Modfying / Enhancing Pioneer DV-373S DVD Player

Hari Iyer

Last week i opened the Pioneer DV-373S DVD player and had a glance of what chips and other components have been used and whether there was a probability of enhancing this DVD player by modifying / replacing some components. Here are my findings,

- This DVD uses a 24 bit/ 192KHz DAC of make Burr-Brown chip nbr BB-1742.
- The output of this chip goes to the op-Amp which is a entry level Dual op-Amp - chip nbr BA4560 of SOIC package. This op-Amp can be replaced by a very high performance op-AMP from National Semiconductor LM4562MA of SOIC package for improving the performance of this player directly.
- Also noticed that the DC by-pass capacitor used after the op-AMP is 47 microfarad 16v electrolytic capacitor. This shoud be replaced by the same capacitor of Bi-polar type.

I am planning to do this replacements in a week and will let all of you posted about the end result.

Earlier i use to connect the co-axial output of this DVD player directly to the co-axial digital input of my Denon AV Receiver AVR-1604. But after i did some research on the Burr-Brown chip i came to know that this chip is 24bit/192KHz DAC and my Denon AVR is 24bi/92KHz sampling. Immediately re-connected the analogue output of the DVD player directly to the analoge input of my AV Receiver and found a tremendous improvement in the audio quality of my setup. I would always play stereo music now in the analogue mode for better response. But if i need Dolby Digital decoding anyway i will have to switch to Co-axial digital mode.

Cheers,

Hi hari,

I am also planning to upgrade the Output OPAMP of my Pioneer DVD 686AS model player. Do let us know the result of your swap. earlier I had done the same replacement (4560 to 4562 OPAMP chip) in my old Marantz CDP 48 model. I observed that there was a good improvement in the soundstage and the dynamics. The vocals had more presence after the replacement.

N.Murali

Hi hari,

I am also planning to upgrade the Output OPAMP of my Pioneer DVD 686AS model player. Do let us know the result of your swap. earlier I had done the same replacement (4560 to 4562 OPAMP chip) in my old Marantz CDP 48 model. I observed that there was a good improvement in the soundstage and the dynamics. The vocals had more presence after the replacement.

N.Murali

The sound improvement after the swap was excellent with improved mids and high frequency response. I am also planning the replacement of the Burr-Brown chip with a high end PCM-1972 chip. Will let you know once i have done. Am planning a kit so that others can also benefit from the swap.

Cheers,

Earlier i use to connect the co-axial output of this DVD player directly to the co-axial digital input of my Denon AV Receiver AVR-1604. But after i did some research on the Burr-Brown chip i came to know that this chip is 24bit/192KHz DAC and my Denon AVR is 24bi/92KHz sampling. Immediately re-connected the analogue output of the DVD player directly to the analoge input of my AV Receiver and found a tremendous improvement in the audio quality of my setup.

Hello Gurus,

I need a help. As I believe, Digital OUT of player to Digital IN of receiver allows receiver's DAC for DA conversion and I am trying to interpret this from Service manual but no luck due to my lack of knowledge on this matter. I own Pioneer XV-DV505 HTIB and using happily for almost 12 years. This gear has got PCM1742 DAC chip 24bit/96KHZ and if I use Optical IN, how audio get passed to this DAC chip ? I have followed the "Optical In" line in Block diagram but not able to trace post Codecs (AK4586VQ). Could anyone help me how signal from Optical IN reaches DAC and routed to AMP section ? Attached the block diagram fyr..

Last edited:
Hello Gurus,

I need a help. As I believe, Digital OUT of player to Digital IN of receiver allows receiver's DAC for DA conversion and I am trying to interpret this from Service manual but no luck due to my lack of knowledge on this matter. I own Pioneer XV-DV505 HTIB and using happily for almost 12 years. This gear has got PCM1742 DAC chip 24bit/96KHZ and if I use Optical IN, how audio get passed to this DAC chip ? I have followed the "Optical In" line in Block diagram but not able to trace post Codecs (AK4586VQ). Could anyone help me how signal from Optical IN reaches DAC and routed to AMP section ? Attached the block diagram fyr..

When I take-out signal from Digital-out then DAC is bypassed. Direct CD-pickup is transmitted to dig-out. Am I correct?
I too dont have much technical knowledge.

When I take-out signal from Digital-out then DAC is bypassed. Direct CD-pickup is transmitted to dig-out. Am I correct?
I too dont have much technical knowledge.

Yes, the DAC gets its signal from I2S format which is used for further processing it to Analogue out. The digital out signal is obtained from the micro controller before the DAC. You can use this digital out to connect to an external DAC with some added circuits.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back