Mogami & Italian Reference DIY RCA Interconnects

Record Player

Here goes. I've been wanting a set of RCA interconnects and finally I took the DIY route and made me self a couple of RCA interconnects. After a lot of reading and rave reviews of DIY cables, I thought me must give this a try. Joshua had me convinced as well. So began looking specifically for Mogami or Gotham cables which are typically used for console/ studio cabling. Joshua and I landed up with Mogami 2806 and an Italian Reference Cable supposed to be really good. I ordered the Neutrix REAN Connectors from Chennai for this build as well.

I got to the job earlier today and in a couple of hours made me self a couple of interconnects. One with Mogami and the other the Italian Reference cable. Impressions.... I was in awe :)

Tested both these cables on the same setup and song. These cables really changed the way my system sounds. Definitely a great deal of improvement. Noise is much lower which I tested at high volumes. The mids and highs are extremely clear and detailed. Soundstage much better. How I tested is with one new cable for one channel and the other channel was the stock RCA. Clearly the new cable outperformed the stock cable when switching channels. After a good 20-30hrs of burning-in these will be simple fantastic. When connected this to the Garrard 401, I was simply in awe. I don't have expensive cables to do a comparo but me friends tell me they have compared these to very expensive cables and the difference was marginal :).

No favourite picked yet as I still need to clock some listening time to arrive at the verdict between the two.

List of stuff used for this build:

Cables and Cutters
RCA Connectors
Soldering Iron, Solder Wire and Flux
Cable Sleeves
Heat shrink Tubes
Continuity Test Tool

Conclusion - Going to make a few more sets. No need to spend thousands of $$$ on cables anymore. I strongly recommend these to all Forum Members. You will really be surprised what these cables can do and really light on the pocket as well. This was my first attempt in making interconnects and I am very particular on finish as well so hope you guys think the finish is fine.

Cheers and now some pictures:

A069124E-3313-4D0F-A100-938CB9B8C0AA_zpszfexu4ho.jpg

55D5F5C4-20F0-43FE-861D-185793CFB499_zps4pyv9r5j.jpg

5C99FBF0-FC19-48DA-AAE5-871C65E8DD60_zpspaqoblyy.jpg

F82F549A-B9CD-4789-9979-2D70CEDF4CD2_zpsy5dz9yme.jpg

54E7D33B-53FE-40D8-9DE6-65151A65B8DA_zpsrebcgmhn.jpg

61D480D3-A579-4EC1-AD09-0F9D724346A1_zpsdccxtprf.jpg

Last edited:
Good work. I like the idea of using sleeves.

Almost all ICs I use are studio stuff (Mogami and Gotham), mostly DIY. They are great VFM.

Record Player, has this cable any 'directive' arrow marking on that? or anything printed on the cable? Generally, it is said that the direction of printing which could be assumed as the 'direction' of the cable. Do we need to worry about the thing in a audio cable? or is it a mythical thing?
Cheers,
sunder.

Very nice work!

Did you terminate the shield at both ends or only at the source?
Thanks Keith. I terminated the shield at both ends.
You should try Mogami 2549. You will be even happier.
Thanks. Will definitely try the 2549 for sure. Will also try a different set of connectors as well.
Great! :clapping:
Do post costs. And the sources of the cables and the Neutriks.
Thanks guys. Will post the commercials shortly. Roughly each set of cables (1.5. / Total 3m) worked out to about INR 900/- or even a bit lower. Will share details shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neutrik Rean is a very synergistic match with Mogami. I have tried many connectors including the expensive Eichmann Bullets, WBT, Neutrik Pro-fi, Audio Note (Kondo) Silver etc. I stuck to Neutrik Rean finally. You may want to try Vampire connectors if you are curious and let us know our observation.

Even better if you can find a Mogami 2803 cable. I am yet to see one on sale but it is supposedly the best mogami cable. I would love to buy one if I could find.

Even better if you can find a Mogami 2803 cable. I am yet to see one on sale but it is supposedly the best mogami cable. I would love to buy one if I could find.

I agree, the 2803 would be fantastic. Difficult to get here though. I am trying to see if I can have this arranged from the US.

Hi Dr. Bass according to Mogami website 2806 is similar to 2409 except smaller outer jacket of 2806.
MOGAMI? - Internal / External Console Wiring Cables

Similar to '2549'. Not 2409. Having seen both the 2549 and 2806, there is one more major difference - 2549 has superior shielding. It is also very soft and flexible whereas the 2806 has more rigid jacket (of course I don't know if that difference has sonic effects).

Similar to '2549'. Not 2409. Having seen both the 2549 and 2806, there is one more major difference - 2549 has superior shielding. It is also very soft and flexible whereas the 2806 has more rigid jacket (of course I don't know if that difference has sonic effects).

Sorry for typo.Its similar to 2549 :)

Regards
Sachin

Any idea which Mogami would be best for purely phono interconnect? I had read somewhere that Jelco's (not too costly) tonearm cables are Mogami. I am guessing it would be coaxial with vanishing capacitance and not dual core balanced cable like the W2549 or W2806.
Sorry for typo.Its similar to 2549 :)
The model numbers are confusing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Will post the commercials shortly. Roughly each set of cables (1.5. / Total 3m) worked out to about INR 900/- or even a bit lower. Will share details shortly.

I am also looking for same connectors for my mogami 2549 cables. can you tell me where you got those connectors and cost of same.

Gents - The REAN Neutrix Connectors were ordered from Chennai. I paid INR 100/- per connector with an additional 2% on the overall bill. Shipping charges will be extra.

Cinitekk Chennai
+91 4443542790

My first order with them went absolutely smooth. Got the package in one day.

Cheers...

Some pix from my build

1) The sleeve 1
vWB6YYt.jpg

2) The sleeve 2
IlYUYBZ.jpg

3) The sleeve 3
ZonR6dt.jpg

4) The sleeve 4
h9lvnrt.jpg

5) Amphenol APRC RCA connectors
lJhgoDQ.jpg

6) Stripping the outer insulation and trimming the cotton thread fillers
ZXy37Ac.jpg

7) Stripping the insulation of the conductors
bZ7mbIe.jpg

8) Negative (return) and shield are shorted. In case you want to make directional cable, short the return and shield only at source end, and do not short the shield to the return at destination end. Before twisting together the shield with the return conductor, cut off about half of the shield as using the whole shield makes the twist too thick.
yRtp0sM.jpg

9) Prepping the RCA for soldering
1rRrt3M.jpg

10) Widen the claws of the RCA to enable the cable to pass through it. Clamp tightly after soldering is done.
ojWIf0x.jpg

11) Soldered and claws clamped down
gefss9w.jpg

12) Heatshrink fitted. You may need to widen the inner diameter of the heatshrink in case it is a tight fit.
yleXPgI.jpg

13) After the heat shrink sleeve has been shrunk with hot air
Wx8fkWt.jpg

14) Both cables done
y1ejejz.jpg

15) Labelling by hand. You can paste a printed legend. Labelling is useful to identify a cable which has been cover in techsleeving as the labels on the jacket are no longer visible after sheathing it.
PDuQ4l1.jpg

16) Labelling
iueWy23.jpg

17)
RGK5VMD.jpg

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back