Mission M35i + Yamaha RX-V1200

zeshane

Hey All,

I was pleasantly surprised that Mission is a popular brand in India where as in Pakistan, it hardly has any presence. In fact the hi-fi audio industry in Pakistan is not even worth talking about. The dollar - rupee parity discourages alot of people to invest in quality equipment these days and the import duties dont help either. The Mission M35i's which are around 25K (pair) in India costs nearly 60K in Pakistan.

Anyways I felt it would be cool to share my excitement with fellow M35i owners. I replaced the entire Infinity Primus series 5.1 setup to get these two monsters. I owned IP 250 for fronts, 150 as surrounds, C25 as centre and PS8 as Sub. The setup was paired with Yamaha RX-V463 and I use my PC for all entertainment related needs.

I have recently moved to a new apartment and my media room is comparatively large (12 x 20 x 10 - W x L x H) and hence the need for large speakers. There is only one official dealer of Missions in Pakistan and interestingly I got the Infinity set from that dealer.

So they came to my apartment with the Mission M35i's with two AVRs - Denon 1908 and Yamaha RX-V1200.

Having been listening to Yamaha paired with Infinity for quite some time, I asked them to pair the Missions with Denon first. The sound was muddy and a lot of power was required to drive these speakers. The bass was really loud and was over shadowing the clarity of vocals. The set-up menu was also difficult to comprehend. So Denon was definitely a no no.

Then they paired the Yamaha and there was certainly difference in the sound. The Yamaha desired less power whereas it is rated 80W per channel and the Denon 90W per channel. I was told by the dealer that the Yamaha RX-V1200 is among Yammys most competent receivers and people generally dont sell is and that I was lucky they had it available. The sound was definitely better, bass was controlled and sweet and vocals had much more depth. Well it was supposed to be as the Yamaha is a high end model and was sold at nearly $1,000 or more when it was launched. And the Denon is sold new at $600 or less these days.

So coming to my first observation about the Mission M35is. Its been 4 days I have them and since Im getting married next week, Ive had very little time to listen to these speakers carefully. I wanted to get the speakers before my wedding as my wife would have eyeballed me forever spending huge bucks on something she has very little interest in. So anyways, my first impressions are as follows:

These speakers are huge and require a lot of room to perform. They should be paired with a quality amplifier or else their performance will be disappointing. They need to be placed at least 2-3 feet infront of the back wall and 1-2 feet from sides otherwise there would be too much bass and it would disturb the overall clarity of the sound. Once placed appropriately they will sound sweet and produce extremely clear vocals and treble sounds. Though I found the speakers to be more on the warm side, I adjusted the treble setting and the sound got even better. For demo I used various material such as Sunburn by Fuel, She Cries Your Name by Beth Orton, All is Full of Love by Bjork, Three by Massive Attack, Alice by Tom Waits and a lot of other stuff.

Overall Im happy with the purchase and would definitely recommend these speakers to people who primarily put their focus on quality listening and have a large enough room to keep them reasonably apart. Pair them up with a solid amplifier and youre in for years of quality audio listening pleasure.

Zeeshan

Zeshane, welcome to the forum. Great to have someone from Pakistan. We have a few members from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka too,iirc.
Nice to know you are happy with the Missions. It is a popular speaker on this forum. I have the smaller version, m33i's.Its been serving me well.
So do you have surrounds from Mission too?
You should try a stereo integrated amp to get the best out of your speakers.
Post some pics of your set up too.

@iaudio

I dont have the surrounds and the center speaker yet. I couldnt afford them at this point in time. But I do plan to build the entire setup (wishing for a lucrative bonus this year). I had initially thought of stereo amplifier but since I wanted to upgrade later on, I went for an AVR. I'll definitely post some pics soon. Dont have internet at home :(

@Rallynut

Thanks. Yes they are certainly great indeed.

