Mix up speakers in HT?

Acuity

Hi guys,

I am now shopping around for speakers and an AVR for my 5.1 setup, and I just started auditioning. I have one pair of Monitor BX2, and I would very much like to use it within my setup. My room dimensions are 11' x 18.5' like this:

2zowunr.jpg

(Rear speakers are wired, but after reading other threads, I decided to install just 5.1 not 7.1)

My questions are:

1. Is it better to go with the Monitor BX series for the entire setup for homogenity in the sound, or is it ok to mix it up with other speakers?

2. It is an apartment building and I won't be blasting the volume too loud. But I want very well defined sound with tight bass. Should I consider Floor standers in the front or bookshelves in the front... and should I add a subwoofer or not? Purely from an SQ point of view. (I'm ok with the extra spend if I get SQ)

3. Since I won't be going loud, is it ok if the Amp output wattage is lesser than the speaker wattage? Say for eg. is it ok to use a Marantz 5007 (100w) with the Monitor BX5 (120W).

Your inputs will help focus my auditioning quest. Thanks in advance.

You can use the BX2 as rear speakers. It is recommended to use all the three speakers (L,R and centre) in the front from same series

If given a choice better to stick with the same series...........However if you are building the system speaker by system then matching speakers might be inevitable. The surrounds and subwoofer can have a greater flexibility when it comes to matching. However the fronts and centre should be matched.

Qn 2) If you are more into movies, add a good pair bookshelf speakers with subwoofer

Qn 3) Its alway better to have amplifier/avr with sufficient power to drive the speakers with ease. Low powered amplifier/avr may struggle to give enough power to the speakers, and in turn may get heated. Experts can explain more in this regard.

It is an apartment building and I won't be blasting the volume too loud. But I want very well defined sound with tight bass. Should I consider Floor standers in the front or bookshelves in the front... and should I add a subwoofer or not? Purely from an SQ point of view. (I'm ok with the extra spend if I get SQ)

Just a point, if you watch movies a subwoofer is must, even for floorstanders. As you need tight bass on low volume, only a sub can produce that. Sub will add an extra dimension to the sound but the real SQ will depend on speakers and AVR you will choose.
Start demo, it will help you to decide about your taste in sound signature.

Thanks people. Noted that Sub is a must. Any further inputs on using a 100w amp for 120w fronts (rest of the speakers would be 100w)?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back