built 18" sealed subwoofer

I'm well verse with minidsp software and REW.

There is also a model named as nanodigi, it offers digital outputs, its cheaper than 2x4HD and allows to add external dacs which can be of better quality than internal dacs of 2x4hd.

There is also a model named as nanodigi, it offers digital outputs, its cheaper than 2x4HD and allows to add external dacs which can be of better quality than internal dacs of 2x4hd.
Looks like a very good option to get equalization for people with existing DACs..

I think the other minidsp product that is essential is the UMIK-1 callibration microphone. Irrespective of which dsp tool you use, this is essential.

MaSh
Well actually it's a big procedure to explain.I will brief it somehow.
The minidsp has been connected (chain)between AVR & subwoofer . U can do the REW using UMIK along with minidsp .( Only the crossover settings in the AVR needs to be set to the max so that the signal will be directly handled by sub ).
Perform REW locate a good place for sub in the room.Adjust the time delays / phase using minidsp for individual subs ,so that the positive summation of the response gets increased.( It's a trial need to be done till u get the best response).
Once the best response has been established.Create a house curve and generate filters from REW.
Then upload the filters file to minidsp .After this perform REW ,u can see that peaks in the REW has been flatenned .

Laptop aux output - to minidsp-
channel 1 right speaker.
Channel 2 left speaker.
Channel 3 Subwoofer.( Clipping at high volume)

Speakers genelec 8040b
Subwoofer : my custom built 18" sealed subwoofer

I'm well verse with minidsp software and REW.

Oh cool. So how do you adjust the volume? Are you using minidsp as a preamp for speakers and sub?

Well actually it's a big procedure to explain.I will brief it somehow.
The minidsp has been connected (chain)between AVR & subwoofer . U can do the REW using UMIK along with minidsp .( Only the crossover settings in the AVR needs to be set to the max so that the signal will be directly handled by sub ).
Perform REW locate a good place for sub in the room.Adjust the time delays / phase using minidsp for individual subs ,so that the positive summation of the response gets increased.( It's a trial need to be done till u get the best response).
Once the best response has been established.Create a house curve and generate filters from REW.
Then upload the filters file to minidsp .After this perform REW ,u can see that peaks in the REW has been flatenned .

Oh nice interesting process. How do you adjust Delay/Phase in minidsp? Is it needed for a single sub too? House Curve as in do the EQ in REW?

MaSh

Oh cool. So how do you adjust the volume? Are you using minidsp as a preamp for speakers and sub?

Oh nice interesting process. How do you adjust Delay/Phase in minidsp? Is it needed for a single sub too? House Curve as in do the EQ in REW?

MaSh
Using the PC volume control.

MaSh
Minidsp is provided with a software in which the features are available ,First you may need to install the software in your PC,then through the sotware u can adjust ,it has good GUI which can be easily understandable.
You can able to adjust for each single sub individually.
Yes ,House curve is set in REW and filters are genereated in that.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back