Hi Zeshane, Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. They are very good speakers and i have the smaller versions of the same. i.e., the M32i bookshelves paired with either a NAD C355BEE or a Yamaha RXV463. (i am still changing the components here and there between two setups to get the best fit. The are very good value for money speakers. I love them.

Enjoy the music.

swami

zeshane,u MUST hear them with a decent integrated,and give them around 40~50 hrs playtime.then :)cheers

Last edited:
zeshane, if the the yam avr has pre outs you could use it to hook up a stereo amp.

The prices there sound absurd! Sorry man! Is it because of customs duty? Any idea?

@Swami

Thanks man.

@Rallynut

I need to break them in. I'm unable to do so coz I'm getting married next week and really tied up with work and other stuff I need to arrange.

@Iaudio

My Yammy does have pre-outs. But why should I hook up a stereo integrated amp? How would it enhance the sound and will my Yammy AVR be used to actually process the sound or will the stereo amp do it? Would a power amp be a better solution? Which stereo amp would you recommend to go with the Mission M35i?

The prices are absurd because of the value of Pakistani rupee, shipping costs and custom duties. The dealers generally make upto 5% - 10% margin on the final purchase value which I think is reasonable.

Zeshan, A stereo amp will in most probability give you better performance for music. Dont take my word for it, borrow from you friend or dealer and decide.
When you take pre out from avr and give to int amp input, it again goes thru int amps pre and power sections.

+1 to that.also,when ur getting an integrated do try to get a min of 100w/ch,should be perfect.cheers

+2, stereo amps give life these FS. It's a different league actually. You'll enjoy them better.

Hey all,

I have been listening to these speakers very carefully. Have come across a few shortcomings. On rock music or anything which has detailed high frequency notes, the tweeters seem to produce scratchy sounds. Its very minute and an ordinary listener might not notice it but I can hear these distinct sounds layered under distorted guitar notes and sometimes even high pitched vocals. I wonder if this is prevailant in the M35i series or is there somethng wrong with my set.

Since all of my equipment is connected to the PC, I lowered the volume in my PC to see if has any difference. Well it helped a bit but I could still hear these sounds. Also the Yammy amplifiers are on the brighter side and I wonder if the pairing of speakers with Yammy is the right combination.

I am taking the stereo amplifer recommendation positively. Maybe I'll try out that combination as well soon.

Will keep you guys posted on the update.

Zeeshan

zeeshan try your speakers with a stereo amp (not marantz definately) - maybe NAD would be a good choice. Try a home audtion.

two cases here:
1. PC soundcard DAC is at fault. Mayble also at higher volumes the sound clips - keep the master volume at 70% and play using foobar through wasapi.
2. Yamaha AVR is not a good match with Mission. Try something else.

I use a dell mini through USB/HTPC onbaord optical to Beresford Caiman DAC to Noreg 1000 9standalone stereo amplifier)- the results are pretty convincing. You should try various amps - atleast you should either understand/identify the weaker aspect of the overall system combination/invidual components like PC, AVR, Speaker (which may be in fault too).

Adding to that - I have used my mission for nearly a year now - its no B&W Nautilus- buts its complete vfm. What you play is actually a little less than what you get.

@zeshane,ur connecting ur comp to the avr directly?possible its clipping at max level,plus not a clean signal.

my route would be like this:
comp(foobar/cplay)-dac(usb/spdif)-integrated(preferred)-m35i

of course this is assuming u have a generic soundcard or the likes.if not use the analog outs on a good sound card(asus essence,etc) to an amp-m35i

cheers

@supra,thnx for clearing that up ;)

Last edited:
I have the Creative Audigy Soundcard installed on my PC. The AVR is connected through SPDIF on one of the coaxial inputs. I usually keep the master volume at 80% but with this problem, I kept it on 70% and noticed slight betterment. Maybe its the amp which is slightly on the brighter side. I'll try and hook up a stereo amplifier to see if makes any difference.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back